When I'm dead the world looks better. I want to keep that.

Lucy.3728

Today I lay dead in the stonemist fortress (wvw) and watched how all 3 servers fight it out and I noticed how clearly everything is visible. Otherwise, I have problems in such a turmoil to keep track due to all the brightly colored effects and colorful environment. But when you are dead, all colors are dimmed except the important ones.

Can I somehow set this as default when I'm alive? In the GW settings there are some graphics options, even gamma, but not something like reduce saturation for backgrounds and effects.

Is it possible to realize this with the settings of the graphics card (AMD Radeon)? Does anyone know?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 4

The bloom effect is tied to post processing so I recommend turning it off for now, but they did promise these will be separated as Dx11 is finalized. Also see about adjusting your monitor's settings since most monitors are too bright on the default factory settings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

hrm a gw2 Enhanced Natural Beauty mod?  Folks have been making ENBs for the elder scrolls games for decades.

Hm, didn't think of third party textures. GW1 had such a third party tool too but not for desaturating.

It would only need to apply to 4 wvw maps.

13 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

how would that be different from lowering the saturation on your monitor?

I don't know how to explain this. The monitor would affect everything, not just the background and effects. The names and tags/commanders were still in full color. I could tell the important things from the unimportant things much better, just like the background is rather unimportant in WVW.

Today I had another run like that in sm, all three servers were fighting over it on all three levels, in the commotion I couldn't keep track of my commander even if I targeted him personally (with the personal tag) in addition to his commander tag.

It was all multiple chaotic, garish explosions of color everywhere. But when you're dead, it's much better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

The bloom effect is tied to post processing so I recommend turning it off for now, but they did promise these will be separated as Dx11 is finalized. Also see about adjusting your monitor's settings since most monitors are too bright on the default factory settings.

Especially if you play in a dark room that some people seem to like to do. I notice this not from my monitor but from my mouse because it has a glowing logo that can't be turned off. 😕

It is fine during the day with sunlight in the room but as it gets later in the day it becomes a problem with the lights off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Especially if you play in a dark room that some people seem to like to do. I notice this not from my monitor but from my mouse because it has a glowing logo that can't be turned off. 😕

It is fine during the day with sunlight in the room but as it gets later in the day it becomes a problem with the lights off.

Indeed. I don't use the ceiling light because I hate reflections on my screen, but I do have a desk lamp behind my monitor pointing bit downwards to the wall. This balances the background light level with screen's brightness to reduce eyestrain.

The simple solution to is to play an Ele...

No...? 😉

While you don't have support it in game, you could perhaps try running Reshade with your GW2 installation, I'm sure there are presets there to give you visual settings to look like this. I know it has presets like sepia tones and black&white, etc. and it is absolutely possible to create a preset to your liking there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:53 AM, Jukhy.2431 said:

The bloom effect is tied to post processing so I recommend turning it off for now

I saw a difference, but it was only marginal.

Today I lost track twice and died because of it. There were so many fields and effect explosions, I can't see anything anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I don't get it.

How is playing another class changing the graphics?

The joke is that if someone plays elementalist they're constantly dying. It's a pretty stupid meme-ish joke, so no wonder you didn't understand, no worries 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 4/11/2023 at 4:32 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

Today I lay dead in the stonemist fortress (wvw) and watched how all 3 servers fight it out and I noticed how clearly everything is visible. Otherwise, I have problems in such a turmoil to keep track due to all the brightly colored effects and colorful environment. But when you are dead, all colors are dimmed except the important ones.

Can I somehow set this as default when I'm alive? In the GW settings there are some graphics options, even gamma, but not something like reduce saturation for backgrounds and effects.

Is it possible to realize this with the settings of the graphics card (AMD Radeon)? Does anyone know?

I can help you with that. Come over here so I can make you dead

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I don't get it.

How is playing another class changing the graphics?

There’s a long running joke about “downstate ele” that is still around in spite of the fact that Elementalist is currently much stronger than it was when the joke originated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 4/14/2023 at 2:48 PM, Dondarrion.2748 said:

The simple solution to is to play an Ele...

No...? 😉

While you don't have support it in game, you could perhaps try running Reshade with your GW2 installation, I'm sure there are presets there to give you visual settings to look like this. I know it has presets like sepia tones and black&white, etc. and it is absolutely possible to create a preset to your liking there.

The trouble with Reshade is that you can't accurately apply the type of in game masking that's happening in down state.

You can do overall colour balance and grading but it will affect everything where as in game they've muted and desaturated specific effect pipelines rather than everything.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

There’s a long running joke about “downstate ele” that is still around in spite of the fact that Elementalist is currently much stronger than it was when the joke originated.

It's a joke that persists because the skill floor for DPS ele is quite high.  Ele has the lowest armor & lowest HP while being reliant on others for boons + buffs to maximize the potential damage.  It requires knowledge of the encounter, understanding of the rotation, & competent team members to put out good damage.

On 4/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

There's no real method to fix the appearance of this game as such purely through ingame graphical settings without it being an 'all or nothing' sort of deal.  Turning off post processing gets rid of a lot of environmental and other effects while also shutting off bloom. Checking the effect LoD box minimizes how many effects will be present, from your own to even enemy effects.  At least post processing can be worked around via 3rd party tools such as Reshade.

However, my set up for WvW is lowest graphical settings, highest LoD distance, highest player count and animations on medium.  This is still going to have that big cloud of nonsense when there's a 20v20v20 fight going on but you'll be able to see a little better in most cases.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

Turning off post processing gets rid of a lot of environmental and other effects while also shutting off bloom

And it also removes the discolored effect when you are dead. But I kind of like this effect xD

Without postprocessing to the max, the world stays ugly colorful and dying was for nothing.

Can't someone somehow activate this effect as permanent? So that the game thinks you would always be dead.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Lucy.3728 said:

And it also removes the bleak effect when down. But I kinda like that effect xD

Without post processing to the max the world remains all ugly colourful and dying was in vain.

Yeah, it sucks there's just one option for post processing.  I hate it too, but they've recently swapped to Dx11 so maybe we'll get better options in the future that allow us to turn off the big effect nonsense while preserving the look of the world.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

And it also removes the discolored effect when you are dead. But I kind of like this effect xD

Without postprocessing to the max, the world stays ugly colorful and dying was for nothing.

Can't someone somehow activate this effect as permanent? So that the game thinks you would always be dead.

And there it is... Anet's next idea for monetization... coming in a few weeks;

Unending Deathly Tonic - 1200 gems

Colours your screen in near-death tones, sort of like the Aviator Fun Box; which of course will be another Tonic at 1200 gems too.

• Haha 1