Has my time in Guild Wars 2 come to an end? (be nice)

@OP, 10 years is a good run, even ESO that has probably the best Open works personalised quest in the business will entirely run out of questing content by 10 years.  That leaves PVP/WVW/Achieves/alts if you have all the gear you want and if not then you are truly at end of game, you won for you 🙂

• Like 2

You can see Guild Wars 2 achievements as quests. While there is a lot of story content in GW2, it will always be not enough because story content just takes much longer to make than to play through it. You can extend it quite a bit if you go for all the achievements that a GW2 release comes with. A set of individual goals you can go for after completing the main story content. These will tell you side stories, take you to interesting locations and offer special rewards and meta rewards.

To me, my account progression is not how many legendaries I have, which item skins I have unlocked or which WvW rank I have. It are the achievements, the meta achievements and my account-wide achievement point count that tells my history with and dedication to the game.

If it is really just story you are interested in: then just do that. Play GW2 for the story when there is story and then move on to other games that have story. There is nothing wrong by just playing the highlights of many games. It will save you from the boring grind that many games have and just play them like a movie. I prefer to stick to one game and get deep progression, but that's just me and there are no bad choices here.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kain.9136 said:

These posts confuse me in every game forum I go to because people act like they need permission to leave lol. It's not a job and you aren't being held hostage, just go and come back when you feel like it. The thing about GW2 is you'll never be behind or miss out so you can come back whenever. Go play other games.

Too many people need to stop act like they're married to video games. Even Streamers have like a crisis because they took a game they love into a job and they ended up hating the game. Take. A. Break.

(Not trying to be mean btw OP, just noticing this a lot more lately.) So see ya when or if ya return!

A lot of MMOs are a big commitment - you have to pay a monthly (or quarterly or annual) subscription up front - meaning you need to decide at the start of each payment period whether you're going to play it then or not and if you stop paying then think about coming back you have to decide without being able to log in and try it first. Add in the fact that in a lot of games you'll fall behind in levels, gear or other requirements if you stop for any significant amount of time and will struggle to catch up if/when you come back and it makes stopping or returning to a game is a big deal. Not something you want to do unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences.

But even with conventional non-MMO games some people like to commit to one and play it exclusively or as their 'main' game until they finish it and I think if you're used to doing that stopping a game before you've run out of things to do could feel like an admission of defeat - there must be something wrong with the game or with how you're playing it for that to happen. So people who do that are maybe more inclined to try to figure out the 'problem' and if it's something they can fix before deciding to stop.

I don't entirely understand it because I'm very much the opposite, I'm always playing a few games at a time and will stop one or pick it up again purely based on what I feel like playing at the time, but I've talked about this a lot with different people. I'd been talking to one guy about playing Xenoblade Chronicles, then happened to mention one day I'd restarted Fire Emblem Three Houses. He asked me what was wrong with Xenoblade that I'd given up on it, which confused me because I hadn't, I was just playing Fire Emblem as well, but explaining that confused him because apparently he'd never do that.

5 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I'm ignorant so am honestly asking: which mmo's offer 10 years of questing?

Idk if 10 years but elder scrolls online easly has over 1000-1500 hours of content in vanilla game alone. And not to mention kitten load of expansions they are pumping evwry single year. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

Idk if 10 years but elder scrolls online easly has over 1000-1500 hours of content in vanilla game alone. And not to mention kitten load of expansions they are pumping evwry single year. 

If you play 2 hours per day 1,500 hours would take you 750 days, or just over 2 years to get through.

Also I don't think it takes most people that long to get through the base game, even doing 100% completion instead of just the main story and Alliance stories. Estimates I've found online say 500-700 hours and as low as 300 if you rush it. The annual expansions can definitely be completed in under a year, including the dungeon and story DLCs. They're promising 30 hours of story content for Necrom and I think they said about the same for previous chapters. (People on the ESO forum routinely complete the main story in a few days or everything they wanted to do in a Chapter in a week or two and then complain they have nothing left to do until the next release.

