Has my time in Guild Wars 2 come to an end? (be nice)

I like my look, I don't need more skins, I don't need legendary stuff and have no reason to raid (too many builds). I don't like WvW (more builds) or PvP and there is no open world individualised quests like in traditional MMOs. Fractals are repetitive (and require more builds) and being reliant on achievement hunting via the panel as a guide makes the game feel like a checkbox MMO with no sense of adventure. There's not something for everyone in this game despite it's continued diversity and while I can appreciate it's different approach to conventional MMOs, a lack of story, and episodes that are incredibly short-lived means people like myself are left with nothing to do for months on end. I've not had anything to do since EoD ended besides achievement hunt in the Tower of Nightmares, which feels irrelevant when it just means skins, recipes or sigils as a reward (to contribute to ever explosive need for making more builds for more game modes and specs).

Perhaps consider adding real quests in the open world if Guild Wars 3 is ever made? I like adventures. Adventures give purpose to what you're doing. I've made a few legendaries and I don't see the point in them tbh. I know what they can do, but the investment isn't worth it. My characters look good, to me, so I'm done with the aesthetic side of the game.

I'm not shitting on the game for this by the way, but perhaps after playing on and off for 10 years, there really isn't much left for me to do and 10 years is stretching it because I've felt like this for a long time. Not all of us want to kit out 10 builds in glowy stuff, or repeat metas time and time and time again - it's filler. We need proper adventures in future. Fun quests. Just a thought is all.

I'm guessing since most people are either playing the game or spending the rest of their free time here, that they won't see where I'm coming from. Perhaps a few may get where I am coming from. But it does look as if I've not got much else to do, doesn't it? What would you do in my position. All I do when I log in is a daily and maybe a couple DRMs.

Maybe allow for drag n' drop build lists and equipment slots btw, that is old and needs modernising. Even the Guild panel... you're in one guild but were in a few? Your primary is now in the third slot.

Any suggestions or is it that time?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

What do you like to do in-game? If it's playing the story, as you alluded to, perhaps roleplay might appeal to you - you essentially get to forge your own adventure, independent of the game's releases. While the RP community is pretty small, we're still very much around, and there are a few Discord servers you could join to see if there are recruiting guilds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I see where you're coming from. But no company is going to be able to make everything fast enough to satisfy people that play their game a lot. It's just not possible.

For every person who needs to see more story, another person needs either challenging instances, or more build variety, or balance, or PvP or whatever. Everyone plays these games differently.  You play probably half the game. You ignore the other half, because there are too many builds.

The truth is you don't need a lot of builds to raid anyway, that's in your head. I raid with two three builds, one condi, one power and one alacrity.  That's all I use. I use three different characters.  But when I started I used one build on one character that was a low intensity build.

Not everyone raids the same way. At any rate, it sounds more or less like youv'e made up your mind. But keep in mind, everyone wants more content for the stuff they like...including me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2023 at 2:09 PM, Infinity.2876 said:

you forgot:

roller beetle races in verdant brink, falling from cliffs, afking in random weird places without minions, griefing players in public areas with ally targeted aas, soloing life sucking bat hps (and failing), doing the daily jumping puzzle the hard way, racing to the cache keepers in drizzlewood and killing them as fast as possible so that no one can get credit, teleporting out in ow when someone is trying to rez you, afking in ranked spvp (while telling them they're bots), creating a sylvari mushroom head and running around in basic armor, sorting your bank, summoning a portable black lion merchant right next to the black lion merchant, putting all your summon portable banker into the bank, putting aviator boxes in just the right place, and finally emoting in the middle of combat.

You can complete my assorted bucket list from an earlier post

• Like 1

Take a few weeks or few months break. It helps. Works for me at least.

I too feel the same sentiments like you TC. There's nothing I like to do in this game now. Too much builds and hyper grinds. But lucky for me, I  like fashions and building stuff. So, for a long time I tried to keep myself busy by decorating my Guild Hall and most recently, I even started on my home instance, farming map currencies to buy nodes. But even those gets done eventually because ANet stopped adding any decent upgrades on them for a long time.

