GW2 Installer stops download randomly and for good [Merged]

2 hours ago, SlightlyAmused.2654 said:

My god this is embarrassing. For a game that is attempting to gain a larger audience you would think this would be the LAST issue they would be having. Its been two days and I can only download 2% at a time before it stops.  

11 minutes ago, Sinclair.4875 said:

Yep I have the issue as well, starts off at around 10mb then goes to 0kb within 10 mins and the fix doesn't seem to help all that much. I'm honestly stunned that this is a common issue...

Did you follow the easy step by step process that Healix.5819 posted earlier it have helped me and many more before.

https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK

I just tried that thing with the command prompt but all I got was:

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Hi all

Same issue for me. Brand new PC, was looking forward to playing. Been a long time player, nothing seems to be working. I"m astounded, as others have said, that they can't seem to sort this issue. Players would be none the wiser, unless they had to install/reinstall the game for whatever reason. I also, during one of my many attempts, logged in at the play ready point. Game was beautiful, except for the one fact, installation isn't complete. I can see many players leaving because of this. Lets hope for a solution soon

On 5/7/2023 at 6:12 AM, Vatrushka.3971 said:

ok at least I'm not alone, it's comforting 

Yep that's how I feel. Quite often when we search forums for issues, you can see how old some of the posts are. Knowing this issue is still current, and happening to lots of players, at least gives some comfort. Misery loves company as they say 😛

Count me in as another person trying to install the game on a new computer. Multiple attempts have failed. Either stop at 7 or 11%. Been playing this game...for what 8years? I have installed it on other computers before with no problem. I have friends who want me to switch to another game. Maybe I should listen. I really like Guild Wars2, but if I can't download it, I can't play it, and it's kitten frustrating to keep trying to install it without success. 

• ArenaNet Staff

Sorry for the trouble.  We have some kind of network congestion error that causes some of the 670,000 files we download to return an error that stops the download.  The bad file gets cached in our Content Delivery Network.  We're running downloads on our own and finding these files and flushing them from the cache.  As best as I can tell it's much more reliable today than yesterday, which was pretty tough, but you could run into one of these files anytime.  We continue to look for the root cause so we can fix it permanently.

Edited by Stephen ClarkeWillson.1802
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, Stephen ClarkeWillson.1802 said:

Sorry for the trouble.  We have some kind of network congestion error that causes some of the 670,000 files we download to return an error that stops the download.  The bad file gets cached in our Content Delivery Network.  We're running downloads on our own and finding these files and flushing them from the cache.  As best as I can tell it's much more reliable today than yesterday, which was pretty tough, but you could run into one of these files anytime.  We continue to look for the root cause so we can fix it permanently.

I really wish that someone from the ArenaNet Staff would have informed us sooner. That being said, thanks for informing us.

You could download the game through steam, then restart the launcher through the remaining 200k files guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slackoth.2108 said:

I really wish that someone from the ArenaNet Staff would have informed us sooner. That being said, thanks for informing us.

You could download the game through steam, then restart the launcher through the remaining 200k files guys.

Well, it was in 'News and Announcements', as well as in 'Known Issues' in the Knowledge Base.  🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Starfyre.5743 said:

I just tried that thing with the command prompt but all I got was:

You can't connect to Google's DNS. Remove the 8.8.8.8 to use your default DNS, or try 1.1.1.1 instead.

The IP is currently 174.129.207.177 or 54.160.144.234

31 minutes ago, Starfyre.5743 said:

How do you do it through Steam? Do you have to move the files anywhere else though?

Steam is only if you need to download the full game, as they get to start with an old copy of GW2. All further patches to it are through ArenaNet, so it'd have the same problem if you're stuck on a recent patch.

If you download it through Steam, you can simply move Gw2.dat from Steam's GW2 location to your original, or launch Gw2-64.exe from there, or add "-provider Portal" to Steam's launch options and just continue using Steam. If you move it, don't uninstall it from Steam, as that will also delete your original, so if you want to uninstall, move the original first without running GW2, then you can move it back after.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:30 PM, Casskade.7152 said:

I'm still having issues here... got it down to 12,150 files remaining after a good run, but now it's stopped again 😂

Edit - Closed the client, reopened and it started working again - all downloaded! wooo! 🥳🎉

Hiya Sorry a bit confused. When you say closed the client, do you mean literally close it down? Because if you do that you lose the download and have to start over. Or do you mean minimize and restore repeatedly

10 hours ago, Sylvarose.6851 said:

Count me in as another person trying to install the game on a new computer. Multiple attempts have failed. Either stop at 7 or 11%. Been playing this game...for what 8years? I have installed it on other computers before with no problem. I have friends who want me to switch to another game. Maybe I should listen. I really like Guild Wars2, but if I can't download it, I can't play it, and it's kitten frustrating to keep trying to install it without success. 