(I don't actually have an ESO character who has completed the whole base game because I decided to do other things first, and I always play games slowly, but in 990 hours my main character has done the main story, 100% completion of all Daggerfall Covenant maps, Coldharbour, Craglorn, Imperial City and most of Wrothgar, all the PvE activites in Cyrodiil, a bit of PvP in Cyrodiil and IC, several Battlegrounds, fully levelled Fighters and Mages Guilds, Antiquities and Legerdemain, done all the non-DLC dungeons (some multiple times), been around all the other maps and completed various achievements. Oh and spent far too much time decorating houses.)

It's certainly a massive game and if you started it now you'd have a huge amount of stuff to do, but the same is true of GW2. But the other thing which is true of both, and probably all games, is they cannot create content faster than players can complete it. That's not a fault, it's just the reality of game design.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 5

On 3/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

I'm ignorant so am honestly asking: which mmo's offer 10 years of questing?

That was just a failure to identify the problem. The problem is simply ANet's inability to deliver content on a consistent basis. This has been a problem for years. Having quests instead would not magically solve the project management issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:53 PM, Holgarf.6581 said:

I like my look, I don't need more skins, I don't need legendary stuff and have no reason to raid (too many builds). I don't like WvW (more builds) or PvP and there is no open world individualised quests like in traditional MMOs. Fractals are repetitive (and require more builds) and being reliant on achievement hunting via the panel as a guide makes the game feel like a checkbox MMO with no sense of adventure. There's not something for everyone in this game despite it's continued diversity and while I can appreciate it's different approach to conventional MMOs, a lack of story, and episodes that are incredibly short-lived means people like myself are left with nothing to do for months on end. I've not had anything to do since EoD ended besides achievement hunt in the Tower of Nightmares, which feels irrelevant when it just means skins, recipes or sigils as a reward (to contribute to ever explosive need for making more builds for more game modes and specs).

Perhaps consider adding real quests in the open world if Guild Wars 3 is ever made? I like adventures. Adventures give purpose to what you're doing. I've made a few legendaries and I don't see the point in them tbh. I know what they can do, but the investment isn't worth it. My characters look good, to me, so I'm done with the aesthetic side of the game.

I'm not shitting on the game for this by the way, but perhaps after playing on and off for 10 years, there really isn't much left for me to do and 10 years is stretching it because I've felt like this for a long time. Not all of us want to kit out 10 builds in glowy stuff, or repeat metas time and time and time again - it's filler. We need proper adventures in future. Fun quests. Just a thought is all.

I'm guessing since most people are either playing the game or spending the rest of their free time here, that they won't see where I'm coming from. Perhaps a few may get where I am coming from. But it does look as if I've not got much else to do, doesn't it? What would you do in my position. All I do when I log in is a daily and maybe a couple DRMs.

Maybe allow for drag n' drop build lists and equipment slots btw, that is old and needs modernising. Even the Guild panel... you're in one guild but were in a few? Your primary is now in the third slot.

Any suggestions or is it that time?

If you're leaving, please send me as much of your stuff as you can.

Much love 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:53 AM, Holgarf.6581 said:

Stop playing GW2. Uninstall the game, don't look at news about the game, don't come here and don't play the game for at least a few months and see what happens. Look around in the world and play some other games. You'll find out whether you miss this game enough to install it again or not.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Vash.2386 said:

It sounds like GW2 is a game which most of it you don’t enjoy/want to play. 

I think you got it wrong.

1. playing a game is faster than developing new content for a game, that means you always hit times where you explored everything you want and wait for the developer to finish new stuff. That's especially true, the less grindy a game is.
  2. gw2 is a game where you have to set your own goals, whenever you reached a goal you have to find a new one, that’s sometimes easier or more natural than other times, some distance may help.

Both are good reasons to make a break sometimes. Both rather indicate that you enjoyed what you did, still it’s better to switch to something different in between than than to repeat what you enjoyed till you get bored.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are several hidden achievements in different maps, sort of like scavenger hunts. And even if you do not need legendary stuff; if you do some of the 1st and 2nd gen legendaries, they have you going here and there on quest-like scavenger hunts to gradually build your precursor, something I've found quite enjoyable. Worth a shot, if you feel like you've done everything else.

