Microlags after 3-4 hours of playtime

So as the title suggests, ive been experiencing these microlags throughout the past 3 weeks, ive finally found out it happens after 2 to 3 hours or more of playing and the microlag will stay there till a game restart, what is going on anet and why is this happening?

- checked temps, all were good for both CPU & GPU

- Disabled turbo boost in BIOS

- Did a fresh install of windows 11

- Updated drivers, reverted to old drivers

- Checked internet connection + resetted the router for safety

- Checked for external hardware problems, keyboard & mouse no issues

- Checked for memory issues, no issues, all healthy and passed through tests

- Tried swapping USB ports

- Lowered mouse polling rate

- Played with alot of the settings around ingame

And theres much more ive tried that i could write down here but that would be a complete essay.

Ive seen other posts on the forum of all sorts of problem as of late patch, but this has been a problem for me since the WvW update, it happens everywhere i go after longer playtimes.

Opening a ticket is completely useless since anet cant even find anything wrong with my pc, its on anets side this time, either Engine Related, DX11 related, or Servers related.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Noticed this as well. 

After playing for more than an hour, game becomes choppy and starts getting micro stutters.
Especially noticeable if I browse through bank wardrobe.
It will also slow down a little and delays will be noticeable; for example using total makeover kit to browse faces/hairstyles/colors and it will get a 1s delay sometimes too. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

Especially noticeable if I browse through bank wardrobe.

Do you guys happen to be using the new randomize features like for outfits, minis, and gliders where it randomizes the selection every time you load into a map?

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Do you guys happen to be using the new randomize features like for outfits, minis, and gliders where it randomizes the selection every time you load into a map?

Nope, not using any of that.

But now it makes me wonder... do you think that 'randomize' is causing the problem?
I clicked on the option once or twice just to see what it did.

Edited by Blur.3465

Its likely caused by CoherentUI, which is a 32-bit framework and eventually runs out of memory since it can only use 4GB and has memory leaks. This results in a playing time of about 2-3 hours before it starts to do weird things, which for some players is just outright crashing the whole game.

They're removing it soon, as the many issues with it presumably just can't be solved.

That said, you're using Windows 11 which isn't a stable operating system and never will be. I don't want to go into specifics here but its basically the Vista of the Windows 10 era, and Microsoft has made wide, sweeping changes under the hood, so even though it looks and feels okay on the surface compatibility is mediocre at best, especially in regards to drivers. This is why its not officially supported by ArenaNet.

Microsoft always does stable and unstable cycles of Windows releases, though they claim every version is stable. You can see this by looking at their history: XP(stable), Vista(unstable), 7(stable), 8(unstable), 10(stable), 11(unstable). They don't mean for it to be this way, its just how things end up because they always feel the need to overhaul the operating system in every other version.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SoftFootpaws.9134true, but ive spoken to people on windows 11,10,7 versions with the same issue i described above, ive been on w11 since last year may, never had issuee until 3 weeks ago up until now.

We know everything is poorly optimized and this is the result of many things people are complaining about, but im glad you gave me a answer on coherantui.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Its likely caused by CoherentUI, which is a 32-bit framework and eventually runs out of memory since it can only use 4GB and has memory leaks. This results in a playing time of about 2-3 hours before it starts to do weird things, which for some players is just outright crashing the whole game.

They're removing it soon, as the many issues with it presumably just can't be solved.

Recent related dev comment: "Quick update: we plan to update the game browser to Chromium Embedded Framework in two weeks."
Was posted March 2nd so the update is possibly next week. They are likely going to see if this helps before doing anything else for this issue.

The comment: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/127754-did-chromium-embedded-framework-go-live-merged/page/2/#comment-1863379

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Melody.8123 said:

Okay my last bit here, i was on windows 11, i reainstalled window 11 and no avail, now i did a fresh install of windows 10, which is supported and compatible, and its still the same, its a kitten game issue here, my lord

This may sound stupid, but if it's Coherent, try changing to a different DNS service, flush your DNS cache, and see if that helps.  Google has free public DNS servers.

@Chaba.5410tried, didnt resolve the issue.

The fact that after everything i did to resolve it on my end, from software, to hardware, its nuts.

Anet needs to be ontop of this, its driving me nuts.

Also tried decreasing mouse polling rate, didnt do batcrap.

Also for extra safety measures, did a stresstest for both GPU & CPU, GPU Hits max 71C, CPU 81C, thats under FULL load,

In GW2 i barely hit 55c on the CPU, and 70C on GPU, now after reinstalling Windows OS twice, checked internet connection too aswell as resetting the router, contacting the ISP for maybe packet losses, nothings up on my end, i want to hear something from anets end this time.