Yeah it most definitely is 😞 The most I've gotten to is 49%

34 minutes ago, Mia.6043 said:

Hiya Sorry a bit confused. When you say closed the client, do you mean literally close it down? Because if you do that you lose the download and have to start over. Or do you mean minimize and restore repeatedly

You don't lose any of the downloaded files when closing the launcher.  The counter will reset to '0', but if you pay attention to the remaining files to download, they will decrease each time.  The counter only indicates what percentage of files to be downloaded each session the launcher is opened. 

I am here to vent as I tried all the options that said "worked" for people. Thought this would be a nice time to play something as it had fantastic reviews online recently. None of the reviewers mentioned this nonsense. So I deleted it and decided never to come back to it again.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, king drakito.1509 said:

I am here to vent as I tried all the options that said "worked" for people. Thought this would be a nice time to play something as it had fantastic reviews online recently. None of the reviewers mentioned this nonsense. So I deleted it and decided never to come back to it again.

While I insist GW2 is a wonderful game, I have to admit that this is getting a little embarrassing. It's been a week with no fix in sight, and it's not like the installer is just slow. It's straight up broken.

I also had the bad luck of recommending a friend to try GW2 out literally the day before the patch-that-broke-everything hit, and during the 5 days of dealing with the broken installer, he got into FFXIV instead lol.

Still, I hope you come back eventually and give GW2 a shot under better circumstances.

Edited by bluecheeseplate.2753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Stephen ClarkeWillson.1802 said:

Hi, thanks for letting us know what's happening. It makes a bit of sense now. One bad file, even in cache, can stop an entire sequence.

670k files is  a lot to debug, let the team know they have my sympathies :classic_unsure: 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

No, you are not loosing download progress when you close and restart the launcher. It starts from 0% again, but it's 0% of what is still to be downloaded and not 0% of the total size. Check the number of files missing and/or the size of the "gw2.dat" on disk.

Hiya thanks so much for the reply. Yep I've discovered that..I'm doing it by logging in at playable stage..I log in and out play a bit do my dailies, and it gets higher and faster each time It restarts. Maybe there is hope 🙂 thanks

Hi all, wanted to update on my experience with this download issue. I followed what a few have done, and closed and restarted, closed and restarted. I find what worked for me, is I logged in at playable, changed maps, did home instance, flew around etc etc. When I logged back out client would load a bit quicker each time. It finally FINALLY made 100%. However now when I load the client to play, I hit log in, and even though it has gone from 100% down to zero, the play button is there and I can play as normal. I feel the log in client is pretty broken at the moment.

But as I can log in and play I'm happy. Anet can deal with this and sort the issue. It's frustrating and unfair it's gone on this long. So people try to log in at playable, or close and start as others have suggested. If you see 100 completion, it might not say that again when you relaunch, but you should still be able to play. Weird, I can't explain it, but It's allowing me to play

Good luck everyone

• Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff

We believe we've found (and fixed) the root cause of the game download issue. We have identified the mechanism that was causing corrupt files to be stored in our Content Delivery Network (CDN). That *should* mean that this problem is resolved. We're keeping an eye on it, but we think we're in the clear. Some of the edge servers for our CDN may have their own unique errors—we’ll only be able to fix those after we learn about them.

For most players, there is no action to take for this to work—next time you open the launcher and start downloading files, it should work.

For some players who modified their hosts file to work around the problem, our fix will have made it impossible to log in. This should only apply to players who specifically opened and modified their %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (so if that sounds unfamiliar to you, you probably didn't do it). If you did modify your hosts file, you'll need to undo that change in order to continue logging in and playing the game. Once you've backed out any change you made, you should be able to download and play as expected.

If, after modifying your hosts file to remove the change, you still get an error, we'd like to ask that you run the game with the "-log" argument to get a log for CS and our engineers to review. To do so:

1. Open your Guild Wars 2 folder.
  2. Right-click on GW2.exe and select Create Shortcut.
  3. Right-click on GW2.exe - Shortcut and select Rename.
  4. Rename the shortcut to Guild Wars 2 Logging.
  5. Right-click on Guild Wars 2 Logging and select Properties.
  6. Locate the Target line and add -log after the existing text. Your target line should now look something like this: C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\GW2.exe -log
  7. Click OK to save your changes.
  8. Run the launcher, experience the download problem, and close the launcher again.
  9. Open an Explorer window.
  10. In the nav bar, type %appdata% and press Enter.
  11. You will now be in the AppData\Roaming folder
  12. Open the Guild Wars 2 folder.
  13. Find the gw2.log text document.

...then you'll want to submit a Tech Support ticket with everything you know about the problem. Within a few minutes, you'll receive an automated response email from support@guildwars2.com via zendesk.com; you can reply to that with your log file.

Again, these steps are for folks who modified their hosts client and are still getting an error.

We appreciate everyone's patience as we dug into this and got a fix in place.

Edited by Branded Employee.5397
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1