Improving Fishing

Just thought i'd make another suggestion.

Most activities in this game earns you different items that make up your income, but not so much with fishing. 
Why not diversify the items you get from fishing so that fishing is not entirely at the mercy of ambergris market price?
A simple tweak could be to increase the droprate of the 1 gold trophies you sometimes get.
But obviously that'd be very low effort, seeing something more elaborate would be nicer. 

Also like to see them fix losing the fishing party stacking buff on forced map closure, but there's plenty threads on that.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

They could add more cooking-recipes. What we have so far is quite a small collection of dishes with rather basic effects. Given how much Fishing was hyped, pre-launch of EoD, I was expecting significantly more recipes and better effects. At least some food that manages to apply the +15 EXP boost.

Another option that goes into the same direction, add fishbone as a drop from 'opening' fish. That can be used to craft stuff with other crafting-professions. Can be a weapon-set or an alternative recipe for Ritualist's and Dragon's Inscriptions/Insignias. Preferably with lower RN requirement to promote fishing & crafting and artificially boosting the prices of fish. Currently, when you craft something, fish-meat is always the cheapest material.

For the fish-stacks, they can make something like the participation-system in WvW. When you are not on the skiff, your fishing-stacks decrease over time. When you are in fishing-mode, your stacks decrease slower, the more fishing-power you have. That way it would still keep its original design, but would turn out to be less punishing to players who crash while fishing. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I would totally fish if it was a reliable source of trophies. (Claws, bones, etc.)

It would be cool if you occasionally caught an enemy and you had to fight them on your boat. (Crabs, sharks, and the occasional krait. (Shark enemies would take damage periodically while out of water))

Also, a cool idea would be to have a sign next to the fishing hole be interactable, and the interact would tell you the drops and their chances. (ae: live shark 20%, cod 5%, claws 10%, and bones 10%, junk 55%) These Chances would randomly be pulled daily from a list for that zone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I have a stack of those!, never figured out how to use it. Looks like Jade Bots alot do something with Treasure Chests. looks like there trying but cant get it to stick.

GW2 needs to take some pointers...from FFXIV

I really like how they did treasure maps!

They have there own loot tables depending on level. You can try to chase skins and pets. Some were soloable but the best were group content. You can save maps to run them back to back. LFG boards and Guilds would run group treasure hunts. Higher chests also had a chance to open a portal to a special mini treasure dungeon. 

12 hours ago, The Chaotic Sun.7410 said:

If you are absolutely certain you want to keep it, at least skyrocket the likelihood of catching the dusk/dawn fish. With all the time sinks of animation lock and sailing I shouldn't be screwed for my effort with 7 Alpine Char in a row during that precious 5 minutes when I can only get 12-13 attempts.

Like so much of MMO design, it's supposed to keep you coming back for a while trying to get that last thing. This is how they keep a population even though no one can put out enough content to satisfy hours a day, every day, for years.

Love your slot machine. Give yourself to her glittering embrace.

For further reading, check out The Age of Addiction: How Bad Habits Became Big Business by David Courtwright and Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst by Robert Sapolsky.

Edited by Gibson.4036
Bibliographies are cool
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

On  the one hand the dusk/dawn fish does suck.

On the other hand they only matter for the collection(s)/achievement. The whole fishing experience might have been more enjoyable if these simply never existed. Partly because the only people who would be fishing are those who enjoy fishing and not because they are after something else. Unfortunately you are also participating in a different kind of fishing game where the devs are the fishermen while the achievement and collections are the bait and lure.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

They could add more cooking-recipes. What we have so far is quite a small collection of dishes with rather basic effects. Given how much Fishing was hyped, pre-launch of EoD, I was expecting significantly more recipes and better effects. At least some food that manages to apply the +15 EXP boost.

Another option that goes into the same direction, add fishbone as a drop from 'opening' fish. That can be used to craft stuff with other crafting-professions. Can be a weapon-set or an alternative recipe for Ritualist's and Dragon's Inscriptions/Insignias. Preferably with lower RN requirement to promote fishing & crafting and artificially boosting the prices of fish. Currently, when you craft something, fish-meat is always the cheapest material.

For the fish-stacks, they can make something like the participation-system in WvW. When you are not on the skiff, your fishing-stacks decrease over time. When you are in fishing-mode, your stacks decrease slower, the more fishing-power you have. That way it would still keep its original design, but would turn out to be less punishing to players who crash while fishing. 

