Nightmare tower makes me want to quit this game.

Trying to do this with wife so we can see the whole story, so we saw living world 1 cool. Checked it out was enjoying it some. (kinda boring running around but hey that is fine.) 

Nightmare tower hit. This is a joke right? The bomb plants are annoying, and after many many hours of failed groups. I got to third floor and we had to kill this worm and dude at the same time. People died, and gave up.

If the story content is designed like this, I don't think I want to stay. Like I was enjoying the story, why have road blocks? 

• Like 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rager.4963 said:

living world is part of the story is it not?

Living World is part of the story. But the tower itself can be skipped to get to the last part of that story.  If you're on a US server, and you want some help getting through it, my wife and I could run with your wife. We've been able to two man it. It's not easy content, it's true, but it's not meant to be soloed or even duoed either. 

The Nightmare Tower is also old content, and nothing like that has really been repeated since season 1. The rest of it doesn't have stuff like that at all.

• Like 2

Hm, tower of nightmares is no pleasant experience. Who would have thought? I'm sure someone is having a good time now.

Problem seems to be that most players moved on to newer content. I played through these when it was released and there always were plenty of players to make it doable. Ofc that's not something that can help you now but try to play content when it is hot. A solution would be to have some kind of weekly content rotation to stimulate players to go back to content they already played. Like the return to ... achievements of a while ago.

10 hours ago, rager.4963 said:

Trying to do this with wife so we can see the whole story, so we saw living world 1 cool. Checked it out was enjoying it some. (kinda boring running around but hey that is fine.) 

Nightmare tower hit. This is a joke right? The bomb plants are annoying, and after many many hours of failed groups. I got to third floor and we had to kill this worm and dude at the same time. People died, and gave up.

If the story content is designed like this, I don't think I want to stay. Like I was enjoying the story, why have road blocks? 

LS1 is nothing like the rest of the story. It was readded last year to fill a gap, but the rest of the story from LS2 onwards is more like you would expect to play. It’s just that LS1 was a dismal, experimental failure in 2012/13 and they’ve done their best to try and make what they had work without reworking it from scratch. 

Don’t let LS1 affect your opinion of the rest of the game. It is in no way indicative of what is to come, and there is a lot of great gameplay to follow after it (plus they only added some of ls1 back in - there’s other story stuff still stuck in limbo)

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, rager.4963 said:

First of all, I recommend attempting this kind of content at prime time. This is when the dailies reset, and the most players will be online, and usually you can easily use the LFG tool during this time.

That said, a small party can easily do the Tower of Nightmares; its just usually you're getting very inexperienced players. To put this into perspective, a lower-skilled player does maybe 1-5k of DPS and a highly-skilled player does 20-30k or more. This means compared to very bad builds and rotations, a veteran can be equal to an entire party.

I recommend first checking your builds against ones from Metabattle, you might see they're nowhere near what they should be. You can both run hybrid open-world builds or one can be full support and the other full damage. This allows you to carry entire groups so they don't ragequit so easily.

Remember that everything after LV80 is end-game content in this game.  You should be fully geared shortly after hitting it, and LWS1 and onward will all expect you to have a good build, a decent rotation and some fair knowledge of the game. This is content  that was added years after release when everyone was already maxed out.

If you don't feel up to it, then pause and do other things in the game like dungeons and T1 Fractals to learn. You can also continue the story without doing the Tower of Nightmares; its only needed for achievements.

You'll encounter instanced content like this throughout the game, but its never required for story.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, MikSki.9481 said:

It's just the game telling you "you have to group up or get better at playing your character". It is an MMO after all. 

I got through it, but i kinda find this mindset weird. That is not what a mmo is about. But I guess I am old school and remember mud games. *the grandfather of mmos* 

They made both much easier than I thought. Just the game did not tell us that, but we were able to get through it now that we knew that we did not have to go to top of tower.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion, they should add a private instance for 1 to 5 players, just like the Dragon Response Mission in Icebrood saga.  The private instance are for solo or small party... it is less a pain.  Anyways, I didn't know we can skip this part for the story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:40 PM, Valanthe.4067 said:

In my opinion, they should add a private instance for 1 to 5 players, just like the Dragon Response Mission in Icebrood saga.  The private instance are for solo or small party... it is less a pain.  Anyways, I didn't know we can skip this part for the story.

There is a private instance and five players can pass it, but it can take up to ten.

• 1 month later...

The real annoyance is how I finally get to the Center Room of 1/2nd floor, and then a "switch instance" prompt shows, then ppl just dip...
Right into a fresh instance with 0 progress, and then they pm me they can't come back for some reason.
Well woopdie doo, shuda stayed.
Now Ive lost the extra hands to make it clear faster, and they lost all their progress if they weren't doing story.
That is insanely mentally handicapped design.

I get that players are not bright, but the reason this can even happen in the first place lies in the fault of the company tbh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1