Guild Wars 2 the new WOW

.Have played GW2 long enough to have 10 level 80 characters and all expansions. Enjoyed the game from the first moment i created a character. The community was a welcome place from WOW where i was then playing. Everyone was willing to help new players and so friendly. As  i continued to play i met and associated with many new people from different parts of the world. Conversations and game play was the best. We all seemed to learn battles, dungeons and metas together. Not once was anyone treated as not welcome. Nor were players kicked from events for lack of knowledge as happened in WOW constantly. Now it seems as if you dont know a battle or know the correct abbreviations, you are not welcome or kicked out of events. Part of playing a game is learning how to overcome difficult challenges with the help of fellow players. Now to advance in the game you must watch utube and learn how to fit into a meta. Even if you try to enter a training strike mission or be kicked out. The community has, in my opinion, become the new WOW.  Lots of talk about how long players have been in GW2. Have been staying away because it is not fun any more. A statement i never thought i would say. Maybe one day it will become a game again instead of a constant bragging place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

While this has been the case for many years now, things worsened for me as well. On one hand you have people who want to "help" new players by force (as it happened when the game went on Steam or in easy contents like fractals). These are usually people who know 1 thing or 2 and want to feel important. On the other hand, you have people who waste 10 minutes to form the perfect squad, but don't want to waste 30 seconds to explain 1 mechanic in a simple strike mission: "just watch a video on YT, I can't be bothered". In both cases, they don't talk like they'd talk to another person at their level.

It's weird how the more elite specs we got, and the less builds are considered viable. You are flamed even in sPvP because you're not using a meta build. "I queued in solo, if we have been matched together, it means that we are at the same level. Let me play what I want to play. If your build is better, how's that you are at my level?".

Honestly I don't know who to blame. Streamers and Youtubers that don't want to look noobs and copy straight from metabattle. The power creep is probably one of the reasons too, as differences in builds are more evident now, but there are still plenty of good options I think. Also, the easier the game becomes, the more kids will play it, and probably this is the main reason. No matter what's your build or your knowledge about the game, grown up mature people ought not behave like this. But maybe I'm too old and naive and mankind is really doomed, as toxicity in not only present in videogames.

Btw, a tiny hope, is that there are small and good communities/guilds even in big games. I don't know if TOG is present also in GW2 (I rarely check their Discord channel).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

Btw, a tiny hope, is that there are small and good communities/guilds even in big games. I don't know if TOG is present also in GW2 (I rarely check their Discord channel).

TOG had a big presence at launch but has generally moved on to other games. A few members still log on regularly. Probably easiest to hunt down an invite over Discord if you need one.

GW2 doesn't feel like other MMOs to me, let alone WOW, though I did leave a good long time ago (late Cataclysm). Demands are different, fights are different. That rolls over to group leadership.

I've stumbled over all sorts of leaders. I'd say that truly experienced strike leaders and players tend to be realistic about the demands of a particular encounter, and are willing help out players new to a mechanic. One or two downs due to bad luck or careless positioning (standing inside Whisper is a classic)? There's still enough of a squad to wrap it up. Power creep has actually helped with that. If there's a wipe for some reason, experienced players give pointers and try again. Boss fight strikes make a restart -- or slogging it out -- easier than dropping and trying to regroup.

Newer strike leaders seem to fall into two camps: overly cautious and sometimes slightly scatterbrained trying to track all the details, or impatient and easily frustrated. Both have watched encounter videos. The cautious camp want to tackle it right, while the impatient ones can't understand why it's taking so long and don't have any plan for when things go slightly off.

• Thanks 1

Nothing out of the ordinary. The game is in another of its "sleep cycles" in-between content releases.

The last instanced content release is now 5 months past (Old Lions Court released with Battle for Lions Arch on November 3rd, 2022).

The last big draw release, aka expansion, is 1 year past (EoD launched in February 28th, 2022) and while the game has retained players somewhat better than in the past, it is to be expected that some take a break. Meanwhile WoW had a major expansion launch as did FF14.

With fewer players, there is more disparity present in player skill. Players who took the time to join guilds or trainings during the more active phase have now moved on to statics or more experienced groups (the unfortunate reality is that most do not actually decide to support new players themselves).

As such the LFG becomes more difficult and players are encouraged to once again join communities which are dedicated to training new player instead of relying on the LFG only.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1