No credit for WvW Objective Defender

WvW Objective Defender has always been a tricky daily to finish with the only foolproof way to earn credit being to repair a wall/gate. Now that repairing doesn't give credit for defending a structure anymore, it's kind of a lottery whether you get credit for defending or not.

Just today we were defending Garrison for ~15 minutes (definitely longer than the 3 minute def event timer) until the enemies finally managed to take it but despite killing several players (I lost count but it was more than 3 since I finished invasion defender ;P), destroying siege and closing the gate to stop enemies from running back I still didn't get the objective defender and neither did several other players.

I understand that you're trying to stop people from just wasting supplies and leeching defense participation while not actively playing.... but please find a way so players who are actually defending can still get credit. Thanks.

If you need more input on this matter go check out this thread over in the WvW subforum:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I don't think it is bugged as such, only really, really poorly designed as a mechanism. Before the change, there were two ways to get defense credit: (a) repair, or (b) kill an enemy who is eligible for capping credit when killed. Now that (a) is removed, (b) is the only possibility. Where it gets wonky is when you consider what makes a player eligible for capping credit. Again, there are only two ways: (a) kill one of the NPC defenders, or (b) stand in the circle when the object flips (other actions that rationally should give capping credit like breaking a gate or wall ... don't). Since object flip immediately terminates the defense event, the only possible way to get defense credit is to kill an enemy who has already killed an NPC, and there isn't any way to know which enemy player (if any) has done that. So, as it currently stands, the mechanism is completely broken.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Unfortunately, as with most things WvW related, ArenaNet won’t acknowledge this problem exists, and if they do, it will simply be another “testing phase”.

The sad thing is, we paid money for a game, not to be beta testers for a company that doesn’t fix issues (some that have existed for over half a decade).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's stupid now to try to defend. I was so happy they put in a weekly defender achieve for my roaming and havoc friends in WvW and now they've made it so difficult to achieve, it's  near impossible.
I just fought in a big zerg battle on hills, killed multiple enemies (at least 5), repaired the gate, killed enemy siege ... no defense credit.

STUPID.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Spiral.3724 said:

It's stupid now to try to defend. I was so happy they put in a weekly defender achieve for my roaming and havoc friends in WvW and now they've made it so difficult to achieve, it's  near impossible.
I just fought in a big zerg battle on hills, killed multiple enemies (at least 5), repaired the gate, killed enemy siege ... no defense credit.

STUPID.

Well that seige and enemys must have actualy attacked the objective tho.

I agree that defense is ridiculously hard to be credited for. Tagging enemies that trigger the attack event does not count towards defense. Breaking siege weapons does not count towards defense (or offense, for that matter). Killing enemies within the walls of a team-owned objective does not count towards defense so long as they did not kill an NPC. Repairing walls, which is literally the main thing to do if you want to keep your enemies out, does not count towards defense anymore. Building defensive siege does not count towards defense.

I understand how abusable things can get, but I mean seriously, we need some lenience here. Repairing gives too much credit? Cap it at bronze participation. Building siege in a team-owned objective too easily abusable? Make it so only repairing/building cannons, oil pots and tier-upgrade level structures counts towards defense; otherwise, enemy tagging with siege weapons regardless of origin, as long as they are in the defense radius of the objective, should give defense participation, based on how much damage was dealt and not on how many people were killed - which, need I remind the dev team, is an extremely rare occurrence with static siege weapons, facing a highly mobile, densely packed attacking zerg.

Defense needs to be treated coherently, not exclusively in a matter of "kill or be killed", but taking into account suppression too. Not all defense is offensive. Not all defense should imply active aggression from the opposing force. At this time, it is almost pointless to try and defend objectives, because the game does not consider we are defending anything so long as we are not killing somebody that is already putting our team in danger. Preventing damage is highly irrelevant, and I do not think for a second that this should be the case.

Edited by Dotveg.5108
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

just spent about 20 minutes defending a tower in ebg, 20+ players on both sides, got many kills in the process, got daily invasion defender, rolled an emblem of the avenger, but did not once get tower defense credit, and other people in the fight were similarly perplexed

based on the above descriptions of what likely constitutes credit, it makes sense, it was QL, green owned it, it had been opened by a cata on the ledge by blue, and then we kept fighting over it at the walls, so nobody we killed while defending had killed a guard or been anywhere near the capture ring.

please consider reverting the repair change until defense (and offense) credit can be more reasonably achieved, or you're just gonna keep on punishing the majority of the players in this game mode for the leeching actions of a few. there's plenty of other leeching going on like AFK farmers, PvE meta leeches, etc. that goes unaddressed, why was this particular situation so important to "fix" while making it feel so much worse for your active players.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Something else is they finally started rewarding healing and reviving in PvE, but not WvW where teamwork also matters? Debatably more so? They say the changed rewards to encourage real battles, but there's little to no credit for participating as intended.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, Bellina.5419 said:

I was trying to defend 1v3 on a keep yesterday, did not get any type of credits at all, even I slowed them down for 30mins until help arrived.

You have to get a kill credit, not just "slow them down".  If you didn't get a kill credit, it may have to do with not doing enough damage to "tag" them or enough support to the player who did kill them.

If, after that you still didn't get defense credit, that's the bugged part.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

So it took me nearly two hours to get credit for one defense event today for dailies.  For the longest time no group I was in could hold back an assault on a tower/keep/stonemist.

I started roaming and would kill people trying to take camps, and received no credit.

Reading through this thread... I had to let them kill NPCs at the camp first before killing them to get defense credit?  In what world is that a sane metric.  Sorry guard, I had to let them kill you before I could fight back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding that since this is still the case, the entire daily wizards vault chest is at stake because you have to complete all of the dailies to get the chest.  There's no longer any option to skip a poor daily if it comes up.  *sigh*  I am either going ignore the daily vault those days or switch where in the game I'm spending my time (AKA switch my vault to no WvW and see if the other mode dailies are less broken) 😛 

Edited by Esperano.2367
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

today I defended mul;tiple keeps getting credit for killing invaders even got an emblem of the avenger and got credit for no object defenders.  It seems for every six objects that you defend you may be credited for one if you are lucky

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...