10 Year in-game bug (mouse pointer) [Merged]

So I've recently posted this on reddit: 

Someone in the comments suggested to post this here in order to get more attention to it from the devs. In the video's in this post i've shown that the mouse keeps teleporting when I rapidly hold and release the mouse button and move my camera. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I usually use Yolomouse with GW2 because I hate losing track of my cursor but I tested this without it. Managed to trigger it few times, where the cursor jumped with the rotating movement, but it's not as constant as in your clip. This was with Dx11 and windowed fullscreen @ 5120x1440p.

Edit: Might have something to do with latency/fps, both of which are normally good for me. But I'd say definitely something "hinky" going on, the cursor should not jump like it did.

Edited by Jukhy.2431

This is an old know bug known as "jumping cursor", its never been fixed or even acknowledged. I have this problem sometimes too and my "fix" is a autohotkey script that records the mouse cursors location when you press right mouse button and then move the cursor to this location when you release the button.  This helps but doesn't fix it completely.

Edited by Xinopia.5134
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently returned GW2 (and am loving it) but I realized after 8 years the same bug is in the game 😞 and found out what is happening, and causing it, and a little surprised it has not been addressed/fixed by the DevTeam at ArenaNet.

While you're in the game, and reproducible, you can mouse scroll the mini map and text window while the in-game mouse pointer is in the middle of the screen. What I found is that while in the game is that the right click to pan the camera is access ing the Windows Mouse Pointer.

How to reproduce:

1. Log into the game
  2. hop into any of your characters
  3. place your pointer in the middle of the screen
  4. right click and hold down the mouse button
  5. while still holding down, now move the mouse to the upper right area of the screen/monitor and when you think you have the mouse pointer (you won't see it because you're holding down the right click button) in the most far upper right corner - scroll your mouse wheel in and out. this will allow you to zoom in and out of your mini map (if your map is in this location on your UI)
  6. After you do the above, let go of the right mouse click and whallah! the in-game mouse pointer is in the middle of the screen still where you started - indicating that the mouse right click is accessing the windows pointer in the background, causing confusion of where the in-game mouse pointer actually is and explains why I'm always having to re-zoom in on my mini map and text window.

Same can be done with the text when when moving the mouse to the text area bottom left with the above steps.

Now, why is this annoying ? For years while playing the game I found that the mouse pointer would randomly 'let go of the screen panning' causing me to have to click on the game to regain camera panning. I noticed this when I'm doing heavy mouse movements in the game, especially in PVP situations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

While you're rotating the camera, the cursor is actually moving around, it's just hidden. When you release the camera, the cursor is moved back to the point where it was first held down. Scrollable elements don't check the state of the cursor, so using the mouse wheel while the (hidden) cursor is over it will cause it to scroll. It should be a trivial fix, but at this point, it'll likely never happen.

There's an option in Windows to show the location of the cursor when pressing CTRL if you want to make it obvious. Search the start menu for pointer (change the mouse pointer display or speed).

If you're having a problem with GW2 losing focus, there's a bug where if you click at the edge of the screen while moving the cursor outside of GW2's window (towards a second screen), you're able to break the cursor outside of the window, causing your next click to change focus.

If GW2 is losing focus while you're actively rotating the camera or not doing anything, some other program is likely stealing focus.

If you're only finding that the camera is being released while you're still holding the button, and GW2 is still focused, then your mouse button is likely starting to fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Can not reproduce your thing and with dx11 there is no longer any fullscreen mode.

what screen resolution are you in ?
do you run dual monitors ? (assume yes, that's pretty much a norm today lol)

aware of the dx11 fullscreen, but I used that term because that's how it's labeled in game settings 🙂

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Crawford.4135 said:

what screen resolution are you in ?
do you run dual monitors ? (assume yes, that's pretty much a norm today lol)

aware of the dx11 fullscreen, but I used that term because that's how it's labeled in game settings 🙂

2560x1440 and yes I got 2 monitors

On 3/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, Demonhead.7584 said:

Managed to recreate this issue as per your provided instructions, but I agree with Healix, it's probably because the UI element is just detected cursor position and doesnt check state of the cursor (i.e. wether pressed down or not).

It's quite strange 😞 I guess I'm more surprised it's never been fixed and a decade later. not game breaking but certainly game-annoying 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

After having this issue and able to reproduce it, I had my viewers on my stream do the same and every single one of them is able to reproduce this, too

Any chance a Dev person could look into this and hope to bring a resolution/fix to this ? it's really causing a lot of issues

• Sad 1

This is reproducable in a windowed screen on an ultra wide. And yes I can see how that can confuse and cause annoyance.

I can't believe someone would dismiss a bug because they don't perceive/can't reproduce it as an issue themselves.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dookie.9572 said:

I have the same problem with a jumping mouse cursor.
This video clearly demonstrates the issue:

Is there any solution on this?

Oh yea totaly something people do to notice this, once every 5 clicks of something you do once in a while.

After seeing this it have probabely happen to me to and all I do is shrug and forget about it

• Like 1

I'll just go ahead and say that mouse should be locked to place when controlling camera not hidden and moves around. In videos above it's clear that cursor moves when you press right or left mouse buttons but that shouldn't be the case because playing a game where fast images/frames happens (like PvP or Raids or even Metas) player doesn't keep looking at mouse cursor (especially if it teleports when hidden), instead player will be focused on surviving and killing but instead cursor goes to some places that it shouldn't be in like goes over compass or gets out of game space (window of GW2). It happened to me a lot over the last few weeks but didn't know i was NOT the only person who have been suffering from it. This should be a PRIORITY issue that MUST be fixed fast.

Edited by Achraf Hidouri.8029
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, for me cursor leaves window and goes to the other monitor and I can reproduce it every time. I use full screen so normally cursor is stopped on the edge and does not exit the game window. But when you start holding right click just on the edge of the monitor and move your mouse quickly, cursor escapes the window and goes to the second monitor. It happens to me when playing the game quite often. Especially annoying during hard encounters like strike cms when confusion where your mouse is can cost team a wipe

Video of the issue:

https://streamable.com/cbtwsy

Edited by lorkano.4609
Recorded video to show how cursor escapes the screen
  • Haha 1

Give an option to let the cursor visible all the time despite right click camera movement, the worst UI choice ever to disappear the cursor with the game fill with visual noises from all the skill and armor weapon skins effect. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'd like to add another aspect here: Steam & controller play.

I'm using Steam input to map the controller to keyboard/mouse. I'm primarily playing in action cam. Steam can switch controller mappings depending on whether the mouse cursor is visible or not, which is extremely useful in GW2. I switch to a gyro-mouse mode for inventory management, hero panel, map, etc, which works very well.

It's almost perfectly supported by GW2, the way it shows/hides the cursor is sensible and I never have to think about switching controller mode manually, it just works. Except these exceptions, when GW2 unnecessarily hides the cursor during drags. This also affects the character preview. In my scenario, the character preview is actually the more annoying situation, because I don't usually move the camera with right-drag, I'm in action cam anyway.

Regardless of this admittedly quite specific scenario, I completely agree that hiding the mouse cursor is one of the worst things you can do from a UX perspective. The user has to know where the mouse is at all times, never hide the cursor (except for action cam of course).

Note that there's also a bug which sometimes causes the mouse cursor to flicker for a frame or two when dragging items in the inventory. This is probably unnoticeable for "normal" players, but it becomes very noticeable and annoying when Steam switches controller mapping for a split second (because cross is the left mouse button in mouse mode and space/jump in action mode, it drops the item randomly and the character jumps).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...