Skimmers left out and forgotten?

I prefer skimmer before skiffs apart from if I have to use a skiff.

Skimers hav't got any new skins in a long time. Is there a reason for that? Is there an overhaul of skimmer going on or have skimmers just got the same silly treatment as underwater weapons? What is your theory? Speculate away!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

Read my post again

???

You claimed it was one of the least used mounts, but I can't confirm this impression at all. I am seeing a lot more people on Skimmers when traversing water than I am spotting Skiffs.

So which part exactly should I read again?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

I've been wondering the same thing. It's not as if there's no water in Cantha, so lorewise there is no reason for there to be no new skimmer skins. At first I thought it could be coincidental for a set of adoption licenses to not contain any skimmer skins, but that's no longer the case. Then again, I'm not fan of this exclusively Canthan model mount strategy ANet is applying now. Griffons have now become tigers, springers are now birds, skyscales have had their wings clipped. I used to buy all the adoption license sets before EoD came out, but not anymore. It's cheaper to buy the 1 or 2 per set that I like (which are usually the ones that deviate from the standard Canthan mount skins).

I also don't understand why people would use a skiff over a skimmer. It's not as if it's considerably faster and its maneuverability is considerably inferior to that of the skimmer.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

???

You claimed it was one of the least used mounts, but I can't confirm this impression at all. I am seeing a lot more people on Skimmers when traversing water than I am spotting Skiffs.

One of the least used mounts doesn’t mean it is the least used mount. You see more players on raptor, skyscale, griffon, roller beetle and jackal than on skimmer. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6

He meant that in general it is the least used mount considering how much water we have in the game. And I completely agree with it. On the ground we see ppl using all mounts except skimmer, mostly skyscale imo. I for example use skyscale even when I have to get over the water because it can often fly far enough. People who spend time on the water do it for fishing so those people use skiffs not skimmers, skimmers are used ONLY for getting over the water and we really dont have that many maps for that.
And also, one important fact is that skiff skins costs more gems, which means more money for anet so it only makes sense that they make more skiff skins than skimmer skins and try sell those.

• Confused 1

To be fair, the Skimmer got some of the absolute best skins in the game prior to them being discontinued. It makes sense that they would be replaced by skiffs, though, since the few times players are engaging with water content these days they're likely to just be fishing, even in Central Tyria.

We haven't seen any heavy water content since Straights of Devestation in the core storyline.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

???

What you said had little to do with what I said.  So you use it all the time on the water?  Maybe read the first sentence that you cut out when you quoted my post.  You're completely missing my point otherwise.

59 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Skimmers are still more popular than Skiffs (re: this thread's actual topic).

Perhaps read the OP's post again?  As a reversal of what was done in regards to my post you quoted, it seems you instead only read the first sentence of theirs and ignored the rest.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

While that is true, I still stand by my observation that Skimmers are still more popular than Skiffs (re: this thread's actual topic).

It's definitely way less used than skiffs if u account the time used. I take bets on that.

People spend hours on skiffs and minutes on skimmer

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

There are a lot more people on skimmers waiting for a leviathan than on a skiff. Also, people use the skimmer to get to the leviathan. I find the ability to go underwater on the skimmer extremely useful when doing map completion, to get to those underwater POIs.

I find the skimmer fun, not so much the skiff.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I mostly use the Skyscale>Beetle>Skimmer, while the others are conditional. For instance, I use the Raptor for fighting trash mobs, the Springer for champions, the Jackal as a substitute for the Beetle on certain terrains, and the Griffon for reaching high places and skipping certain JPs. Nonetheless, the turtle mount is useless in any situation.

regarding the Skimmer, it's one of the most unique mounts out there, but creating original skins for it must be challenging. Fortunately, we already have some fantastic options like the Synergetic and Umbral Demon skins, so we're pretty well covered.

• Like 4

It's more like water content was to be forgotten and Skimmers were caught in the mess. We have an expansion about the water dragon, and probably has the least amount of water! Mechanists don't work under water, and other EoD specs also have issues.

I actually use the skimmer the most in central Tyria as a result.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3

I would like more skins for skimmers added. (or any mount for that matter.) I checked wiki to see how many skins skimmers have compared to other mounts out of curiosity. 

Raptors have 56.

Jackal have 53.

Griffon have 52.

Springer have 47.

Skyscale have 39.

Skimmers have 38.

Warclaw have 35.

Beetle have 22.

Turtle have 10.

I'm kind of surprised beetles don't have more skins available, as I see them quite frequently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's a personal thing, I prefer skimmer too especially when I'm roaming, I use skiff only when I have to fish. I would like more skins, maybe some more marine mammals. About theories I don't know, I think mount skins in general can be profitable, no matter how much is used (I don't see lots of people using springer but springer have a lot of skins), so maybe it could be something techincal too? idk.

Edited by Nymeria.1653
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

It's more like water content was to be forgotten and Skimmers were caught in the mess. We have an expansion about the water dragon, and probably has the least amount of water! Mechanists don't work under water, and other EoD specs also have issues.

I actually use the skimmer the most in central Tyria as a result.

There could be a humongous creature like Tequatl , where we technically never kill it , but always retreat and it is chained to a very old ship , draggin it down . Let's call it Bubble..gum.

In the seas in creates a huge whirlpool and stand amidst of it , while our Skiff + Skimmers are always forced to go forth in that circular whirlpool   . With the goal to use an auto-cannon-missile   railgun mechanic  (people can man  up the skiffs and attack with extras manual attacks for extra damage) and avoid  any old-arcade-multi aoes in the water surface .

(here we can add other mechanics , like people that have high skill fishing have a chance to be summoned otop the monster and use their "fishing breakbar" to navigate a hooked fish they caught in the the Player's boats (they have 6sec)  , so both of them (mount and fish)  will be dropped out of the whirlpool and they can get the fish before it is sucked in the middle forever . Or 2megaFishShips preventing "pirate Skiffs-Skimmers" from coming at board their ships and then the second stage of navigating flying sharks(wired dead puppets ) to eat the enemies that are in the Ship's Hold , while the fisherman are looking from above .

People that were eliminated , they can become "fishes" and try to eliminate other player , in order to  increase their rewards)

In the Open World Bosses , we can see it's fin , creating a pathway-quicksand for those two mounts to be used in combat for some seconds  and the pathway sourounds the boss for some artilley barage throught his invulnerability stage

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

9 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

It's definitely way less used than skiffs if u account the time used. I take bets on that.

People spend hours on skiffs and minutes on skimmer

And why is that? Because of fishing. It's not an argument for the skiff. It's just that you can't fish without one. And fishing is the only reason people stay on the water for hours to begin with. What you said is true, but it's not the skiff-over-skimmer argument you maybe think it is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

To be fair, the Skimmer got some of the absolute best skins in the game prior to them being discontinued. It makes sense that they would be replaced by skiffs, though, since the few times players are engaging with water content these days they're likely to just be fishing, even in Central Tyria.

We haven't seen any heavy water content since Straights of Devestation in the core storyline.

If ANet decided to forgo the skimmer completely and focus only on skiffs instead, they could have mentioned that. As it is, here we are, speculating as to why something changed, as is so often the case with ANet. One wonders if we'll ever get an answer to that or if we just have to draw our own conclusions. It's great that ANet once again decided communication is important (they've been on and off about that several times in the past 11 years), but I wish they would extend their communication to these kinds of changes/decisions.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4