Gadgeteer WvW Roaming

Dahkeus.8243

So, I've been a bit dissatisfied with several roaming builds lately.  Nothing against many of the good builds out there, but almost all of them have a very distinct lack of rocket boots.

And I get it.  Rocket boots doesn't break stuns and takes up a valuable utility slot for a class that often relies on one utility slot for grenade kit.  However, after experimenting, I found a good build that puts those boots to use with sufficient mobility to outrun just about anything if the need arises.  I've been playing it enough lately that I went ahead and made a short vid of some fights to show it off:

Build link: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lNw0YhMQWKOcX6NTA-zVZYVRBHxXQ7mRCcG5qA6VCoxPSY0bh+PNA-w

P.s. Props to Silinsar.6298 for some of the inspiration behind the build.

Edited by Dahkeus.8243
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PierPiero.9142 said:

why not take toolkit and using pistol pistol ? 

Assuming you mean replacing grenade kit with toolkit? 

If so, you could probably make that work, but you would lose a lot of the explosive synergy from the explosives line (vuln, barrier, bleeding, cripple on explosions and such).   It's also dropping two CCs on shield for the pull on toolkit as well as the reflect on shield 4. 

But really, it's trading a lot of AoE ranged skills for single target, close range skills.  There may be a good condi build with those skills, but it would probably want Arms over Explosions in traits and would be more focused on dueling/smaller fights over more mobile/ranged roaming and outnumbered stuff.

7 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

If so, you could probably make that work, but you would lose a lot of the explosive synergy from the explosives line (vuln, barrier, bleeding, cripple on explosions and such).   It's also dropping two CCs on shield for the pull on toolkit as well as the reflect on shield 4. 

But really, it's trading a lot of AoE ranged skills for single target, close range skills.  There may be a good condi build with those skills, but it would probably want Arms over Explosions in traits and would be more focused on dueling/smaller fights over more mobile/ranged roaming and outnumbered stuff.

Going all out p/p with a scrapper is like going sniper with a shotgun. Anet has ensured condi scrapper is dead, the pistol is just supplementary. You need core, mechanist or holo for real condi build (although I would argue holo is always better at plain roflstomp power builds).

Scrapper is also the best nader due to constant barrier and being able to run with superspeed while tossing nades 180 degrees over their head. 

By "best" I of course mean the most disgusting engineer build that exist in WvW, but still you get the point.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, Dahkeus.8243 said:

• Replace Goggles with Toolkit. It's all about Magnet, Gear shield, and Throw Wrench. Nails and Pry Bar are just gravy if you happen to be in range. Pry Bar also combos with Magnet if server latency cooperates.
  • Drop Mortar Kit for Crate or PLB. Those elites win fights on pretty short CDs, especially if you take Power Wrench too. Besides, you already have ranged AoE with Grenades and enough mobility to stick them with Rocket Boots
  • Speaking of Grenades, take the trait.
  • Perma Swiftness from Streamlined Kits instead of Lock On
  • Drop Scrapper for Holo.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, coro.3176 said:
  • Replace Goggles with Toolkit. It's all about Magnet, Gear shield, and Throw Wrench. Nails and Pry Bar are just gravy if you happen to be in range. Pry Bar also combos with Magnet if server latency cooperates.
  • Drop Mortar Kit for Crate or PLB. Those elites win fights on pretty short CDs, especially if you take Power Wrench too. Besides, you already have ranged AoE with Grenades and enough mobility to stick them with Rocket Boots
  • Speaking of Grenades, take the trait.
  • Perma Swiftness from Streamlined Kits instead of Lock On
  • Drop Scrapper for Holo.

Dude, you’re just advocating for an entirely different build, rofl.  If that’s what you like though, feel free to run that, but what you describe is not my jam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had some fun making the last video, so I went ahead and made a second:

Slight adjustments to a couple pieces of gear (replaced some more cele pieces for Vipers) and realized I was showing Short Fuse instead of Grenadier in the traits, so I fixed that.

Edited by Dahkeus.8243

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, stormemperor.3745 said:

I was hoping to see something interesting. Thats just everyday scrapper runnig around throwing grenades.

Not to be rude but what did you expect exactly ?

Scrapper doesnt have a lot of thing going on for him as far as roaming goes.  You can run support healer scrapper if you roam in group or you run grenade scrapper.  I guess FT Scrapper if you end up doing GvG or zerg. 

On 4/10/2023 at 9:15 AM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Not to be rude but what did you expect exactly ?

Scrapper doesnt have a lot of thing going on for him as far as roaming goes.  You can run support healer scrapper if you roam in group or you run grenade scrapper.  I guess FT Scrapper if you end up doing GvG or zerg. 

