New player help

boom.4586

2 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Yeah, no.

I understand the convenience of getting the legendary trinkets (I have some of them -Trascendence, Conflux, The Ascension-, and this year I will have the full set). But let me explain why the legendary armor (for your main and the other professions in the same tier of armor) has priority over the legendary trinkets:

Option A: You craft the legendary armor, and at the same time you get your full set of ascended trinkets for 0 gold farming currencies in the maps I cited. So you only need to spent gold in ascended weapons (untill you chose to go directly for the legendaries). Each ascended weapon/armor piece usually costs ~40/60 gold coins, by the way. Also, the amulet, ring and back pack from Bloodstone Fen can be reset in stats for barely 100 unbound magic, which is almost nothing.

Option B: You craft the legendary trinkets first (which takes longer and is more expensive than a single set of legendary armor, by the way), so now that gear is free for all your characters. Now you can farm ascended armor pieces in...  0 maps. You have to farm PvP, PvE or WvW content for tokens (oftenly capped by time) in content which is harder in time and requires WAY more effort than gathering winterberries or the icy currency from Bjora Marches, or rely in random drops of ascended gear from those content.

So, you go for the armor for 1/3 of your roster and get free ascended trinkets, or you go for the trinkets which benefits your whole roster BUT you  grind harder content or spent ~300 gold coins x each ascended armor set. And each different set of armor gear costs you the same whereas you can get ascended trinkets fir almost nothing.

That's my point of view. New players: prioritrize the legendary armor for your main, the accesories are almost free in farmeable currencies from Season 3 & 4 maps.

I can see how that makes sense for you.

Personally I'm glad to be done running circles around LW maps. Like I said, this may be colored by the fact that I don't have a "main" like you mention, but play many characters equally.

The other thing that is different is that you are pathing through ascended armor to legendary. I didn't need to grind for ascended armor on all my characters because a full set of exotic armor is more than fine until I replace them out with leggies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Personally I'm glad to be done running circles around LW maps. Like I said, this may be colored by the fact that I don't have a "main" like you mention, but play many characters equally.

The other thing that is different is that you are pathing through ascended armor to legendary. I didn't need to grind for ascended armor on all my characters because a full set of exotic armor is more than fine until I replace them out with leggies.

I play mostly 2 professions yet I unlocked all the legendary armors "just in case". Even my alts (18 characters in total) have at least two sets of ascended trinkets + underwater respirator.

Yes, exotics are valid for every content outside fractals ~25+ and maybe WvW, but a single piece of exotic berserker amor costs ~4/5 gold coins and a a viper one doubles that amount. For "stable" meta builds (as going berserker with Scholar runes) which remain BIS for years that approach works well, but for things as healers, offensive support and defensive supportr or just for trying solo builds in Open World, in which the balance patches oftenly make the preferences in runes to change is a PITA having to destroy or override a piece of gear just due you need to replace the runes.

Again, both approaches to the dilema are plausible, but I think that going for the armor first is less expensive and more convenient. Also, for the cost of the two legendary rings + the two legendary accesories + one of the back packs, you can pay the whole 3 sets of legendary armors. Mines, from PvP, cost me ~4k gold coins in total....

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I remember when I said it looks like some people complaining about legendary acquisition are seemingly doing that in order to easier completely skip ascended gear tier so I can't say reading this is in any way surprising, but it's nice to have a direct confirmation of what was already reasonably suspected while reading some of those posts 😄

Anyways, I think any talk about "aiming at legendary" for a new player (maaaybe other than amulet if we know they have every LW season unlocked) is not too good of an advice since it has too much potential to make them overfocus on what's not even close to being needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I remember when I said it looks like some people complaining about legendary acquisition are seemingly doing that in order to easier completely skip ascended gear tier so I can't say reading this is in any way surprising, but it's nice to have a direct confirmation of what was already reasonably suspected while reading some of those posts 😄

That's an... interesting... interpretation of what I wrote.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2