What are peoples thoughts on all Jackal skins being usable with the Warclaw

Just checking peoples thoughts on this topic. Cause either the Jackal needs a buff, or it needs more use in all future zones. As it stands its just hardly used at all and yet it has some of the best skins in the game. 

Case in point, the Samoyed. A new floof to ride that has a lot of floof and is a lot of fun when a few people are riding one and jumping on any Charr that happens to be around till they play dead. And some great idle animations. But the Jackal is a very underused mount as its use is only in a few zones for a few seconds or some select races where it's better to use then the beetle or raptor. 

Yet the Warclaw would be the perfect fit to be able to use all unlocked  Jackal skins, as its something we all use in WVW whenever we mount, and already has dog skins so it could fit perfectly. 

To be honest I just want to see more of this new Floof. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

I would like more warclaw skins, but I wouldn't like them to just copy the jackal ones. (I am still kind of annoyed that the jackal got the tiger skin, since the warclaw is a cat, but I think they might have considered it too similar to the striped grimalkin.)

I disagree that the jackal is underused. It's rare that you're required to use it, but that's true of all mounts, even in newer maps most of the time you could just run around and only mount up when you need one of their special abilities. It's one of the mounts I use most often, and I see a lot of other people riding them too. Whether it's got the best skins is subjective, but I don't think they'd make as many skins for it if no one used it.

So I'd prefer them to make more warclaw skins rather than just copying them over from the jackal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I believe that the two mounts use different rigs.

As for the jackal being underused, that is perhaps subjective.  It is my go-to mount when on the ground.

Yeah, I'm using it more and more as well lately on the ground. Well, aside from the speed beetle of course. But when that's not a good use, I recently re-discovered the jackal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

When I travel on the ground, I usually use the Jackal when I'm not on my human Elementalist or Warrior. I use the default Raptor skin, so the yellow underside doesn't fit with my other characters. So I don't think it's underused at all.

I'd like to use my Wintersday Jackal skin in WvW, but I doubt Arenanet will ever do this kind of change.

Edited by Fueki.4753

Underused by you.  I use it as a primary mount, I like the quicker turns and blinking past enemies.  There are some skins that would lend themselves to warclaw very nicely, and possibly should have been warclaw to begin with.  But I would rather see just adding more warclaw skins instead of using jackal ones.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I believe that the two mounts use different rigs.

As for the jackal being underused, that is perhaps subjective.  It is my go-to mount when on the ground.

The Jackal is my favorite land mount. There is a certain cool factor to teleporting past enemies, across ravines, etc.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much never use my jackal except in those few mount races that have lots of up hill.  Then it's objectively faster.

Otherwise, I find raptor faster and more enjoyable.  I like how the raptor defies physics itself and can turn on a dime mid jump inexplicably.

I know in a heads up flat race, the 2 are nearly equal.  So its a matter of do you want to go faster down hill (raptor) or faster up hill (jackal).

The lack of jackal portals in Cantha where they are really needed is frustrating.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

I pretty much never use my jackal except in those few mount races that have lots of up hill.  Then it's objectively faster.

Otherwise, I find raptor faster and more enjoyable.  I like how the raptor defies physics itself and can turn on a dime mid jump inexplicably.

I know in a heads up flat race, the 2 are nearly equal.  So its a matter of do you want to go faster down hill (raptor) or faster up hill (jackal).

The lack of jackal portals in Cantha where they are really needed is frustrating.

Jackal is also superior if there are a lot of sharp turns.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

So you actively on purpose choose to use the worse, slower, ground mount because it is objectively the worst way to travel on the ground by a decent margin

It really isn't.

12 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Do you hate facts? Do facts trouble you? 

Good questions, wrong direction. Overally: which mount will be better depends on the situation you're in.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The problem with Jackal skins is that they are reaching a situation of overload. There are so many and even cat based skins like tigers are ending up on jackal from time to time. There are only so many skins someone can regularly use on the mount. If the objective is to sell skins, then just saying "four legs = jackal" is going to be less and less effective as time goes on.

What they should be doing is working out a way to put turtles into WvW. Thats a mount that is being forced into action by putting in things like the Gyala Delves breakable walls or those barriers in dragons end - maybe put the seige mount into a battle that actually has a seige going on, even if it means limiting it in some way for balance. They clearly want us to buy more turtle mounts and apparently gave up, going to endless skiffs instead.

Edited by chronometria.3708
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Obv troll is obv. Your “facts” are lacking. Possibly since it seems you mostly play WvW and don’t have much open world experience.