Very much like your ideas, it would make fishing a lot more involved and not have its usefulness decimated at the whims of a single meta event, or the demand for some legendaries. They could do a lot with this.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Really liked how much effort was put into fishing in Ultima Online. Had lots of fun "net fishing" to spawn a kraken and then doing expeditions with friends from the looted "message in a bottle" (MiB) to find sunken treasures. Wish they added something similar here, kinda like the treasure hunting kits but with skiff on the seas.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Confused 2

One last kick at the "let the player keep stacks if they leave their skiff" can

I would be more inclined to help out on all the numerous requests from new players needing this item from that bounty in the Crystal Desert if I didn't lose my stacks.

Edited by BnooMaGoo.5690
wording
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Fishing is a decent way to make money if you fish in the right area at the right time with the right bait. I don't see why the income from it needs to be from things that aren't the ambergris.

What we need is for fishing to be incorporated into the rest of the game. If you're fishing, you're only fishing. God forbid a mob attacks your skiff that you can't kill in under 15 seconds.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Mrs Lana.2506 said:

Fishing is a decent way to make money if you fish in the right area at the right time with the right bait. I don't see why the income from it needs to be from things that aren't the ambergris.

Actually, if you fish in the right areas, the vendor trash can create a tidy profit as well. In an hour of fishing I tend to collect a good 4-5g worth of high-end vendor trash.

15 minutes ago, Mrs Lana.2506 said:

What we need is for fishing to be incorporated into the rest of the game. If you're fishing, you're only fishing. God forbid a mob attacks your skiff that you can't kill in under 15 seconds.

For this reason I chose a class (warrior) with decent underwater skills (both ranged and melee) as my fishing toon. Furthermore, if you are attacked by a NPC while fishing, make sure to simply jump over the side to engage the NPC (rather than despawning your skiff), and so long as you don't stray too far from your skiff, you'll retain your fishing stacks for at least a minute (or possibly longer...I tend to kill most npcs in under a minute); the only NPCs I tend to have difficulty with are the Naga, as they like to engage from a distance and then swim even further away if you try to engage them. Best to just give them a wide berth when fishing in areas they frequent.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

For this reason I chose a class (warrior) with decent underwater skills (both ranged and melee) as my fishing toon. Furthermore, if you are attacked by a NPC while fishing, make sure to simply jump over the side to engage the NPC (rather than despawning your skiff), and so long as you don't stray too far from your skiff, you'll retain your fishing stacks for at least a minute (or possibly longer...I tend to kill most npcs in under a minute); the only NPCs I tend to have difficulty with are the Naga, as they like to engage from a distance and then swim even further away if you try to engage them. Best to just give them a wide berth when fishing in areas they frequent.

I do all these already (bar warrior, I use guard). I'm not saying "I'm bad at killing mobs". I'm saying "I shouldn't be punished for it". There's also the bug where if you get back on your skiff you will still have the debuff. Or where you respawn inside your skiff. Or the issue where shards continually close. These can't be fixed by a "get gud".

6 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

you'll retain your fishing stacks for at least a minute

It's 15 seconds. You lose them in 15 seconds.

Edited by Mrs Lana.2506
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Does anchoring your skiff trigger “on weapon swap” effects?

I had just changed up gear and build on a character, and was having trouble trying to do the Shing Jea fishing tournament because I kept inflicting bleeding on fish swimming nearby. Geomancer on one weapon, earth on the other.

Os this normal, or a bug?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Mrs Lana.2506 said:

I do all these already (bar warrior, I use guard). I'm not saying "I'm bad at killing mobs". I'm saying "I shouldn't be punished for it". There's also the bug where if you get back on your skiff you will still have the debuff. Or where you respawn inside your skiff. Or the issue where shards continually close. These can't be fixed by a "get gud".

Regarding the bug where you get back in your skiff and still have the debuff, while it is a known bug you won't lose your stacks. You simply won't get credit towards more stacks (if you're not already at max) until you disembark/re-anchor. But yes, I agree there are several bugs/issues with fishing and skiffs that Anet has not really addressed since it was first implemented; in fact there is a different thread regarding all the various issues.

3 hours ago, Mrs Lana.2506 said:

It's 15 seconds. You lose them in 15 seconds.

The timer may say this, but it will last far beyond the 15 seconds. So long as you don't despawn your boat and stay nearby (I don't know the exact range) the debuff will last far longer than 15 seconds before you actually lose your stacks. I've spent several hundred hours fishing so I speak from experience on this.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Does anchoring your skiff trigger “on weapon swap” effects?

I had just changed up gear and build on a character, and was having trouble trying to do the Shing Jea fishing tournament because I kept inflicting bleeding on fish swimming nearby. Geomancer on one weapon, earth on the other.

Os this normal, or a bug?

