Is it rly "Sushi" or is it actually Gimbap?! The most important Qestion! :'D

This bugged me a bit on my first playthrough, but now on my 2nd one I took another closer look esp on the waiters plate and they look way more like Gimbap (Korean: 김밥) to me.. Maybe Im just assuming things now, but hear me out!

They prob only went with Sushi coz its more known. Some ppl even might argue whats the difference?! I mean its the rice seasoning mostly, but who knows stuff like that... Oh ye me...

Anyway the take away should be if you have no clue what Gimbap is and you are a bit afraid of raw fish in your local Sushi. Try Gimbap its amazing. I used to love Sushi but I prefere Gimbap these days. I mean I eat both anyway. xD

BUT SRSLY! .. try Gimbap if you didnt.

Oh and here is a link to a Picture for refrence, why I think its Gimbap and not Sushi and the ingame Version. ^^

Gimbap or Kimbap

Ingame Plate

PS: If you are wondering what Kimbap/Gimbap means its actually easy its Kim for the Seeweed Sheet ( You may also know the Japanese word Nori for it) and Bap for rice or meal. 

Edited by Becii.7648
Link didnt work lel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Oh I didnt know that, since Im not an native english speaker I never realised that tbh. 

ofc it could also be a futomaki as I pointed out the only "real" difference is the rice seasoning since the filling can be basicly so many things, and thats actually the beauty of it. 

I think it might be Gimbap since they took alot inspiratin from Korean culture for Cantha so maybe also the food ^^'

• Like 1

Oh my. This little rat was assuming anything looking remotely like that ingame sushi plate was indeed sushi. I’ve always referred to food looking like that as sushi. Something with rice wrapped in seaweed=sushi in my head. Seems I was mistaken. Interesting. You learn something new every day 👀

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Oh my. This little rat was assuming anything looking remotely like that ingame sushi plate was indeed sushi. I’ve always referred to food looking like that as sushi. Something with rice wrapped in seaweed=sushi in my head. Seems I was mistaken. Interesting. You learn something new every day 👀

Yea the sushi place here in norway call thos sushi

Sushi.  Gimbap.  Sushbap?  Gimshi?  Lol think they called it sushi simply because of the familiarity for most people with it.  

It's the rice, it's the sesame oil, it's the ingredients, and both are delicious.  We'll leave it as ambiguous Canthan meal, where I still can't eat off the noodle carts and my charr slurps and burps like she has no manners at all.

Edited by Farohna.6247
  • Haha 6

The writers are probably not Asian and/or well versed in Asian cuisine. Besides, this is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
NCSoft (the parent company) would not be pleased though. Remember the whole reason Cantha was stated to not be released is because meshing different Asian cultures together was bound to offend someone somewhere. Younger people may not comprehend this especially if they are from the western hemisphere.

See https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged/page/2#post1385108

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

18 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

The writers are probably not Asian

Oh no Im not Asian at all, I just like the food. I figured more ppl know Sushi so I tought its a funny way to point that western ppl call every "seeweedroll" sushi even tho thats not always the case. I don't want to offend or shame anyone, but if one person that didnt know Gimbap gives it a try its a win for me. 😊

In the end you can only appreciate a culture that you had a chance to experience no? 

I love to see where Games and Artists get their inspiration from and this time they simply took alot form Korea (you can see that in their skins alot for example and also the music!)

20 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Sushi.  Gimbap.  Sushbap?  Gimshi?  Lol think they called it sushi simply because of the familiarity for most people with it.  

It's the rice, it's the sesame oil, it's the ingredients, and both are delicious.  We'll leave it as ambiguous Canthan meal, where I still can't eat off the noodle carts and my charr slurps and burps like she has no manners at all.

In the end thats very true! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Becii.7648 said:

Oh no Im not Asian at all, I just like the food. I figured more ppl know Sushi so I tought its a funny way to point that western ppl call every "seeweedroll" sushi even tho thats not always the case. I don't want to offend or shame anyone, but if one person that didnt know Gimbap gives it a try its a win for me. 😊

In the end you can only appreciate a culture that you had a chance to experience no? 

I love to see where Games and Artists get their inspiration from and this time they simply took alot form Korea (you can see that in their skins alot for example and also the music!)

Food is a great unifier and way to learn about a culture!  Brings people together and find something in common.  Also yes, I hope someone seeks out gimbap now out of curiosity!   I'm hungry now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Becii.7648 said:

My point was making a fuss about what it is called after the rationale Arenanet gave in the past about why they could not bring Cantha back (i.e. mixing Asian cultures offending people , see the thread I linked) is a good way to bring unwanted bad publicity.

If you are not Asian you might not know about underlying Japanese-Korean and Sino-Japanese tension especially among older generations (pre WWII). In fact two major public holidays relate to this: the March 1st Independence Movement Day 삼일절 (Samil-jeol) and August 15 National Liberation Day Gwangbokjeol (광복절).

At the end of the day NCSoft is still a South Korean company and one that also happens to be publicly traded. The fact that you post this the day after March 1 (the topic was made March 2) is quite something honestly.

edit: if you want an official reference and actual understanding of South Korean culture you might want to start by looking at the calendar. https://english.visitseoul.net/national-holidays

or just read the major English version Korean papers which incidentally highlights March 1
https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230301000138&np=2&mp=1
https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/03/01/national/politics/Korea-Yoon-Suk-Yeol-March-1-Independence-Movement/20230301113112611.html
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/03/356_346316.html

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Eh I'm Korean-American and was raised on gimbap, and I find it highly overrated. I mean it's fine, but I personally have zero desire to seek it out.