As an open world player, I see jackal used as much as I see skyscales. Many people prefer jackal over raptors for various reasons. Jackal is easier to turn around and control. And in slopes, jackal does not lose momentum when using their jump skill. Meaning up slopes, jackal will be faster and down slopes, raptor is faster. And on a flat terrain jackal is quite close to raptor in speed as shown in this video. 

This video is nonsense, why would you time a griphon without using his glide?

What the OP obviously meant is that the jackal is useless when you have the skyscale and griphon since:

-the skyscale is king on short horizontal/vertical distance

-the griphon is king on long distances when used in pair with the double dash+endurance resfresh+double dash+jump out of mount+ griphon glide

-if we want to include linear straight paths then beetle is also probably the best, leaving no room for the jackal

• Confused 7

17 minutes ago, gianpiede.7294 said:

This video is nonsense, why would you time a griphon without using his glide?

What the OP obviously meant is that the jackal is useless when you have the skyscale and griphon since:

-the skyscale is king on short horizontal/vertical distance

-the griphon is king on long distances when used in pair with the double dash+endurance resfresh+double dash+jump out of mount+ griphon glide

-if we want to include linear straight paths then beetle is also probably the best, leaving no room for the jackal

With this logic, you could say the same about the skimmer. Why is it not in water? This is regarding what mount players tend to choose if they go by land. Not air or water. The mount in question is not the griffon but the Jackal. Griffon needs height to get their speed and they do best in air. No one is disputing that. Beetle is also good at their strength. But not when there are a lot of obstacles and terrain. Every mount is good, which is the main point here. There is no "useless" mount.

The video shows jackal speed compared to raptor which proves the mount in question is not useless as many players prefer it before raptor due to their easy turnarounds and upwards slopes. The people in this topic disproves the person I quoted that stated it's barely used and I merely showed the video to prove it's actually almost as fast as the raptor. You missed the point.

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

With this logic, you could say the same about the skimmer. Why is it not in water? This is regarding what mount players tend to choose if they go by land. Not air or water. The mount in question is not the griffon but the Jackal. Griffon needs height to get their speed and they do best in air. No one is disputing that. Beetle is also good at their strength. But not when there are a lot of obstacles and terrain. Every mount is good, which is the main point here. There is no "useless" mount.

The video shows jackal speed compared to raptor which proves the mount in question is not useless as many players prefer it before raptor due to their easy turnarounds and upwards slopes. The people in this topic disproves the person I quoted that stated it's barely used and I merely showed the video to prove it's actually almost as fast as the raptor. You missed the point.

the reason i don't say that about the skimmer is because you can consider how useful something is by how much in general it is useful to accomplish your goal in the best way, your goal with mounts is 99% of the time to travel from point A to point B the fastest way, it does not really matter wich way you use, griffon does not need a lot of height, as i said in the post you quoted you can do the combo i wrote with the skyscale and you will get the height needed pretty much everywhere. That is the reason every single speed farming train uses almost solely the three mounts i listed, because they are clearly the best at doing such tasks and outshine all the other mounts

• Confused 4

20 minutes ago, gianpiede.7294 said:

the reason i don't say that about the skimmer is because you can consider how useful something is by how much in general it is useful to accomplish your goal in the best way, your goal with mounts is 99% of the time to travel from point A to point B the fastest way, it does not really matter wich way you use, griffon does not need a lot of height, as i said in the post you quoted you can do the combo i wrote with the skyscale and you will get the height needed pretty much everywhere. That is the reason every single speed farming train uses almost solely the three mounts i listed, because they are clearly the best at doing such tasks and outshine all the other mounts

You’re still missing the point. Read the topic and perhaps you’ll understand what the op claimed and why it was disputed. The topic has nothing to do with these three mounts you’re talking about. 

Let me break it down for you. The op wants jackal skins for their warclaw, and created a topic claiming jackal is barely used to justify making their skins available for warclaws. 

Several posters disputed their claim about the mount saying they usually use jackal for various reasons. I provided the video to show why some players may choose the jackal over raptor since it’s almost as fast as the raptor but is easier to steer and is faster in upward slopes. 

At no point does the op talk about the mounts you’re talking about. This is not about which mount is better to use but about a claim that was made that the jackal is “barely” used. Just because they want their skins available for them on warclaw since they play mostly WvW and want the floof that just got released.

They could simply suggest a new skin for the warclaw but chose to use hyperbole and claim their subjective opinions as facts. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

You’re still missing the point. Read the topic and perhaps you’ll understand what the op claimed and why it was disputed. The topic has nothing to do with these three mounts you’re talking about. 

