GW2 Installer stops download randomly and for good [Merged]

Did you do the hosts edit? Do it again, using 127.0.0.1 for the IP, then launch GW2. That should cause GW2 to fail to connect, confirming it was done correctly. The actual IP is currently 174.129.207.177 or 54.160.144.234

If it's not working, launch GW2 with the following options:

-log -patchconnections 1

When it gets stuck, let it sit for a few minutes, then close GW2. View the log by pressing WindowsKey+R and opening:

notepad %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.log

Post the log. The current common problem is the server giving 502 errors and bad responses with a length of 1477.

• Like 1

I think there's something wrong with the servers. I've tried everything in the past ~15 hours, but I'm completely stuck at downloading some file.

Some info from the officials would be nice, imo it's not too much to ask for.

Edited by Rokkis.8901

3 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

What IP address did you use?  The current ones are:

Nome:    origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com
Addresses:  54.160.144.234
here. I COPY and PASTE the secound one (174.129.207.177) to the HOST file like the image - 174.129.207.177 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com)

Edited by Iskras Femme.1693

I came here to see about this exact thing. I had to uninstall and reinstall after the last patch and now it wont reinstall completely at all. always stops at 482,390 files remaining.  this is becoming very annoying. It'll let me play, but will require a wait time to load any zone when moving around maps.

P.S. I know most PC gamers are fluent in software tech stuff. I am not. Do I really need to be to run a game that has an entire development team to make sure it runs like it is supposed to?

Edited by Efaicia.3672
  • Thanks 1

Wife and I finally decided to return to this game. Left it downloading while I did yardwork. Came back to find both our systems stuck with the downloader not transferring anything at around 25%. 

I did the redirect to the other server to get it downloading... slowly. I'm seeing if this works before I do the same for her but... is this for real? How many people are buying this game and then encountering this? We can't pretend that people are tech saavy. Not all PC Gamers are.  This is discouraging because its not just getting past this progress bar but also that this seems to be an issue with no response or solution in site. Enough gaming companies and brands are hitting gamers with First Impressions of Unplayability like this. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Gunra.8436 said:

I did the redirect to the other server to get it downloading... slowly. I'm seeing if this works before I do the same for her but... is this for real? How many people are buying this game and then encountering this? We can't pretend that people are tech saavy. Not all PC Gamers are.  This is discouraging because its not just getting past this progress bar but also that this seems to be an issue with no response or solution in site. Enough gaming companies and brands are hitting gamers with First Impressions of Unplayability like this. 

Downloading from the primary server will be slower than from the mirrors, but should be reliable.

Agree with you on the rest.

2 hours ago, Rokkis.8901 said:

I think there's something wrong with the servers. I've tried everything in the past ~15 hours, but I'm completely stuck at downloading some file.

Some info from the officials would be nice, imo it's not too much to ask for.

From the Knowledge Base:  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/16302216594963-Download-Stuck-Download

2 hours ago, Gunra.8436 said:

Wife and I finally decided to return to this game. Left it downloading while I did yardwork. Came back to find both our systems stuck with the downloader not transferring anything at around 25%. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/16302216594963-Download-Stuck-Download

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Ah, thanks!

Google didn't take me there and I couldn't find that page by myself by browsing the support pages, so completely my mistake.

3 hours ago, lucka.9271 said:

guys it looks like it got fixed. downloading goes pretty well for me.

It's still quite random. Modifying the hosts file to download from primary server works, kinda. I think with that workaround the problems arise when the prime time hits and there's a lot of people trying to connect there. Other servers work partially fine, but they seem to have parts of their caches completely broken getting you stuck or having a very slow dl  for certain files.

Edited by Rokkis.8901

48 minutes ago, Rokkis.8901 said:

Ah, thanks!

Google didn't take me there and I couldn't find that page by myself by browsing the support pages, so completely my mistake.

It's still quite random. Modifying the hosts file to download from primary server works, kinda. I think with that workaround the problems arise when the prime time hits and there's a lot of people trying to connect there. Other servers work partially fine, but they seem to have parts of their caches completely broken getting you stuck or having a very slow dl  for certain files.