• Haha 2

yes there is a leak somewhere you can easily notice it if you go world vs world and fighting a massive zerg, the more you do it your system wont get back to the usual, even if get out of wvw the only solution i found so far is closing the game itself.

• Sad 1

I did some further testing (ram related):

- Upgraded RAM from 16GB > 32GB @ 3600Mhz

Difference i noticed from upgrading:

- It takes a while longer for the game to become choppy, but as i looked in Resource Monitor & Task Manager, the game uses alot of RAM Usage, and the commited ram goes up but never gives back.

Image 1 (After 5 hours of playing): https://ibb.co/TtZz4qC

Image 2 (After 5.5 hours of playing while sitting in LA): https://ibb.co/ZXrrgHB

Image 3 (After restarting the game): https://ibb.co/6sp9B2c

Noticable is indeed coherent UI going up limitlessly, but the game reaching up to 4.5GB towards 5GB is a bit nuts for me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Melody.8123 said:

I did some further testing (ram related):

- Upgraded RAM from 16GB > 32GB @ 3600Mhz

Difference i noticed from upgrading:

- It takes a while longer for the game to become choppy, but as i looked in Resource Monitor & Task Manager, the game uses alot of RAM Usage, and the commited ram goes up but never gives back.

Image 1 (After 5 hours of playing): https://ibb.co/TtZz4qC

Image 2 (After 5.5 hours of playing while sitting in LA): https://ibb.co/ZXrrgHB

Image 3 (After restarting the game): https://ibb.co/6sp9B2c

Noticable is indeed coherent UI going up limitlessly, but the game reaching up to 4.5GB towards 5GB is a bit nuts for me.

On restart it always starts out smaller because it hasn't needed to load in all the graphic assets yet.

Played Dragon's End meta the other day, spending over 2 hours in EOD maps, and I watched Resource Monitor.  The commit size got over 6GB.  Commit size is the address space it's using and it grows as it needs to load up more assets.  That isn't all held in RAM.  Working set is what's in RAM (physical memory).  Everything is managed by virtualization so Windows will page part of it to disk (however it's configured to use the disk for paging) or Windows does it's memory compression thing too (which is dependent upon the CPU speed).  Keep in mind that my game graphics settings are not the best because I play WvW which is notoriously a slideshow if everything is turned up.

Here's a screenshot of my Resource Monitor at the end of 2 hours of play in WvW:
https://imgbb.com/2nZ7CHb

Edited by Chaba.5410

Its not paging, something else is going on with anet, it would be nice of them to acknowledge that atleast something is currently wrong, been having this issue for a bit longer then a month and still nothing. not being the only one helps but this just makes me want to quit the game for good, didnt buy a better pc for a more worse experience ofcourse.

If they come out with its problems with DX11 okay i can wait, or coherent ui doing this sure, but not getting anything from the Devs while after pretty much everything ive checked on my end is just pain.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My game performance has gotten worse lately. Microstutter,lower fps in wvw Zerg,and oddly quick black lines will flicker on my screen every once in awhile.  Specifically when I swap to my staff I’ll sometimes see a black line or notice a black line flicker on my top right screen. my mouse cursor stutters and loading screen and when I exit the game. UI sometimes stutters. sometimes I’ll get staticky sound and it happens in discord too. The worst is my game froze for a few secs along with discord. 

I’ve reinstalled windows

tried updating and rolling back video drivers. 
temps are fine 

Ran system file checker 

used msi afterburner to monitor cpu ram and gpu

at first I thought it was my computer but everything seems fine. Anyone else having lower performance lately? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

I think I’m having the same problem. I made a post about it. Wvw zergs went from fine to almost unplayable with 35 fps. 

Where did your post go?

Nvm, looks like it got merged into this one.

Edited by Chaba.5410

5 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

My game performance has gotten worse lately. Microstutter,lower fps in wvw Zerg,and oddly quick black lines will flicker on my screen every once in awhile.  Specifically when I swap to my staff I’ll sometimes see a black line or notice a black line flicker on my top right screen. my mouse cursor stutters and loading screen and when I exit the game. UI sometimes stutters. sometimes I’ll get staticky sound and it happens in discord too. The worst is my game froze for a few secs along with discord. 

I’ve reinstalled windows

tried updating and rolling back video drivers. 
temps are fine 

Ran system file checker 

used msi afterburner to monitor cpu ram and gpu

at first I thought it was my computer but everything seems fine. Anyone else having lower performance lately? 

Let us know what you've investigated so far.  There seems to be some bad timing with regards to Anet swapping everyone over to DX11, Anet working on trying to dump CoherentUI, and recent Windows updates that affect underlying security systems that may or may not impact performance.

Also let us know what your game graphics settings are, when you notice it the most, and if you've checked out the latest GPU drivers.

Edited by Chaba.5410