Ughh.. Come on man. If you actually take the effort and theorycraft for yourself, you can easily find other viable ways to make a roaming build other than "hUrR HuRr BuT mUh NaDeS iS oNlY vIaBlE pLaYsTyLe". This mentality is the reason why the meta is 90% the same people flocking from fotm to fotm, cry when it gets nerfed, and don't think for themself. How do you think new meta's are created. It is a couple people thinking outside the box, and when it turns out to work well, the masses start flocking to it and it is called meta. Let me tell you the current nade scrapper build in pvp has been possible since the tools changes months ago. Yet it only became "meta" some time ago, because people don't theory craft. They just copy whatever their streamer gods use.

I've had plenty of success in solo roaming with original 'non grenades' builds. Latest scrapper build I've used was this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlNw+YNsQWKO+X3tWA-zVQYRUQqbhqUGhlA9WAqNLVZGBA-w

A build using toolkit, blast gyro, rocket boots and mortar kit. Pulling people into a precasted blast gyro stun, getting quickness from sigil of celerity and landing a fat prybar into function gyro + rocket kick + hammer 2. Mortar for ranged poke, sustained dmg while kiting, and securing downs/stomps with the poison and pulsing blind. It's a big burst, hit and run playstyle with access to 2 blocks, nice boons and a lot of damage modifiers.

You can go full zerk if you want, but I feel the dmg is good enough to take a couple knights pieces for toughness. You can also take takedown round for even more damage, just be aware you will lose some fury uptime from dropping streamlined kits (swapping to toolkit grants superspeed, which in turn grants you fury and might). Lock on is ofc another good option, but I feel that chasing thiefs in wvw is a lost battle to begin with. 

In scrapper middle tree you can take either of the 3 traits tbh, all are decent. You will get high uptime on rapid regeneration if you take that, and expert examination gives vuln + access to weakness to prevent counterpressure, but with the amount of cleansing going around in wvw, I prefer the reliable and upfront dmg mod from object in motion. 

Edited by Koensol.5860

On 3/17/2023 at 2:52 PM, Dahkeus.8243 said:

So, I've been a bit dissatisfied with several roaming builds lately.  Nothing against many of the good builds out there, but almost all of them have a very distinct lack of rocket boots.

And I get it.  Rocket boots doesn't break stuns and takes up a valuable utility slot for a class that often relies on one utility slot for grenade kit.  However, after experimenting, I found a good build that puts those boots to use with sufficient mobility to outrun just about anything if the need arises.  I've been playing it enough lately that I went ahead and made a short vid of some fights to show it off:

Build link: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAo6lNw0YhMQWKOcX6NTA-zVZYVRBHxXQ7mRCcG5qA6VCoxPSY0bh+PNA-w

P.s. Props to Silinsar.6298 for some of the inspiration behind the build.

I think Mortar and nades in the same build is overdoing it a bit.  Since you have tools, maybe take the elite reduction tier one and do crate?

Also is that regent really buying you much in scrapper tier 2?   Since you have lock on, and you have system shocker... maybe try expert examination to make your CC Pop.  I sometimes run that when I am using shredder gyro and hammer.

22 hours ago, Koensol.5860 said:

Ughh.. Come on man. If you actually take the effort and theorycraft for yourself, you can easily find other viable ways to make a roaming build other than "hUrR HuRr BuT mUh NaDeS iS oNlY vIaBlE pLaYsTyLe". This mentality is the reason why the meta is 90% the same people flocking from fotm to fotm, cry when it gets nerfed, and don't think for themself. How do you think new meta's are created. It is a couple people thinking outside the box, and when it turns out to work well, the masses start flocking to it and it is called meta. Let me tell you the current nade scrapper build in pvp has been possible since the tools changes months ago. Yet it only became "meta" some time ago, because people don't theory craft. They just copy whatever their streamer gods use.

I've had plenty of success in solo roaming with original 'non grenades' builds. Latest scrapper build I've used was this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlNw+YNsQWKO+X3tWA-zVQYRUQqbhqUGhlA9WAqNLVZGBA-w

A build using toolkit, blast gyro, rocket boots and mortar kit. Pulling people into a precasted blast gyro stun, getting quickness from sigil of celerity and landing a fat prybar into function gyro + rocket kick + hammer 2. Mortar for ranged poke, sustained dmg while kiting, and securing downs/stomps with the poison and pulsing blind. It's a big burst, hit and run playstyle with access to 2 blocks, nice boons and a lot of damage modifiers.

You can go full zerk if you want, but I feel the dmg is good enough to take a couple knights pieces for toughness. You can also take takedown round for even more damage, just be aware you will lose some fury uptime from dropping streamlined kits (swapping to toolkit grants superspeed, which in turn grants you fury and might). Lock on is ofc another good option, but I feel that chasing thiefs in wvw is a lost battle to begin with. 

