My dumb idea for a PvP game mode rework. Thoughts?

Leaderboards should reflect individual skill OR skill at managing/playing with a team. Not neither, and not either-or interchangeably.

PvP modes should be split like this:

Unranked

Conquest, 5v5. Premades permitted. Unranked.

Stronghold, 5v5. Premades permitted. Unranked.

Ranked

Conquest 5v5. Roulette/Solo Q only. 

MAT/AT 5v5. Premades permitted. 

1v1 Deathmatch*

*should be replaced by 2v2 and 3v3 deathmatch on the off seasons. 

Reward/thingamabob Distribution:

• A set of unique badges/titles/gizmos for placing in MaT.
  • A set of unique badges/titles for placing in ranked 1v1/2v2/3v3.
  • A set of unique badges/titles for placing in Conquest.

*The badges should stack. If you have done your qualifiers for 1v1 and Conquest queues, for instance, you should have two badges next to your name. 

• Playing in any mode noted above should allow you legendary progression. Playing in unranked should be slower. Playing in ranked should be faster.
  • Playing in 1v1 should subject you to aggressive ladder placement. You lose, you lose rating.
  • Playing in  conquest should subject you to buffered ladder placement. You lose, you lose rating unless you are one of the top two performers for you team, in which case you lose less rating/no rating.
  • Queueing for ranked games in particular should offer you an option to queue for multiple modes at a time/opt out of queues for games you don't want to play in. For instance, I should be able to queue for 1v1 and Conquest(soloQ) at the same time, or one or the other with an exclusion for the other mode. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 17
  • Confused 3

Puh going to be hard, filling all those modes with the 17 people that play spvp. 

maybe there needs to be a seasonpass like reward track with unique, pvp exclusive rewards, to attract a few more players?
perhaps this thing could be monetized too? Wait, that worked for no game out there, right?

so.many.questions. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Leaderboards should reflect individual skill OR skill at managing/playing with a team. Not neither, and not either-or interchangeably.

Unranked

Ranked

*The badges should stack. If you have done your qualifiers for 1v1 and Conquest queues, for instance, you should have two badges next to your name. 

• Playing in any mode noted above should allow you legendary progression. Playing in unranked should be slower. Playing in ranked should be faster.
  • Playing in 1v1 should subject you to aggressive ladder placement. You lose, you lose rating.
  • Playing in  conquest should subject you to buffered ladder placement. You lose, you lose rating unless you are one of the top two performers for you team, in which case you lose less rating/no rating.
  • Queueing for ranked games in particular should offer you an option to queue for multiple modes at a time/opt out of queues for games you don't want to play in. For instance, I should be able to queue for 1v1 and Conquest(soloQ) at the same time, or one or the other with an exclusion for the other mode. 

Outstanding ideas, Azure. Nice work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2023 at 12:48 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Unranked

Ranked

How to measure individual performance on conquest?

If you allow unranked progress for ranked, ppl would just spam premade on unranked.

How you offer 1v1 if they balance the game based on roles not on classes. Some classes just cant survive on 1v1, no matter you change your build. 

• Like 4

typically smart companies like Blizzard see what is popular with the player base and then copy it, or enable them. Anet has been given the blueprint a thousand times on these forums and never listens. Which game makes more $$ and has more players? - The game that listens to the community. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, anjo.6143 said:

How to measure individual performance on conquest?

Measured match stats contribution (% of x vs team) for offense, defense, damage, kills etc. Use top atats. The top two people with the most of that pie get no rating loss.

If you allow unranked progress for ranked, ppl would just spam premade on unranked.

They do that now, except you don't get rewarded for it. 

To get rewarded now, you have to opt in to being placed vs premades who really, really care if they lose. Let people who dont wanna do that get their shinies. Let unranked losses be the Black Lion Statuette of opening a black lion chest.

How you offer 1v1 if they balance the game based on roles not on classes. Some classes just cant survive on 1v1, no matter you change your build. 

Which classes cant 1v1, no matter the build?

Balance passes will need to be done if 1v1 is to be offered, anyway. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Measured match stats contribution (% of x vs team) for offense, defense, damage, kills etc. Use top atats. The top two people with the most of that pie get no rating loss.

To get rewarded now, you have to opt in to being placed vs premades who really, really care if they lose. Let people who dont wanna do that get their shinies. Let unranked losses be the Black Lion Statuette of opening a black lion chest.

Top stats don't reward all roles equally.

Also you can get top offense by 1v1ing on the enemy node the whole game.

Edited by Zuko.7132
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Zuko.7132 said:

Top stats don't reward all roles equally.

Also you can get top offense by 1v1ing on the enemy node the whole game.

Reasonable. 

This is just to prevent rating loss for ranked games mind you, to discourage afking. You still lost the game, but this lays the foundations for potential comebacks. 

I'm sure theres a more consice way of determining the two most generally active players on the team, but if you deduce the game is a wash more often than not doing things that get you top stats will generally be beneficial to your team.

Its not perfect, but it will keep people from throwing after one bad mid exchange, hopefully.  If theres a better system of metrics that can be used to determine who did the most work, we can revisit that anytime.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Reasonable. 

This is just to prevent rating loss for ranked games mind you, to discourage afking. You still lost the game, but this lays the foundations for potential comebacks. 

I'm sure theres a more consice way of determining the two most generally active players on the team, but if you deduce the game is a wash more often than not doing things that get you top stats will generally be beneficial to your team.

Its not perfect, but it will keep people from throwing after one bad mid exchange, hopefully.  If theres a better system of metrics that can be used to determine who did the most work, we can revisit that anytime.

offense should just be changed to neutral node. healing should only count for healing others.

