Rifle tweak

Dakmarios.8407

Ok, I know that I can't be the only one that wants the three round rifle number one skill.....hell if it was too op damage (which really it wasn't...mech is what was making that op), lower 0.10 ot 0.15 the damage output....I just want the animation and sound effects back...I want to feel as if I was using a machine gun

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I can imagine them bringing it back, with the caveat of removing the grenade portion of the attack, and then maybe increasing the base damage of it. Basically undoing the synergy with explosives, because Anet delivers, but never in the way you expect them to do so. 

I understand the appeal of the triple attack on rifle, but unfortunately I don't think Anet sympathizes with you very much. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

I can imagine them bringing it back, with the caveat of removing the grenade portion of the attack, and then maybe increasing the base damage of it. Basically undoing the synergy with explosives, because Anet delivers, but never in the way you expect them to do so. 

I understand the appeal of the triple attack on rifle, but unfortunately I don't think Anet sympathizes with you very much. 

They could possibly change things so none of the autoattacks, even on grenades or bombs count towards explosives traits and instead the explosives traitline would focus on augmenting your cooldown skills, for example blunderbuss would be the rifle explosive.

Half the problem with the grenade kit is the fact it does just as much if not higher damage than other weapons while also spamming 3 stacks of vulnerability at an alarming rate while giving the engineer an extra 0.5% per stack.

They could do this by simply rewording the effects to high explosives or augmented explosives etc.

The biggest Issue I think is that the explosives traitline is now too consistant to the point that things like big boomer and short fuse might aswell just be timed passives when you enter combat which somewhat invalidates the point in a unique trigger in my opinion

Oh and while im here they should rename aim assisted rockets to light rockets or the missile turret toobelt to heavy rocket to distinguish them from one another better

Edited by Stalima.5490

9 hours ago, Stalima.5490 said:

Half the problem with the grenade kit is the fact it does just as much if not higher damage than other weapons while also spamming 3 stacks of vulnerability at an alarming rate while giving the engineer an extra 0.5% per stack.

I think you're right about this. Maybe it's time anet removed the explosive tag from the grenade auto-attack.

9 hours ago, Stalima.5490 said:

The biggest Issue I think is that the explosives traitline is now too consistant to the point that things like big boomer and short fuse might aswell just be timed passives when you enter combat which somewhat invalidates the point in a unique trigger in my opinion

I don't think that's an issue. The unique trigger is dependent on whether or not you're running explosive skill types.

2 hours ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

I don't think that's an issue. The unique trigger is dependent on whether or not you're running explosive skill types.

well all the main weapons that would want the explosives line are generally able to just 100% uptime the traits and those that can't do 100% can just dodge and achieve it.

Edited by Stalima.5490

I think the 3 shots where removed because of PvP. In PvP it’s really hard to counter constant 3 packets of damage from 1200 range. It just rips through blind and aegis while also only reducing damage by 1/3. Basically, if you don’t have any projectile blocks (which many don’t) or aren’t good with LoS’ing, you would get creamed.

Just fixing the aftercast would go a long way to making it more fluid (also buff damage in PvP)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coolster.2536 said:

I think the 3 shots where removed because of PvP. In PvP it’s really hard to counter constant 3 packets of damage from 1200 range. It just rips through blind and aegis while also only reducing damage by 1/3. Basically, if you don’t have any projectile blocks (which many don’t) or aren’t good with LoS’ing, you would get creamed.

Just fixing the aftercast would go a long way to making it more fluid (also buff damage in PvP)

Well, most auto attack skills can preform similarly against Blindness/Aegis, especially with quickness, since both of them are usually not encountered more than twice in a row. They're meant to save you from powerful attacks if you time them correctly, against auto attacks they're not worth much. So I don't see why they'd specifically nerf the engineer rifle auto attack for that reason. If I was them I'd just bring back the 3 shot attack and balance it's damage, maybe even make into a quad shot attack with minimal aftercast, but ofcourse adjust the damage from each shot appropriately. And probably take away the synergy with explosives, because that was the issue, the ability to activate explosives traits from 1200 range. And although mortar has the same qualities it lacks everything else rifle offers, CC, mobility and a specialized close range option. 

14 hours ago, Coolster.2536 said:

I've said this a few times but they could have just made the 3 shots simultanious so it fully shotguns and ties into the theme of the engineers rifle better rather than it being a machine gun that is also apparantly a shotgun.

The engineer rifle has always had the theme of getting closer and taking risks in order to be rewarded and a 3 shot spread would further add to this, if they wanted to go bananas maybe even make it a 5-shot spread but that runs the risk of breaking sharpshooter a little if they didn't change that too.

Edited by Stalima.5490

Something like this would probably work better as 3 mutually-exclusive traits. Something like:

• Pinpoint Distribution now replaces the 'default' Slugshot Rounds with 'Cartridge Rounds' that increase the range of its attacks to 1500 and the damage of the auto-attack but it fires only one bullet at a time.
  • No Scope now also makes rifle attacks shoot 5-pellet Buckshots, making rifle fire 5 bullets at a time, but they spread in a wide volley and their range is reduced to 900. 
  • Thermal Vision now gives rifle "Dragon's breath" incendiary rounds, causing rifle auto-attacks to become a cleaving attack in a cone that deals 3 stacks of 3s burning for 3 seconds to 3 enemies, and all other rifle attacks also cause 1 stack of burning for 5s. But as a downside, it also greatly decreases the range to just 600 units.

I really like the things that can be done with mutually-exclusive traits and traits that change how skills work.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Something like this would probably work better as 3 mutually-exclusive traits. Something like:

• Pinpoint Distribution now replaces the 'default' Slugshot Rounds with 'Cartridge Rounds' that increase the range of its attacks to 1500 and the damage of the auto-attack but it fires only one bullet at a time.
  • No Scope now also makes rifle attacks shoot 5-pellet Buckshots, making rifle fire 5 bullets at a time, but they spread in a wide volley and their range is reduced to 900. 
  • Thermal Vision now gives rifle "Dragon's breath" incendiary rounds, causing rifle auto-attacks to become a cleaving attack in a cone that deals 3 stacks of 3s burning for 3 seconds to 3 enemies, and all other rifle attacks also cause 1 stack of burning for 5s. But as a downside, it also greatly decreases the range to just 600 units.

I really like the things that can be done with mutually-exclusive traits and traits that change how skills work.

I would be for that, but sadly I know they would never actually implement something like that. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

I like that idea but it is way too good and nice that it will never happens.

That being said, these skill are tied to the firears trait and well...Rifle doesnt exactly benefit from most trait in this line as it is mostly centered around condition, which pistol is good at. 

Honestly we could extend that idea to pistol as well but...oh well we can dream

• Confused 1