Take a break but not too long or you may not come back (which may be a good thing? 🤔), like a few of my friends 🙁

Good luck.

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

It does sound like you're struggling to find things to do in the game, so taking a break might be a good idea. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing decision, you don't even have to decide to stay away for a certain amount of time or until something new comes out. But if playing GW2 doesn't interest you it would make sense to do something else and come back to it when you do feel like playing it again.

But if you want quests I do think it might be worth looking at some of the achievements, especially the 'scavenger hunt' ones. I understand feeling like they're just a checklist, that's how I feel about most achievements in most games, so normally I ignore them. But because GW2 uses them as one of the main ways to highlight what's available (and because it was designed without traditional quests) there are some which are basically quests in all but name.

There's several in EoD (mostly in the Arborstone category), but there's also things like the design a weapon contest weapon collections (Scion's Claw, Eclipse and Favor of the Colossus) which each tell a story or the various achievements in and around Augury Rock in PoF, there's ones for finding all the history tablets inside, for following 3 ghosts and learning their stories, finding your way to the top of Augury Rock etc. as well as the stories of the events themselves and the NPCs involved. In any other game all of those would be quests, the only difference in this one is the interface.

• Like 2

Sounds like time for a break to me. I wouldn't say end, because you obviously enjoyed the game for 10 years, but yeah, till new chapters of story/expansion come out, or you identify with a new goal in the game, there isn't much to do for you.

I had that several times in my Gw2 life. Spend my time in other games then (preferably single user games), Came back, made another break, ....

Currently I got the goal of filling my legendary armory (I hate the special effects/skins, so I started late with that), will still keep me busy for a moment, but I already started wondering: hm, where is the sense of filling it, if I don't have anything to do when it's filled 😉 

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well you could alway take afew months break untill the next story or couple of stories are released.

Im sure you have a backlog of games you could play ( like most of us) after 10 years of playing gw2.

this^^
GW2 lets you do this. Your gear will still be relevant and since you're not into raids/strikes/fractals or any other group content as it seems. Builds falling out of fashion should not be a thing for you.

That's basically it, if you don't want or can't step out of your niche. That's not a bad thing and I'm not judging. You do you.

• Like 3

Your points are valid and reasonable.  And after 10 years of playing, why not take a break?  You'll feel better, less frustrated.  Go do something you enjoy.  Play a different game.  This one will be here if you want to play it.  Do not ever feel like you have to play a game, especially if you feel no sense of accomplishment.  ❤️

• Like 1

There are actually a lot of quests in the game. They just come in the form of collections. The new expansion added a lot of them to the game. Especially in Arborstone. The quest items and people have a special icon above them, indicating you need to do something with them. Have you done those?

• Thanks 1

These posts confuse me in every game forum I go to because people act like they need permission to leave lol. It's not a job and you aren't being held hostage, just go and come back when you feel like it. The thing about GW2 is you'll never be behind or miss out so you can come back whenever. Go play other games.

Too many people need to stop act like they're married to video games. Even Streamers have like a crisis because they took a game they love into a job and they ended up hating the game. Take. A. Break.

(Not trying to be mean btw OP, just noticing this a lot more lately.) So see ya when or if ya return!

Edited by Kain.9136
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I like my look, I don't need more skins, I don't need legendary stuff and have no reason to raid (too many builds). I don't like WvW (more builds) or PvP and there is no open world individualised quests like in traditional MMOs. Fractals are repetitive (and require more builds) and being reliant on achievement hunting via the panel as a guide makes the game feel like a checkbox MMO with no sense of adventure. There's not something for everyone in this game despite it's continued diversity and while I can appreciate it's different approach to conventional MMOs, a lack of story, and episodes that are incredibly short-lived means people like myself are left with nothing to do for months on end. I've not had anything to do since EoD ended besides achievement hunt in the Tower of Nightmares, which feels irrelevant when it just means skins, recipes or sigils as a reward (to contribute to ever explosive need for making more builds for more game modes and specs).

Perhaps consider adding real quests in the open world if Guild Wars 3 is ever made? I like adventures. Adventures give purpose to what you're doing. I've made a few legendaries and I don't see the point in them tbh. I know what they can do, but the investment isn't worth it. My characters look good, to me, so I'm done with the aesthetic side of the game.