Also, from News and Announcements: 

• Like 1

hi im now currently down loading guild wars 2 from Steam 

and there was a 2nd download which  seem to be taking forever  😞

after watching a youtube video i was able to port over my old gw2 account ,happy days if i get the download done some time this weekend , but steam was faster at the start after i tried the ports an copy an paste  on  Friday evening 

thank you everyone here on the forums for posting all the great ideas 

but shouldn't there be a dev post like dare i say this blizzard  their competition ?

maybe the download page needs a ios file or they ask another company how to download all the files faster and then compress the files from 70gb to 20gb ? 6 million files is alot  

any how try steam 

if your having issues 

go to gw2 in the library right clik the icon go down the list to properties  click it  then type in 

-portal Provider 

all on youtube 

and merge your gw2 and presto your avatars and game and looking fresh too 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wajarri.6320 said:

after watching a youtube video i was able to port over my old gw2 account ,happy days if i get the download done some time this weekend , but steam was faster at the start after i tried the ports an copy an paste  on  Friday evening 

but shouldn't there be a dev post like dare i say this blizzard  their competition ?

maybe the download page needs a ios file or they ask another company how to download all the files faster and then compress the files from 70gb to 20gb ? 6 million files is alot  

any how try steam 

if your having issues 

go to gw2 in the library right clik the icon go down the list to properties  click it  then type in 

-portal Provider 

all on youtube 

From 'News and Announcements': 

4 hours ago, wajarri.6320 said:

any how try steam 

if your having issues 

-portal Provider 

all on youtube 

This seems to be working for me. Traditionally played through the native launcher but recently bought a new PC and returning but just can't get the download to work. Just downloaded GW2 via Steam and set the launch option to -provider Portal , opended the launcher through Steam which seems to have kick started the download in the launcher. Fingers crossed it'll continue as its powering through it currently, 15% in under 5 mins.

UPDATE: Hit 18%, just shy of playable, and has now dropped to 0-2kb/sec... Annoying to say the least.

Edited by Murphishly.7964

I also have issues downloading the game on my laptop. I have updated hosts file and added `-Portal`, but the download is rather slow compared to anything else.

Would the Guild War 2's data file be something that could be uploaded and shared with others? Does it contain sensitive information itself? At least it could work as a seed for the download client.

6 minutes ago, jussi.8139 said:

Would the Guild War 2's data file be something that could be uploaded and shared with others? Does it contain sensitive information itself? At least it could work as a seed for the download client.

You CAN copy the entire data file between computers (I wouldn't trust just anyone on the internet though).  The patcher doesn't because it doesn't want to download the entire game every time a patch is released.  It only wants to update your dat file with the changes. The patcher downloads many many many individual files and then patches and compresses them into the large dat file.  That's the main reason for slowness.  Has nothing to do with your network speed.

3 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You CAN copy the entire data file between computers (I wouldn't trust just anyone on the internet though).  The patcher doesn't because it doesn't want to download the entire game every time a patch is released.  It only wants to update your dat file with the changes. The patcher downloads many many many individual files and then patches and compresses them into the large dat file.  That's the main reason for slowness.  Has nothing to do with your network speed.

Yea, I understand it downloads many individual files and how patchers work that it doesn't not have anything to do with my network speed. It's been 0 KB/sec for four hours now and downloaded only a few megabytes.

Thought I could copy the dat file to my Backblaze B2 and share it here through my CDN, but as you mentioned, perhaps it contains some sensitive information and isn't wise to share with others.

Just now, jussi.8139 said:

Thought I could copy the dat file to my Backblaze B2 and share it here through my CDN, but as you mentioned, perhaps it contains some sensitive information and isn't wise to share with others.

I don't think it contains sensitive information.  I just wouldn't trust that someone didn't insert a backdoor.

I copy the entire GW2 directory between computers myself.  xD

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

I don't think it contains sensitive information.  I just wouldn't trust that someone didn't insert a backdoor.

I copy the entire GW2 directory between computers myself.  xD

That's a very fair point, would be nice if ANet could provide us a "seed file" as a temporary solution so the patcher would not have to do that big initial download, it could download only patches after the .dat-file was dumped.

• Like 1