Immune to conditions

chripsy.1027

44 minutes ago, chripsy.1027 said:

Why do the devs think it is acceptable to make some builds practically immune to conditions with constant cleanses but giving a build say 95% strike damage reduction is not acceptable? 

There's so many things in this game that does make you "wtf these devs are thinking with doing abc".
Waste of time to be bothered by that lack of logic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, chripsy.1027 said:

Why do the devs think it is acceptable to make some builds practically immune to conditions with constant cleanses but giving a build say 95% strike damage reduction is not acceptable? 

There is always a back and fourth in power versus condi, and now one on sustain as well, that goes back and fourth. There is also a bigger balance in group sizes and the differences there and CC. Take a look at Guardian threads and people say they have too much of both. Have said before and will again, in any mode that allows for 50 v 1, there will never be perfect balance. Point out outliers as you go but there are people that will say there is too power avoidance as well.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, chripsy.1027 said:

I have no idea who is giving you a confused face reaction, it doesn't surprise me that they are confused though. Probably a constant state they are in.

Don't worry about confused faces or better, interpret confused faces like people who don't have an actual argument. I'm with TrollingDemiGod on this one. I also still get upset about things from time to time but they're right in the end.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 7:37 PM, chripsy.1027 said:

My point point is that sure you can dodge, but when you do actually get hit with strike damage, having 95% damage reduction up 100% of the time is absurd... But being almost immune to conditions is completely fine....

The difference is, those strike builds have that one window to damage you,while condi builds can usually play it more safe and keep doing damage even when directly engaged. 

A heal undoes all that the strike build does, but does not do that for condition unless it specifically removes them. 

There are pros and cons and counters for both types. In smaller scale situations conditions tend to perform stronger and are more likely to overwhelm. In larger scales where there are more people to cover each other power tends to get stronger because when enough people focus on someone it's harder to outheal. 

As you can see, most roaming builds are condi and most zerg builds are power. Some exceptions on both sides I'm sure. 

It used to be that condi dominated zergs. And back then you were just flooded and couldn't do anything, you could try heal yourself but those condis would still melt you regardless. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Serephen.3420 said:

As you can see, most roaming builds are condi and most zerg builds are power. Some exceptions on both sides I'm sure. 

As we know from every build site, 9 out of 10  meta roaming builds are either power or celestial.

In the celestial thread people argue that celestial isnt OP, its garbage extra stats so they run power.

Yet most roaming builds are condi.

Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Serephen.3420 said:

? What? Yes is your answer. If I might let me spin this a different way, most roamer builds will be less support and more attack. Be that power/condi/hybrid. Support roamers do occur but less so. Zerg builds vary between condi/power for attack and look more defensive for healers/support via boon spam. 

• Confused 3

On 4/9/2023 at 11:07 AM, chripsy.1027 said:

Oh... The answer to your question is very simple. The answer is that players hate being killed by conditions damage a lot more than they dislike being killed by strike damage. They have the illusion that they can actually react to the incoming strike skills while they feel helpless against the continuous damage that they take after having been struck a few second ago by a skill applying conditions.

As for 95% strike damage reduction, there is actually ways to achieve something that's not far from these numbers for some professions. But such build tend to be unpopular as they mean trading most offense for defense (and often leave you helpless against conditions).

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2023 at 4:24 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Oh... The answer to your question is very simple. The answer is that players hate being killed by conditions damage a lot more than they dislike being killed by strike damage. They have the illusion that they can actually react to the incoming strike skills while they feel helpless against the continuous damage that they take after having been struck a few second ago by a skill applying conditions.

As for 95% strike damage reduction, there is actually ways to achieve something that's not far from these numbers for some professions. But such build tend to be unpopular as they mean trading most offense for defense (and often leave you helpless against conditions).

I know a profession/espec than can get up to 70% reduction (higher versus strike though) in both while still going full DPS.

• Confused 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:07 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Dodging, invouln, reflects and blocks give you 100% damage reduction.

Most builds have access to at least one of them.

Everyone has access to Dodging, so I guess you can put Necros into your list. The crappy "block" on Reaper shroud 2 I guess is a block in the strictest sense. Other than that....poison cloud? Worst class for blocks/reflects/stability/invuln/stealth. But, you know, the Devs believe Necros are fine the way they are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

Everyone has access to Dodging, so I guess you can put Necros into your list. The crappy "block" on Reaper shroud 2 I guess is a block in the strictest sense. Other than that....poison cloud? Worst class for blocks/reflects/stability/invuln/stealth. But, you know, the Devs believe Necros are fine the way they are.

They have a second health bar with built in 50% damage reduction for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, misterman.1530 said:

Only Core and Reaper have that. Scourge has barriers - which are crap, and Harbs have nothing unless they run Poison Cloud. 

Oh I know. Scourge also comes with damage reduction while those shades are up though. Anet values damage reduction very highly. Harb comes with built in health regen based on blight, which is something else that Anet values very highly. If you look at the available pool of defenses on each class you'll find that the ones with more passive HP regen, and/or lots damage reduction tend to have fewer blinds, blocks, and evades.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 1