I'm not shitting on the game for this by the way, but perhaps after playing on and off for 10 years, there really isn't much left for me to do and 10 years is stretching it because I've felt like this for a long time. Not all of us want to kit out 10 builds in glowy stuff, or repeat metas time and time and time again - it's filler. We need proper adventures in future. Fun quests. Just a thought is all.

I'm guessing since most people are either playing the game or spending the rest of their free time here, that they won't see where I'm coming from. Perhaps a few may get where I am coming from. But it does look as if I've not got much else to do, doesn't it? What would you do in my position. All I do when I log in is a daily and maybe a couple DRMs.

Maybe allow for drag n' drop build lists and equipment slots btw, that is old and needs modernising. Even the Guild panel... you're in one guild but were in a few? Your primary is now in the third slot.

Any suggestions or is it that time?

So what I see is that you're saying there's not much to do in the game after you discount plenty of content "because you'd need to do more" (like get/play different builds or open achievement tab to play more content). I mean to each their own, but it looks like you're mostly looking for a singleplayer rpg experience, so maybe try doing that or even just taking a break altogether.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Kain.9136 said:

These posts confuse me in every game forum I go to because people act like they need permission to leave lol. It's not a job and you aren't being held hostage, just go and come back when you feel like it. The thing about GW2 is you'll never be behind or miss out so you can come back whenever. Go play other games.

Too many people need to stop act like they're married to video games. Even Streamers have like a crisis because they took a game they love into a job and they ended up hating the game. Take. A. Break.

(Not trying to be mean btw OP, just noticing this a lot more lately.) So see ya when or if ya return!

I think people just hope someone else feels the same and will agree with them.

It can feel weird to just quietly leave a community you’ve been a part of for a while without anyone noticing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Thanks to everyone for your kind suggestions. As much as it is a benefit to most, with the broad approach to tackling the content of this game, I feel a little directionless a lot of the time. Skins and sigils as a motivator for the characters I've completed doesn't really leave me much in way of incentive and achievement points mean nothing to me either. I have recently started playing Scourge and chipping away at the story under a different race too, so that's something, but of course I've already done it.

Another part of the issue I have besides not a lot of the content appealing to me, is due to my colossal indecisiveness and desire to flit around between multiple things but not wanting to deal with all the builds (or changes) and such (and my need for build/equipment slots - which I feel at this point I have spent more than enough moneys worth on this game. It's also tough to decide which characters get obliterated or reworked for whichever - indecisive - game mode I opt for. If I do, the end goal here is after they have been reworked, my rewards are cosmetic - which as I said, I don't need.

I understand Legendary armour may seem a good idea to tackle the problem of multiple builds and flexibility, but unfortunately the grind is too heavy for me and I have very limited time as it is. I may sacrifice core classes to free up build and equipment slots, but I don't like the idea of skipping entire expansion specs moving them forward, but with little choice it seems the best order is to just rework all of my builds across 5 other characters and bring them up to PoF/EoD specs - throw in some ones viable for raids (exotics only though) but that's an awful lot of work - the latest expansion, barrage of nerfs and meta changes have seen to that. That's also time and gold I don't have in abundance. I may well have to buy another bank tab too - bank tabs we can't properly organise or name yet - which is disappointing. I might just farm bladed armour boxes from HoT VB to convert all of my classes, that'll give me something to do and I can revisit some older maps. What do you think? Still missing those traditional character quests though.

I will take a break for a while, maybe occasionally pop on to do a daily and earn currency for bladed set pieces to convert my characters.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

I had about a 13 month break when HoT started. Came back and really enjoyed myself and have been playing steady since then. Nothing wrong with stepping away if something isn't grabbing you any longer, or if you find something that 'does' grab you and you have limited bandwidth for this form of entertainment. Picked up the guitar again myself about 1.5 years ago after not having played very much in the preceding 5-6 years. Got a little Positive Grid amp, a new Butterscotch Tele and a PRS SE Custom 24-08 and having a blast. Restoring an old bass as well. Still play GW2 every day, just not as much.

• Like 2