In scrapper middle tree you can take either of the 3 traits tbh, all are decent. You will get high uptime on rapid regeneration if you take that, and expert examination gives vuln + access to weakness to prevent counterpressure, but with the amount of cleansing going around in wvw, I prefer the reliable and upfront dmg mod from object in motion. 

First when did I said grenade was the only build ? Yes point me exactly where I said that because as far as I know I stated 3 potential build. I'm waiting.

Second what I said isnt exactly wrong. Scrapper doesnt have a lot of option in building. It has basically 0 synergy with condition, all trait are either toward support,superspeed or power damage. The build OP suggest works but if I want to nitpick I could talk about going for Holosmith instead as it offers more burst damage without trading too much movement.  I dont know about PvP meta as it is its own world with its own balancing and I dislike this gamemode as a whole. The footage shown are in WvW so I dont know why you are ranting about PvP.

The build you propose rely heavily on pulling the target and bursting him down under quickness but the moment the opponent dodges, it doesnt seem to have much going on for it. Hammer is slow and Scrapper no longer has quickness because for whatever reason Anet decided to straight up removing it. If it works for you then good, I'm happy for you but I'll stick to build that are relatively fun and gets what I need done. And it turns out mixing grenade and rocket boost do just that for now. 

7 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

The build you propose rely heavily on pulling the target and bursting him down under quickness but the moment the opponent dodges, it doesnt seem to have much going on for it. Hammer is slow and Scrapper no longer has quickness because for whatever reason Anet decided to straight up removing it. If it works for you then good, I'm happy for you but I'll stick to build that are relatively fun and gets what I need done. And it turns out mixing grenade and rocket boost do just that for now. 

I also consider the mortar to be way too slow to be a reliable only ranged weapon, especially since the scrapper needs constant damage to keep barrier up. Great against static targets, not so much against mobile ones. I've met such builds that I could simply circle to death while they couldnt hit me once.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:04 AM, shion.2084 said:

I think Mortar and nades in the same build is overdoing it a bit.  Since you have tools, maybe take the elite reduction tier one and do crate?

Also is that regent really buying you much in scrapper tier 2?   Since you have lock on, and you have system shocker... maybe try expert examination to make your CC Pop.  I sometimes run that when I am using shredder gyro and hammer.

Mortar and grenades aren't really redundant since they mostly play two different roles.  Mortar kit is for fields (especially blind field) and grenade kit is for damage.  With the 1,200 range jump on rocket boots, the increased range also puts mortar to use since you'll be out of range for grenade kit more often than usual. 

Even then, there's not another elite that's really better for a build like this.  Supply Crate is mostly a waste since it's better for power burst builds.  Elixir X isn't that great all around, especially for a build without Alchemy.  Sneak Gyro also isn't worth using on a roaming build (arguably not worth using at all after all the nerfs). 

As for the build working overall, it's been great in both T2 and T1 matchups (I'm on TC and just finished two weeks against Mag...ugh).  It adapts well from solo roaming to medium/large scale scraps as long as you're careful against projectile hate.  It's not for organized group fighting at all though, of course.  My only real frustration with the build is that it's just hard countered by celestial harbingers.  I've been able to handle Reapers and core Necros well enough, but even relatively inexperienced Harbingers will be a threat (or at least an un-killable nuisance). 

For Expert Examination...you just won't get much mileage out of it in a build like this.  It's not a high burst damage build and you only have the shield and Function Gyro for CC.  It would also drop a LOT of sustain since this is a build with tons of Super Speed and Swiftness, which allows more armor pieces to be swapped from Cele to Vipers/Sinister.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:49 AM, Samug.6512 said:

Just another celestial engi throwing nades... 

check the gear.  Yea, it has some cele pieces, but most stats are vipers/sinister.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, shion.2084 said:

I like the commentary in the video regarding the strategy of what's going on.  It makes the video a lot easier to follow, to understand the thinking behind the positioning etc.  Kudos for that.

Thanks.  I’ve always loved PvP videos where people talk through their decisions.  There’s definitely far better players out there that do better stuff, but I enjoyed dipping my toes in it with these vids.  

My favorite PvP video of all time that was the first I saw that did this style of video well was an old WoW video from back during the Burning Crusade era: 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:49 AM, Samug.6512 said:

Just another celestial engi throwing nades... 

P.S. I’ve been playing cele scepter catalyst lately, so I get why there’s so much hate for cele builds.  I was playing berserker and got tired of how  strong catalysts were and just gave in to try it, but I see why it’s popular.  It’s incredibly strong, even in the hands of someone like me who rarely plays ele.