Balancing Heal/Quickness Warrior

Oddtz.2376

I was excited when Warrior got access to quickness, believing it would dethrone Firebrand as the go to heal/quickness or at the very least reduce Firebrand’s market share a bit. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. After playing heal/quickness Firebrand and numerous variations of heal/quickness Warrior, I started to think about the balance changes it would take to bring Warrior closer in capabilities to Firebrand.

I came up with 3 small changes to core Warrior that I think will help a heal/quickness build.

1. Swap the regeneration pulsed by (Banner of Defense) with the resistance pulsed by (Banner of Tactics).

Currently it is possible to keep 100% quickness uptime with just Banner of Tactics, you just need 100% boon duration and 100% alacrity uptime which will need to come from someone else. On the other hand regeneration is an important boon in healing builds as it handles chip damage and keeps your allies topped off so you don’t waste larger heals on small damage, because of this it is more common to run both banners and have less boon duration. This also has its downside and this only leaves you with 1 shout which is your primary burst heal, limiting your healing capabilities; the nerf to (Tactical Reload) didn’t help either. Having regeneration on Banner of Tactics would free up a utility slot for another shout, increasing healing capacity.

2. Swap (Double Standards) in the Discipline Specialization with (Warrior’s Cunning) in the Tactics Specialization.

I believe this change speaks for itself, Double Standards and Warrior's Cunning are the two vital traits in a heal/quickness build. Having them in separate specializations limits build diversity as only one free specialization slot remains. Most other support builds have their important traits all in one specialization, like Firebrand.

3. Change (Mending Might) to heal the ally as well.

Warrior doesn’t have a support main-hand or two-hand, but warrior does have (Fierce Shot) on rifle and (Keen Strike) on dagger. Both of these skills grant might to allies, turning them into pseudo-support weapons. The base healing of the trait might need some changing, perhaps decreasing the base healing and increasing the scaling or treating it like the thief trait (Shadow Savior) where allies are healed more than yourself. 

It's likely that all they wanted from the patch that gave Quickness to Banners was to get rid of unique boons in the game.

I doubt they intended for Warrior to be a viable Quickness provider.

If they had wanted for Warrior to become viable for that role, they would have significantly reworked Warrior's support capabilities and how Banners actually work - but they didn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You need Double Standards and Martial Cadence in the same traitline as Vigorous Shouts, and in all separate tiers for support warrior to work until they give us a support espec.

If that happened, then what I can see becoming of this (especially if Tactics was moved to the heal slot) would be:

Heal: Banner of Tactics

Util: SiO, FGJ, any other shout for heals/util or BoD

And Elite goes to Battle Standard as you'd need Phalanx to have any use out of SoR

Still it does not sound as potent of a build and even with TTL instead of BoT (since we don't actually have it in the Heal slot) you can't even play with the third utility option.

As for Warrior's Cunning OP, I think having it conflict with DotE might not be the best thing for warrior considering the importance of that damage increase in competetive (which is not that bad). 

As I have personally said in the past, removing the banners from Discipline should open space for defensive selfish utility instead and more movement synergy.

Tho they could potentially merge Cunning with DotE into something like: "Gain a damage increase per unique buff on enemies (3%) and strike additional dmg to enemies with high health (10%) or barrier (5%)" .

Might be too bloated but meh it's not like Tactic's Warriors in competetive would run that over Empowered for constant Might or Shrug it off for a low CD stunbreak (good for enemy pull/spikes).

But I digress, just some ideas since some traitline changes would impact warr in all gamemodes.

I don't think heal Warrior should exists without an espec to support it. You would be asking to shoehorn everything say, a heal Firebrand can do into the core Warrior shell, which I don't believe can be reasonably done without either immense jank (see: shout healing vs banners now) rendering it unusable, or big tradeoffs (read: nerfs) to other aspects of Warrior.

Of course, we might no longer be getting especs with expacs, so...

Edited by Jzaku.9765
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 2:32 AM, Oddtz.2376 said:

2. Swap (Double Standards) in the Discipline Specialization with (Warrior’s Cunning) in the Tactics Specialization.

No thank you! People want qdps. A warrior can do that. If you switch the traits you not only doom that master trait in discipline to 0/3 good choices but also ruin every qdps build because you want to play guardian. Then play a guardian!

On 3/4/2023 at 10:48 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

It's likely that all they wanted from the patch that gave Quickness to Banners was to get rid of unique boons in the game.

I doubt they intended for Warrior to be a viable Quickness provider.

If they had wanted for Warrior to become viable for that role, they would have significantly reworked Warrior's support capabilities and how Banners actually work - but they didn't.

yep, the whole quickness schtick was a quick fix bandaid, they just slapped that all on there. better than leaving it as it was i guess. but they could've/should've made it better.

pretty sure if not for the sparked outrage at the time they'd have left it as is, and thats that with the whole "warrior is fine" garbage.

• Confused 2