Other than that, take a break, try some other game, see if you suddenly get nostalgic and want to return to Guild Wars 2 after a while. I've done so several times over the past decade, and though it might take a little getting back into it, your characters won't be outdated... sure, there might be some new builds, gear, etc. but thanks to horizontal progression instead of the endless vertical, power creep of other MMOs, you will be able to step right back in.

If you're done with fashion, and you don't like buildcraft, the writing's on the wall for you. I can't imagine there's another reason to stay, other than sunk costs.

Which is fine! GW2, like any other game, isn't for everyone. You could also come back after a break, like folks have mentioned in the thread. I'm just adding my opinion that I don't think there's anything to keep you here long term if you've met your fashion goals, and buildcraft doesn't interest you.

19 hours ago, Gartner Kinderboom.5019 said:

It sounds like you haven't even participated in the end game

I don't understand this statement. Are you suggesting that unless a player does end game, they aren't allowed to be upset about their time invested?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

36 minutes ago, Krexen.9057 said:

I don't understand this statement. Are you suggesting that unless a player does end game, they aren't allowed to be upset about their time invested?

No, pretty sure he's suggesting that OP says he doesn't have what to do ingame, while not playing a lot of the content the game has to offer.
I'm also not sure where that "aren't allowed to be upset about their time invested" comes from (and I mean both "aren't allowed" AND the "being upset about their time invested" parts), but maybe I missed something.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, pretty sure he's suggesting that OP says he doesn't have what to do ingame, while not playing a lot of the content the game has to offer.
I'm also not sure where that "aren't allowed to be upset about their time invested" comes from (and I mean both "aren't allowed" AND the "being upset about their time invested" parts), but maybe I missed something.

I've already described the issue above. Omitting raids and PVP because the only reward is cosmetic (and the commitment to doing them outweighs said reward by a long shot) rather than an adventure is not something I want to waste time on. The 4,000 hours and money spent is why I doubt leaving and that's something a lot of other people would feel like if they considered it if they'd run out of content. The only reward past the story is currency and material earning and skins.

I didn't play much of GW1 so I may go try get into that more, alongside the other games I'm playing.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I've already described the issue above. Omitting raids and PVP because the only reward is cosmetic

Ok, but then again didn't you say you're aiming at exotics for re-gearing? Why not go for ascended to have an additional goal? Overally you can dismiss anything you want, I simply don't see the point of this thread. Did you expect people to try and convince you to stay or something? There is content to play, there are goals for the players to set for themselves, if you don't want to do anything more than you're already doing then there's nothing anyone can say here. Play what you want or quit and start playing singleplayer games to focus on their story before moving to another one. No mmorpg game will keep dishing out story content faster than the players can go through it. I simply don't understand what you're expecting from this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Ok, but then again didn't you say you're aiming at exotics for re-gearing? Why not go for ascended to have an additional goal? Overally you can dismiss anything you want, I simply don't see the point of this thread. Did you expect people to try and convince you to stay or something? There is content to play, there are goals for the players to set for themselves, if you don't want to do anything more than you're already doing then there's nothing anyone can say here. Play what you want or quit and start playing singleplayer games to focus on their story before moving to another one. No mmorpg game will keep dishing out story content faster than the players can go through it. I simply don't understand what you're expecting from this thread.

I have like 7 sets of ascended. But people have started turning funny (bias n' all, primitive minds, defensive behaviour, bitterness, etc) so now so I'm going to disappear. Trust a forum and an opposite opinion in an attempt to garner maturity within a conversation involving people's favourite game.

No I didn't need convincing, I needed ideas, another point of view to quell my doubt before I made potentially regrettable decisions. Instead, it's now turning into accusations and petty jabs. "Oh you're not doing raids..." well, if I make a build to be suitable in raids, I repeat those repetitive raids, repeatedly, until I get currency, and then finally a piece of armour with a different look, that I can change stats on? Err... why? What actually is the point? Only cosmetics? Stat swapping? I have loads of builds and build slots now and exotic is easy enough to get. There is absolutely zero point to doing raids but apparently I'm making my experience in Guild Wars 2 boring because I haven't wasted my time on something I don't like, as opposed to having something real to do like, lore-oriented, story driven, etc. There is zero incentive for raids and even less so for PvP/WvW. Stories have incentive by design. Proper quests do. kitten, dare I say it but even traditional gear grind does.