Unfortunately it seems to. I was encountering this problem because I was running a Bladesworn and had the trait that attacked everytime I swapped weapons, and so everytime I would anchor my skiff I would agro any nearby npcs in the water, including those that weren't enemies.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Regarding the bug where you get back in your skiff and still have the debuff, while it is a known bug you won't lose your stacks. You simply won't get credit towards more stacks (if you're not already at max) until you disembark/re-anchor. But yes, I agree there are several bugs/issues with fishing and skiffs that Anet has not really addressed since it was first implemented; in fact there is a different thread regarding all the various issues.

So my original point stands. Thanks I guess.

4 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

The timer may say this, but it will last far beyond the 15 seconds. So long as you don't despawn your boat and stay nearby (I don't know the exact range) the debuff will last far longer than 15 seconds before you actually lose your stacks. I've spent several hundred hours fishing so I speak from experience on this.

The range is approx 3400 units so quite a lot of leeway with it.

And you are correct on the Losing Association effect. As long as the skiff survives you should regain the stacks when reboarding it even if the timer ran out. The effect timer is there to show how much time you have to spawn a new skiff if the previous one was dismissed or destroyed. This is how it should work and if it doesn't then report it as a bug.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing has several problems that would need to be addressed in my opinion.

The most important one is „fishing stacks“. This alone sets back fishing down more than anything else. It feels like you either go fishing or play GW2. There is no in between. You want the stacks as high as possible, because otherwise it is not worth it. But this takes ages and any interaction with the game deletes all the effort. Want to participate in a meta event on the same map, better pass on it you would loose your stacks. Server closing, you loose your stacks. It feels really frustrating. You can forage anything just passing by, but why needs fishing to be so different? I don't get it? It just takes away from it.

Second is the skiff in my opinion. The skiff is a downgrade compared to skimmer in any situation. If I had the choice I would use skimmer to get from fishing hole to fishing hole, just because the skiff sucks hard. It is so incredibly clunky. Not to mention the “You cannot anchor a skiff while moving” garbage. Just let the skiff stop automatically once the anchor is pressed. The message is just infuriating and doesen't add anything of value beside beeing annoing.

Fishing is just to much of a time investment, with the stacks I would even call it a parasitic design as it doesn't blend in with the rest of the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'd like to suggest that they at least improve it by allowing the UI alert popup to be moved. I'm not sure if it's an issue at all graphic setting levels, but I've found that where it currently pops up can be really hard to see, and even worse if you have the lantern boat skiff skin.

• Like 1

Yes i always wanted fishing in guildwars 2. Because i liked it very much in wow. Just relax fishing for nice loot. So when i read about guildwars 2 get fishing in EoD i got very enthousiast. But when it was finally there i got disappoited. Its just another option to farm gold. Without nice minis or mount skins. Guildwars 2 is all about making gold for store skins (or other store things) so no matter what events you do. The loot is the same in most cases. Just low worth items. So because fishing didn’t give anything special besides a title its not worth to me to spend my time on it. Also i dont like the mechanic. In wow its all about reaction time. Sure guildwars 2 also, but then for some seconds. And also the different baits make it much work. 

Edited by titje.2745
  • Confused 4

• 4 weeks later...

Please take some fishing power from "fishing in a party" buff and put it in the fishing rod. I honestly can't find people willing to fish with. Plus, some of us want to have at least fishing not be dependable of other people.

Also,  the tips on fishing buff it dissapears after 1h... we lose all fishing stacks when we go to refresh it. Please make it last for a day or something.

Please fix the fishing stacks that also dissapear after map closes.

Later edit: can we make fishing stacks not dissapearing for the entire day? Very often when I fish, i see on map chat fellow players asking for help for events or bosses, and we are put in a situation where we have to choose between those 30 fishing stacks(very hard to obtain alone on some maps) and helping somebody. It would help the community.

Do we have any chances to have these issues fixed on May balance update?

Another edit: Please remove the aoe damage from toggle anchor!! - all mobs near the boat will attack, therefore we take damage - very annoying

Edited by Efar.8153
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Efar.8153 said:

Please take some fishing power from "fishing in a party" buff and put it in the fishing rod. I honestly can't find people willing to babysit me for hours as i fish. Plus, some of us want to have at least fishing not be dependable of other people.

Also,  the tips on fishing buff it dissapears after 1h... we lose all fishing stacks when we go to refresh it. Please make it last for a day or something.

Please fix the fishing stacks that also dissapear after map closes.

Do we have any chances to have these issues fixed on May balance update? 

Nope  I think fishing is a abandoned feature kinda like guild halls mate.

• Confused 3