Let me break it down for you. The op wants jackal skins for their warclaw, and created a topic claiming jackal is barely used to justify making their skins available for warclaws. 

Several posters disputed their claim about the mount saying they usually use jackal for various reasons. I provided the video to show why some players may choose the jackal over raptor since it’s almost as fast as the raptor but is easier to steer and is faster in upward slopes. 

At no point does the op talk about the mounts you’re talking about. This is not about which mount is better to use but about a claim that was made that the jackal is “barely” used. Just because they want their skins available for them on warclaw since they play mostly WvW and want the floof that just got released.

They could simply suggest a new skin for the warclaw but chose to use hyperbole and claim their subjective opinions as facts. 

Do you realize that if someone claims that a mount is barely used it implies that he is also saying that other mounts provide the function that specific mount offers but better, and that's the reason that mount is deemed as useless in the first place?

Also it is not subjective that:

1- mounts primary scope is to travel from points A to B as fast as you can

2- the jackal is overshadowed in every aspect by the 3 mounts i listed

3- if the jackal does not offer anything better than those 3 mounts it will be worse to use excluding for very-specific context (sand portals), therefore making it "useless"

Edited by gianpiede.7294
  • Confused 5

Just now, gianpiede.7294 said:

Do you realize that if someone claims that a mount is barely used it implies that he is also saying that other mouns provide the function that specific mount offers therefore that's the reason that mount is deemed as useless in the first place?

3- if the jackal does not offer anything better than those 3 mounts it will be worse to use excluding for super-specific uses, therefore making it "useless"

You clearly don’t get the point. Not everyone is in a rush and wants to get to A to B as fast as possible. That is a personal preference. All your points are subjective opinions and personal preferences.  So no point trying to explain. I tried. You got your subjective opinions, as all the rest of us that choose jackal over raptor or other mounts for whatever reasons. And you’re free to feel the way you do. Have a nice day

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, gianpiede.7294 said:

Do you realize that if someone claims that a mount is barely used it implies that he is also saying that other mounts provide the function that specific mount offers but better, and that's the reason that mount is deemed as useless in the first place?

3- if the jackal does not offer anything better than those 3 mounts it will be worse to use excluding for very-specific context (sand portals), therefore making it "useless"

But that's just wrong. It's only true when you limit your "point A to point B" path in the way that will show the result you want to show. Add varying terrain with inclines, less open space and/or more frequent turns and your posts are completely invalid. It's not barely used, it's not useles and it's not objectively outclassed in every aspect by 3 mounts (and that's without sandportals).

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But that's just wrong. It's only true when you limit your "point A to point B" path in the way that will show the result you want to show. Add varying terrain with inclines, less open space and/or more frequent turns and your posts are completely invalid. It's not barely used, it's not useles and it's not objectively outclassed in every aspect by 3 mounts.

Skyscale can turn just as much and is so much better on terrains with inclines, it can even literally climb mountains, the only valid point is when the skyscale has no space to mount since it's bigger, but there are probably just a few places in the entire game where this point is valid.

Saying that using mounts to get from point A to point B isn't what their purpose is 95% of the times is simply clutching on straws, i would very much love to see you keep up with any farm train that uses skyscale/griphon/beetle to tag all the events

• Confused 8

On 3/18/2023 at 10:32 PM, gianpiede.7294 said:

Skyscale can turn just as much

Not really, considering jackal can do a literal "180" without skipping a bit with it's skill.

and is so much better on terrains with inclines

Skyscale is better than jackal on terrain with inclines? Maybe if you're way above those inclines, which is another way to intentionally miss the point (and you'd first need to get above those, which in many cases isn't even reasonably worth it).

, it can even literally climb mountains,

That's a completely separate thing than moving on the inclining ground though? Also depending on the height, springer can be better than skyscale here 🤷‍♂️

the only valid point is when the skyscale has no space to mount since it's bigger,

No, it's not the only point, it's one of the valid points. You're simply trying to disregard any environment that wouldn't fit your claim.

Saying that using mounts to get from point A to point B isn't what their purpose is 95% of the times is simply clutching on straws,

I never said "getting from point A to point B isn't what their purpose is 95% of the time". I'm saying you're intentionally picking circumstances matching your previously chosen result, which mostly consists of straight -mostly flat- lines between points A and B, while in many situation that's not what the route is.

i would very much love to see you keep up with any farm train that uses skyscale/griphon/beetle to tag all the events

Already did, still do. The biggest issue might actually be the beetle at certain, farily limited, situations.

Edited by Sobx.1758
consists
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1