And I've not played for 10 years. I started in 2012 and there's been plenty of other breaks in that time. I've not sat there and smashed the game repeatedly for that length of time. On story based content alone it is mopped up exceptionally quickly - the rest of it is repeated filler with no meaningful rewards.

Some of you in future will share the same opinion as myself, you just haven't realised it yet.

Thanks again to those who gave decent suggestions without the poisonous subtly. I've unsubbed now and won't be receiving any more notifications.

Good day.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I have like 7 sets of ascended. But people have started turning funny (bias n' all, primitive minds, defensive behaviour, bitterness, etc) so now so I'm going to disappear. Trust a forum and an opposite opinion in an attempt to garner maturity within a conversation involving people's favourite game.

No I didn't need convincing, I needed ideas, another point of view to quell my doubt before I made potentially regrettable decisions. Instead, it's now turning into accusations and petty jabs. "Oh you're not doing raids..." well, if I make a build to be suitable in raids, I repeat those repetitive raids, repeatedly, until I get currency, and then finally a piece of armour with a different look, that I can change stats on? Err... why? What actually is the point? Only cosmetics? Stat swapping? I have loads of builds and build slots now and exotic is easy enough to get. There is absolutely zero point to doing raids but apparently I'm making my experience in Guild Wars 2 boring because I haven't wasted my time on something I don't like, as opposed to having something real to do like, lore-oriented, story driven, etc. There is zero incentive for raids and even less so for PvP/WvW. Stories have incentive by design. Proper quests do. kitten, dare I say it but even traditional gear grind does.

And I've not played for 10 years. I started in 2012 and there's been plenty of other breaks in that time. I've not sat there and smashed the game repeatedly for that length of time. On story based content alone it is mopped up exceptionally quickly - the rest of it is repeated filler with no meaningful rewards.

Some of you in future will share the same opinion as myself, you just haven't realised it yet.

Thanks again to those who gave decent suggestions without the poisonous subtly. I've unsubbed now and won't be receiving any more notifications.

Good day.

I wasn't talking about any legendary gear at any point though. It was simply about more content being available to play. When talking about exotic gear, I had in mind what you wrote in this thread, specifically things like these:

On 3/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, Holgarf.6581 said:

but with little choice it seems the best order is to just rework all of my builds across 5 other characters and bring them up to PoF/EoD specs - throw in some ones viable for raids (exotics only though) but that's an awful lot of work

On 3/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, Holgarf.6581 said:

I will take a break for a while, maybe occasionally pop on to do a daily and earn currency for bladed set pieces to convert my characters.

Which were talking about logging in daily for bladed (exotic) pieces and calling regearing "an awful lot of work". If you have 7 ascended sets and exotics are easy to get then it just leaves me a little confused what that specifically was supposed to be about. I don't know what I'm missing here or how anything about that is somehow biased/primitive/defensive/bitter.

Meanwhile if you're not interested in any content you apparently clearly know is in the game because you'd rather play through story or have classic questing system (which absence of is a rather well known part for gw2 too, maybe with the later exception of limited number of collections which pose as chain-quest "guides") then... There's no answer here. There's nothing to propose because you know what's there and what you like or dislike. If you need a break then just take one.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, Holgarf.6581 said:

I think you've already answered that question to yourself. Have you considered that mmos don't have to be a 'this is the game I play'? Take 3 months completely off, play some other games, see how you feel then. Maybe come back and if you enjoy it, play more, or don't.

I think some people think of mmorpgs too much as a full-time job. Play when you want, and stop when it's not fun. Try to ignore the FOMO that permeates most of them.

• Like 2

Diablo IV drops June 6th. Public open beta this weekend. Solo play or group play. Open world events and bosses on a timer similar to GW2 where others participate (usually it's been a fail as the bosses are tough). Game looks and plays like a Diablo game should and uses the same music. Only problem is the fixed camera IMO. Give it try. Hopefully Blizzard won't incorporate P2W and other red flags like they did in Diablo Immortal.

Que times were about an hour long last weekend tho and only 3 playable classes---Rogue, Barb and Sorc. Hopefully Druid and Necro will be playable this weekend.

• Sad 1