Male Hips

For ten years I've thought that the human male models all looked a little chunky.

Then they released the Savage Scale armor. I suddenly realized that all prior pants had a waistline at the natural waist, often with a thick belt, or skins, or ornamenation. The Savage Scale loincloth is, to my knowledge, the only pants that sit at the hips on male characters. Even the underwear sits at the natural waist.

The only reason I thought male Sylvari didn't have this is because their underwear is just a leaf, showing that they do have modeled hips. The same "thick belt" thing, though, applies to almost all the armor, leading to consistant comments over the years that most armor makes male Sylvari look chunky.

I know through most of fashion history, men have worn their waist at their natural waist, and wearing at the hips is unique to small sections of time. GW2 has never been slavishly historical however, and our current sensibilities put men's waists around the hip area. I work in theatre, and it's a constant battle to get actors to pull their pants up to a historically accurate natural waist. It just doesn't look right to most of us because of recent fashion.

Which is all to say, it'd be nice if we could get future armor skins with more waistline variety for males. When skins sit at the natural waistline, it'd be great to had some designs without all the bulk, and it'd be nice to have more designs that sit at the hips.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

I think that would only work if they're designed to leave a gap between the leggings and the top. That's why they all have the belt in the same place, it's the line where it joins the top piece. On some sets it's designed to make at least parts of it look like 1 item - light devout garb and leggings for example, where the flap on the front of the leggings is a continuation of the top. That's why a lot of heavy leggings have what players tend to call 'butt capes' - it's the bottom of the cuirass (and/or tunic).

I think that's also why so many have thick belts (or sashes or something else), it helps conceal the join. A lot of medium armour leggings don't have that, because they're intended to be worn over a long coat which will cover it entirely and it can look very odd when a piece just stops.

I think it could work, there's some female armour peices which dip down in front like the savage scale does and with the right top it looks ok, but I think it would limit what you can combine it with.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Armor skins are essentially "model part" replacements, they don't sit "on top" of the nude model, they replace it. So they can't raise or lower it because it would leave a gap or clip into when combined with other armor pieces.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Battling irl for actors to pull their pants up, battling on the game forum to pull pants down... How about you leave people's pants alone?

When it's a costumer's job to get period right, they need to make sure actors understand how to wear their costumes.

I'll definitely leave your pants alone.

Options are nice.

All the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Armor skins are essentially "model part" replacements, they don't sit "on top" of the nude model, they replace it. So they can't raise or lower it because it would leave a gap or clip into when combined with other armor pieces.

Ah, I thought it was an overlay.

• Confused 1

Ah, yes. The hips don’t lie. 

My poor male rat struggles to find decent pants sometimes. There are a few good options, but many of the pants looks like he made a wedgie on himself. And the waistband fits right under his armpits. 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Ah, I thought it was an overlay.

Well, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but no, it's a replacement for that part of the model.

That's why you have stuff like invisible slippers, pirate peg leg and other stuff possible that isn't part of the original model.

Outfits could probably have raised or lowered hips if Anet wants to do that, but not armor.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Well, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but no, it's a replacement for that part of the model.

That's why you have stuff like invisible slippers, pirate peg leg and other stuff possible that isn't part of the original model.

Outfits could probably have raised or lowered hips if Anet wants to do that, but not armor.

Except female armor has varied waistlines. And we now have one example of male armor with the waistline at the hips.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Which ones? Just curious.

The medium Whispers leggings have a V shaped cut out the front on female characters (mirroring an upwards cut in the top). The light Embroidered leggings do the same thing and the Winged leggings not only have a lower belt but also show the characters legs. That's just a few examples, I'm not going to list all of them.

There's many armour skins which show some or all of the characters skin in other places and that always matches what they'd look like without anything on, including things like norn tattoos and charr fur patterns. So whether it's replacing the model or sitting on top of it clearly Anet can design armour skins which let your characters skin show, the OP is just asking for them to do it at the waistline on male characters, like they already do for female characters.

17 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

So how would you explain the fact that chest and leg pieces end at various heights? For me it sucks a lot when trying to mix and match these. I'm talking female characters but either you're wrong or I misunderstood what you're saying. I'm very much open to being wrong btw, but then I would like to understand how that can be.

There are gaps or clipping when mixing and matching different armor pieces from different sets is what I'm saying. So that's a reality.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Which ones? Just curious.

Sorcerous, embroidered, winged and tribal have lower waistlines on female, in addition to those Danikat mentioned.

For males, the savage scale sits very low on the hips. To my knowledge, it’s the only pants skin in the game that does that on males.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

it was today I learned men wear pants on waist/above waist. I never did notice it.

Not that long ago in real life many men seemed to be trying to wear them around their knees.

• Haha 3

I prefer stuff @ hips even irl. The Savage Scale revealed how well designed the male models actually are. It's been hiding all this time.

I thought it was both funny and sad that for the longest time when you simply searched "GW2" in discord gifs the first and one of very few results was this gif  and it had a caption like "getting on GW2." I was like wow the rest of the world looking into GW2 from outside must feel this way, lol. Ever since EoD release at some point it seems to of been deleted.

• Haha 2