Surviving as Ele

Raynn.4391

Trying to swap over to Ele from my Engineer (simply because after watching the nerf bat swing wide and hard at scrapper for years it's become painful). Curious how Elementalists survive in small scale PvP. Granted, I want to run a range Ele, which seems to be totally against the design of the devs (mage power fantasy is apparently to much for them to comprehend), but it seems like I die to everything. 

Just curious what people do in small scale PvP to be a tad bit more hardy so they don't melt instantly to a two on one situation. PvE seems fine. Nothing better than having ample space to kite and range to drop fire/water/air/earth on peeps. 

Looking for the range mentality, which has been primarily filled with scepter/focus build (tried staff but the delays are crippling in fast engagements). Tired on core and tempest currently. Just struggling in general in small scale pvp no matter how I build it out. 

Edited by Raynn.4391
  • Confused 1

focus while attuned to earth, Earth shield and gap openers. Are usually your friends to avoid getting insta gibbed.

Or you play sword weaver it has a shitload of i frames, but that’s a  melee spec and hard to pull of but can be very nasty if you avoid the crucial skills of your opponents.

As tempest earth overloading also comes in quite handy for surviving.

As cata earth and water jade sphere add to your sustain. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Raynn.4391 said:

Trying to swap over to Ele from my Engineer (simply because after watching the nerf bat swing wide and hard at scrapper for years it's become painful).

As long as you invest yourself in any profession you are bound to get this feeling that you describe.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

As long as you invest yourself in any profession you are bound to get this feeling that you describe.

Well, I like holo for PvE and just to mix it up a bit, occasionally, in PvP. But scrapper has always resonated with me for some reason. I think it's a combination of the style (I'm a sucker for 'a tool for every situation' characters) and the movement utility it brings. 

I'm still working on unlocking mech, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy that one. From the outside looking in, it seems really cheesy to me, but maybe it will be better than I predict. Ele seemed like a nice transition because it is also a high APM type class and I'm drawn to those. 

12 hours ago, Raynn.4391 said:

Just curious what people do in small scale PvP to be a tad bit more hardy so they don't melt instantly to a two on one situation. PvE seems fine. Nothing better than having ample space to kite and range to drop fire/water/air/earth on peeps. 

Looking for the range mentality, which has been primarily filled with scepter/focus build (tried staff but the delays are crippling in fast engagements). Tired on core and tempest currently. Just struggling in general in small scale pvp no matter how I build it out. 

All depends on your build. Scepter/Focus is your best bet for what you're describing. It's range damage with a good amount of defense

Ele is all about active defenses: responding at the moment to what is attacking you rather than passive defenses like, for example, guardian. So focus Air and Earth skills are your life saver skills. Use them wisely. 

But in most cases for Pvp, you're gonna deal with a lot of burst power damage (Revs, thieves, mesmers, engi's, etc). Your best bet is to stack protection boon either from Aracane trait line or Earth traitline which gives you prot on auras. Bonus points if you can create a build with both. 

Last defense you can add is barrier which is heavily produced by weaver. You can take stone resonance utility skill or trait bolstered elements. If you do take that trait, stack as many stance skills as possible to get even more barrier. Combine weaver and earth traitline and you're golden regarding defenses

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stallic.2397 said:

All depends on your build. Scepter/Focus is your best bet for what you're describing. It's range damage with a good amount of defense

Ele is all about active defenses: responding at the moment to what is attacking you rather than passive defenses like, for example, guardian. So focus Air and Earth skills are your life saver skills. Use them wisely. 

But in most cases for Pvp, you're gonna deal with a lot of burst power damage (Revs, thieves, mesmers, engi's, etc). Your best bet is to stack protection boon either from Aracane trait line or Earth traitline which gives you prot on auras. Bonus points if you can create a build with both. 

Last defense you can add is barrier which is heavily produced by weaver. You can take stone resonance utility skill or trait bolstered elements. If you do take that trait, stack as many stance skills as possible to get even more barrier. Combine weaver and earth traitline and you're golden regarding defenses

Thanks for the advice. Going to give that a try, Thats probably where I'm screwing up the most. Not keeping the def boon rotation constant. It was easier on scrapper because everything played off the superspeed, which almost every ability triggered anyway. 

Will definitely take another swing at it utilizing your tips. 

Edited by Raynn.4391

51 minutes ago, Raynn.4391 said:

Thanks for the advice. Going to give that a try, Thats probably where I'm screwing up the most. Not keeping the def boon rotation constant. It was easier on scrapper because everything played off the superspeed, which almost every ability triggered anyway. 

Will definitely take another swing at it utilizing your tips. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2lNw2YRMImJeyWrvPA-z5IWGlmA9WASPAA

Here's an idea of what you can make with all the defenses you need. Just a build you can play around with. You can take the amulet demolisher instead if you're feeling very bold. It'll grant you toughness instead of vitality. 

Remember, your elite gives you 20% damage reduction. Stuns in earth grant protection. Going into Earth grants Stab, Prot and barrier. And if you spam your heal skill, you'll stay above 75% health which will grant you condi immunity. 

This is weaver though. Prob the most complicated of all elites for Ele. If you get used to the rotation, it plays itself. 

Edited by Stallic.2397
  • Like 1

Earth attunement, stone heart, carrion amulet, any rune with +10% health. I use divinity.

This will certainly lower your DPS in comparison to glass cannon builds, but if you are like me and don't want to be "huh wut?" one-shot, something like this plays better. In the end, Elementalist has great skills, but the lowest health of all professions and only light armor. So you need to adjust to that.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1

in WVW roaming, im currently running fresh air scepter/dagger catalyst. I also have a scepter swap. Depending on the enemy and their numbers, I swap off hand weapons. I default with the dagger for the extra mobility, if I have to switch o the focus, I disengage until i get OOC, then swap to focus. 

For PvP, I just use scepter/focus. I think there are 3 main things you need to get down to survive as fresh air cata:
1. Position well, and never stay in melee range against a melee enemy. With constant access to superspeed, you're very mobile. Elementalist defenses is not reactive. You dont have big heals, so you have to avoid damage, and positioning well is the best way to avoid damage. That said though,

2. Use defensive cooldowns well. air and earth focus are great defensive spells, as well as the earth cata skill that makes you invincible, but they have long cooldowns. So don't panic use them. This also applies for dodge rolls. Finally,

3. Always be casting something. Using the signet heal, you really gain a lot from spamming your spells. Also, constantly making self combos to get air and earth auras go a long way to extending your life.

7 hours ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

Aren't we meant to be OP though? Asking for a friend who asked for a friend, who then became an enemy, but the enemy of an enemy is my friend - as convoluted as a Weaver rotation and entirely off topic.

imagine changing classes because of nerfs and landing on ele 🤣

• Haha 4