Ranger or mech

kaelk.7469

So I am currently tossing up between ranger or mech, I want to play a class with a pet and mainly focusing on all forms of pve content as dps working toward legendary etc and smashing out content. What would be the pick or any pros/cons welcome to feedback and or options. 

It kinda depends what kind of playstyle you prefer, what difficulty level you want to play and how impactful the pet should be. 

Ranger pets are pretty much useless. They deal a very low amount of damage/ provide a little bit of utility. Soulbeast (probably the main ranger spec atm) doesn't even have a pet since they're fused together. 

Untamed can be interesting to play, and has a somewhat decent pet dmge output. It is very powerful & fun to play in the open world, yet has probably the highest skillfloors& ceiling in the game for instanced content. You can expect to buttonmash alot. 

Mechanist are quite strong and have one of the lowest skillfloors ingame. Your mech will also deal a significant amount of your damage/heal/boon output. Its also one of the strongest especs for the open world atm. Mech doesnt really provide many entertaining/challenging play styles, but it will allow you to focus more on f.e. fight mechanics. Its probably one of the best especs for those who want to learn new strikes/raids etc. 

Both Mechanist and Untamed are very good right now.  Untamed has a higher dps ceiling but it is one of the more difficult specs to get the rotation right.  

Both fill a similar role in pure dps or the option to play alacrity dps.  But one thing to note is that mechanist can also play a healer and ranger would need to swap to Druid to do so.  

Honestly they are both good right now so I would choose whichever you think is coolest visually or theme wise.