3 hours ago, Eddie.9143 said:

typically smart companies like Blizzard see what is popular with the player base and then copy it, or enable them. Anet has been given the blueprint a thousand times on these forums and never listens. Which game makes more $$ and has more players? - The game that listens to the community. 

I have to bite back at this one. Blizzard made some MAJOR mistakes with WoW that big streamers not just talked about it in their 2 hour videos, but quit the game over it. I quit after WotLK because they butchered the skill tree system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

what about the player who holds 2 ppl at far without killing them or decap or step foot on the cap. but created a situation where his team could cap close.and mid?

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't like the idea of 1v1 deathmatch. If you're both skilled enough to know what your buttons do, it's just flat out build wars 2. People expecting to 1v1 won't be taking roamer builds, everyone will be on bruiser builds that just won't ever die. If the 1v1 arena is large enough so that you can kite in it(with LoS), the duels will last until some extra effects kick in(like no healing/permareveal after X minutes past).
I don't really want to nitpick the rest, just saying that if you want a "fight untill death" style gamemode, don't make it 1v1.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

what about the player who holds 2 ppl at far without killing them or decap or step foot on the cap. but created a situation where his team could cap close.and mid?

maybe we can include a "most aggro held" to catch this? That's a good question. I'd imagine successfully doing this for long enough that you'd want to be compensated with a rating buffer would just...win you the game, but It may need to be accounted for  as well.

2 hours ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

I don't like the idea of 1v1 deathmatch. If you're both skilled enough to know what your buttons do, it's just flat out build wars 2. People expecting to 1v1 won't be taking roamer builds, everyone will be on bruiser builds that just won't ever die. If the 1v1 arena is large enough so that you can kite in it(with LoS), the duels will last until some extra effects kick in(like no healing/permareveal after X minutes past).
I don't really want to nitpick the rest, just saying that if you want a "fight untill death" style gamemode, don't make it 1v1.

I understand that, wishful thinking tbh. I'm quite aware people will lean into bunker nonsense the moment they dont have a secondary objective that punishes them for doing so. I wish there was a way to reward people for not boring themselves and their opponents to death, but that's probably not something that is easily fixable. 

2 hours ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

They could do it so that you can only choose between a couple of stats.

• Haha 1

why not just use one of the GW1 modes that people actually enjoyed that didn't have a circle to bunker.

thats all the game needs really. a 5v5 mode that doesn't encourage bunker builds (the reason why conquest is bad btw). going to 1v1 is pure pepega, considering the game isn't balanced for it at all. 2v2 and 3v3 are already a mess, 1v1 will be worse.

honestly anet actually working on a project and iterating on stronghold could have been good. feel like sticking with a mode that encourages bunker builds when you don't want people to play them is just a pure moron move, so we need a new gamemode.

doubt we will get it tho. can't see any actual app changes happening again ever.

Edited by Bunbury.8472
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it would go a long way if they just made a transparent end game Screen where all the data of all players can be seen and visualized graphically.

I like the graph that exist already, the one that displays points over time. But even there it would be nice if you could see wich node awarded how many points for each team or the time it was neutral. Furthermore you could also display points gained by kills and map mechanic seperately too.

And ofc just being able to access the post game screen or at least the statistics after you left or get thrown out of the game. Maybe even save it as file. Then only replays would be missing but you can make them yourselfs easy enough.

This would help so much to see who actually had grear impact in the game. Because dmg, killparticipation revives heals and time spend on nodes while in combat (current top stats) especially only seeing the top scorer per team can be almost useless.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:48 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Playing in  conquest should subject you to buffered ladder placement. You lose, you lose rating unless you are one of the top two performers for you team, in which case you lose less rating/no rating.

this, for me, is the most important thing.

I will give rating at who have 3 or more top stat, also if you loose.

Good post. Except top stats as is do no not always equate to quality play and should stay vestigial in their current form. To add incentive on acquiring these is to change what goes from a wining play style to one where roamers go around tagging kills for the sake of numbers, to bunkers and bruisers capturing and holding points in pairs in pursuit of top offense and defense, and healers roaming out of their way to heal players not in need while shooting for every revival despite 5% downed enemies being 2 meters away. The list goes on. Also how is it fair to lose nothing when you lose a match? Even in a perfect game where all possible metrics for being skilled are adequately documented, if you lose then you still lose. Rating loss should only be reduced when a team loses a player for a substantial time. Even then, the lost points should still remain to an extent to prevent top players from begging their way into no points lost ("please leave and I will pay you gold so I don't lose rating"). A reduction in loss per top stats acquired would be possible if many more top stats were added, maybe. Least deaths, secondary objectives completed, most crowd control applied, most attacks landed, least damage taken, most damage taken, most conditions applied, etc. Basically just over-saturate the match with top stats so nobody feels the need to redundantly compete amongst teammates for them, which will still bring incentive to always try without destroying the selfless fundamentals that get an actual win. Although, since this company refuses to embark in the most trivial of competitive endeavors, I would say just remove top stat symbols completely. They currently inaccurately paint a picture which inflates the egos of toxic and unhelpful players, often enabling them to continue losing trends. Stats also diminish the spirit of newer players who may or may not be on the right track regardless of their numbers. It is a shame when someone with top stats starts spamming nonsense at fundamentally efficient teammates because they have less symbols beside their name. 

I think that the rating should be determined by the quality of the game, not by winning. So, if we don't want the stats to be decisive, at least let's introduce a score for each player in the game. above a certain score you get rating points, below you lose them.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

You cannot progress on ranked through unranked matches.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Assuming player at same skill level:
Thief cant beat Duelist no matter what