Conversely, I am a huge fan of eating merely unconscious fish. Sashimi far and away takes first place, followed closely by any sushi actually containing said unconscious fish.

As such, I was greatly pleased at the idea of my Commanders gorging on sushi. I say if Rama is lame enough to order massive piles of gimbap for the event, then Min is wise to limit contact with him.

• Haha 4

On 3/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, Becii.7648 said:

This bugged me a bit on my first playthrough, but now on my 2nd one I took another closer look esp on the waiters plate and they look way more like Gimbap (Korean: 김밥) to me.. Maybe Im just assuming things now, but hear me out!

I was more bothered by food randomly transmuting into ramen when eaten.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

There was a developer comment on this not long ago (last year, I think?). Its not because they think players aren't smart enough to understand, its that the game has to be translated into multiple languages and its very difficult to find a word that translates into all of them, as some words are just missing entirely.

For example, a common western misconception is that all Asian languages are similar, just like how players think Cantha is Chinese or Japanese themed when its actually Korean themed with some artistic license applied.

Someone mentioned they probably don't have Asian wrriters, but they brought some Korean writers, artists and musicians on during End of Dragon's development, which is discussed in one of the liverstreams (most of the music is authentic live-recorded Korean music, for example), and hinted more or less that the game would have a much more significant Korean influence going forward, so I really don't think that this is an issue of not having the correct input, but its a multinational game and thus has to target every audience with a "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

The writers are probably not Asian and/or well versed in Asian cuisine. Besides, this is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
NCSoft (the parent company) would not be pleased though. Remember the whole reason Cantha was stated to not be released is because meshing different Asian cultures together was bound to offend someone somewhere. Younger people may not comprehend this especially if they are from the western hemisphere.

See https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Cantha-Thread-Merged/page/2#post1385108

But they are Asian.  Arenanet has bragged about how for EoD they formed an Asian-cultural representation group specifically to oversee the development of EoD.  Specifically it is at the 28:00 mark on their Games for Good video listed in that link.  The only member of that group shown is a Korean woman.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Specifically it is at the 28:00 mark on their Games for Good video listed in that link.  The only member of that group shown is a Korean woman.  

Thanks for sharing this here I had no idea they did this. ^-^ the whole video is nice to watch too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

But they are Asian.  Arenanet has bragged about how for EoD they formed an Asian-cultural representation group specifically to oversee the development of EoD.  Specifically it is at the 28:00 mark on their Games for Good video listed in that link.  The only member of that group shown is a Korean woman.  

Says cinematic designer and also probably not old enough to care (similar any 2nd or 3rd gen Asian American, understandably). They are not a writer.

The video mentions attire and armor, so more of aesthetic than writing.

Moreover, if the story section is Fallout the menu is :

Spoiler

Sushi: Skipjack Roll - Tuna, crabmeat, seaweed, and cilantro rolled in rice, topped with roe. Order this and boost your body's natural power to heal and your magical acumen!

Sushi: Triple Temaki - Fresh Kaineng salmon, served inside seaweed rolls filled with radish, cucumber, and spicy mayo. Charisma will emanate from your every pore!

Grill: Charred Eel - Succulent eel sauteed with ginger, garlic and our special spicy house sauce. So potent you will feel yourself bursting with power!

Grill: Yellowtail - Seared tuna steaks drizzled in a refreshing honey-sesame glaze. You'll be filled with regenerative energy.

Chef's Special - Soup with rice noodles, grilled chunks of the day's catch, and topped with our own "special" roe. This bowl is sure to surprise and delight even the most critical of palates.

Edited by Infusion.7149

2 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Says cinematic designer and also probably not old enough to care (similar any 2nd or 3rd gen Asian American, understandably). They are not a writer.

The video mentions attire and armor, so more of aesthetic than writing.

Hide contents

Sushi: Skipjack Roll - Tuna, crabmeat, seaweed, and cilantro rolled in rice, topped with roe. Order this and boost your body's natural power to heal and your magical acumen!

Sushi: Triple Temaki - Fresh Kaineng salmon, served inside seaweed rolls filled with radish, cucumber, and spicy mayo. Charisma will emanate from your every pore!

Grill: Charred Eel - Succulent eel sauteed with ginger, garlic and our special spicy house sauce. So potent you will feel yourself bursting with power!

Grill: Yellowtail - Seared tuna steaks drizzled in a refreshing honey-sesame glaze. You'll be filled with regenerative energy.

Chef's Special - Soup with rice noodles, grilled chunks of the day's catch, and topped with our own "special" roe. This bowl is sure to surprise and delight even the most critical of palates.

She is just one member of the Asian cultural representation group.  There are others, just not with a public face.  kitten-Hee was originally hired to create the cinematics, but nonetheless she is tasked with overseeing the production of Canthan materials.  

On 3/5/2023 at 1:53 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

I was talking about the new story chapter What Lies Beneth us, the step A Raw Deal.

If you know what the meals in that instance are too, pls share with us. ty ❤️

• Like 1