New player seeks advice on which class to boost

Hello everyone.

I recently started the game and I completely fell in love with it. I bought the expansions and leveled a ranger because it was a newbie friendly class. Problem is that I don’t enjoy the gameplay of ranger because the most viable build is soulbeast but I would like to use a bow not axes but then how will I do in fractals?? 

i need help choosing 2 classes + profession. One for PvP and one for PvE openworld. I don’t like melee so much I have been looking at Mesmer, engineer and guardian. The build must atleast be A-tier. 

I am very thankful for all advice. 

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

For ranged damage at PvE the best choices would be probably Mesmer (Mirage or Virtuoso), followed by Necro (Scourge, Harbinger) and Renebow. For PvP scepter Catalyst or Harbinger (that last one is solid but nowhere as powerfiul at the moment as the Ele specs).

So Mesmer and Necro or Mesmer and Elementalist would probably provide you the best choices given your choices and preferences about fighting at range.

Disagree on the not boost. This game is not that complicated, and if you make sure to find a place in game where you can comfortably learn your skills and their interactions, you’ll be fine doing it with a level 80 on your celestial exotics.

Just don’t go running into the heart of Maguuma on your fresh 80 without reading your skills and traits or practicing your keybinds. Play on a practice golem, or find a core zone where things aren’t so low level you one shot them, and practice a little.

You can easily level to 80 without really learning your profession, and taking an elite spec will dramatically change how you play most professions. Whether you really learn depends on you as a player, not on whether you choose to have your abilities metered out to you one at a time over the leveling process.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Don't boost.

Well, boost at L79 anyway. Only for the gear.

I boosted once. I regret it. That character is storage right now.

Levelling is trivial. Bags are cheap. You'll learn your class better in a gradual fashion, and the stuff you do while levelling you'd probably end up doing at 80 anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Suggestion 1: don't boost.

Suggestion 2: make a character you might be interested in. Once past the tutorial area, enter the spvp area and give all the elite specializations a try (all of them are available even at level 2). Once you've found a class/elite you enjoy, start playing.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Suggestion 1: don't boost.

Suggestion 2: make a character you might be interested in. Once past the tutorial area, enter the spvp area and give all the elite specializations a try (all of them are available even at level 2). Once you've found a class/elite you enjoy, start playing.

This is gold, thank you all very much!! I will try definetly do this. Off topic: I just dinged lvl 80 on my ranger and I’m so happy 😄  

• Like 1

It may be become handy in the game to have a char with portal (mesmer & thief) and longer invisibility (thief) available.

Additionally both aren't my favoured as core class (core-mesmer a bit clumsy against many easy mobs, core-thief is a bit shaky), but quite nice with some elites (I like the Virtuoso-Mesmer, and I like Daredevil, best with Deadeye for out-of-combat build-switch to long range).

Concerning the don't boost suggestions: It should be more: don't boost and think you can play the expansions immediately: you will go dead far beyond frustration. But downscaling works quite well in gw2, you can boost and play in core-tyria (get hero points, way points, mastery points, replay the story, with different choices it will be different over 70% of the time, e.g. to see all the different missions in it you would need to play it 30 times till lvl 30 🙂 ), till you know how to play.

And you want the shared-inventory slot blocked by the boost, buy a Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic and place it there

Edited by Dayra.7405

• 2 weeks later...

I'd consider myself new. I boosted a guardian alt not too long ago ... mainly because I was sitting on 2 lvl 80 boosters. And getting close to lvl 80 just by crafting. Since the boosters give you celestial gear and for me that very expensive on the trading post I decided to boost the guardian because he could benefit the most from the stats. I will probably use my 2nd boost on an element a list mainly for the celestial gear.

• Like 2