[After Patch] Laucher Freezes after clicking Log In --> Game won't start

Hi GW2 Team

After downloading todays patch, the game won't start anymore. I am on the Launcher and click log in, which in turn freezes the Launcher. Which makes it impossible to click ready/play. In fact clicking anything on the Launcher freezes it. 

Best

mooseman

• Like 3

instructions for the workaround for the less computer savvy.

right click on your gw2 desktop shortcut select "show file location"

Right click on the gw2.exe file (for me it says something like gw2_64.exe) select create shortcut. Keep the old shortcut as well.

Rename the new shortcut something so you know what it's for (I used Guild Wars 2 Workaround)

Right click on the new shortcut and select properties

In the target line add -usecoherent at the end, make sure there is a space between the end of what was already there and the new command (note if you're using steam you will need to add the command -provider Steam as well BEFORE -usecoherent with spaces inbetween)

click ok.

Use this new shortcut to start the game. When the problem has been fixed and the workaround is no longer needed you can delete the workaround shortcut and return to using the original shortcut.

Edited by Verglas.9436
new info
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi all, I am sorry this is happening. I can confirm that we are aware and working on it. 

In the meantime, a possible workaround is to add -usecoherent to your command line. The GW2 wiki has instructions on command line arguments if you're not familiar with this process. 

How do I do this for the Steam version? Doing it directly to the exe gives me a screen with account name and password fields and no "log in with steam" button.

1 hour ago, Verglas.9436 said:

instructions for the workaround for the less computer savvy.

right click on your gw2 desktop shortcut select "show file location"

Right click on the gw2.exe file (for me it says something like gw2_64.exe) select create shortcut

Rename the new shortcut something so you know what it's for (I used Guild Wars 2 Workaround)

Right click on the new shortcut and select properties

In the target line add -usecoherent at the end, make sure there is a space between the end of what was already there and the new command

click ok.

Use this new shortcut to start the game.

I had the same issue (win 7), but after doing this the game started normally. Mr. Verglas, your guide was really helpful, you're a savior

Edited by Val.7826
  • Like 1

Verglas' thing doesn't work for me T_T but it's my problem, cause the desktop shortcut I use is already a gw2-64.exe blabla, maybe I have to modify it but I'm scared of doing something wrong hehe

Edit: I found the "courage" (sorry, I will never be relaxed while doing things like this, not my thing hehe) and tried again, I think it worked!

Edited by Nymeria.1653
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nymeria.1653 said:

Verglas' thing doesn't work for me T_T but it's my problem, cause the desktop shortcut I use is already a gw2-64.exe blabla, maybe I have to modify it but I'm scared of doing something wrong hehe

Edit: I found the "courage" (sorry, I will never be relaxed while doing things like this, not my thing hehe) and tried again, I think it worked!

The good thing is that because it's simply a shortcut to the original .exe file you can always undue any changes by simply creating a new shortcut that has nothing added to the target line. This will act as a normal startup. You can create multiple shortcuts with different added commands and depending on which one you use it will only use that added command. So if you have one that is unaltered and one that has the -repair line added only the one with the repair line added will use the repair function. That's why you need to rename the shortcut so you know which one does what.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Game has been unplayable for me.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  Get to the splash screen, can click log in, but when it goes to play then the game closes with an error screen.  Tried the usecoherent suggestion, but that didn't work either.  I cannot play at all.  Please fix this! 😭😭

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1