In rememberance of a idea that would change WvW forever.

Zikory.6871

Ah yes, that novel idea they had in 2018, I remember it well 😏

"Some major systems in place are currently not as robust as they can be /.../ We have seen that matchups are not as dynamic as we would like them to be. While it is important to have matchups that don't feel wildly imbalanced, it is also good to have some variety in the servers that are matched up against each other, so all get a chance to compete."

- Devon Carver - ArenaNet WvW director - The future of World vs. World (devblog) june 05, 2013

"Later in 2014, we will roll this system out to the entire game. Before the end of the year, we will make updates to WvW and Guilds to reflect the state of the game with World Restructuring in mind".

- Colin Johanson - ArenaNet director - The Megaserver, Guilds and The Future (devblog) april 03, 2014

"But the reality is we need the bulk of our own internal engineers (coders!) to continue to focus on stuff like our major WvW overhaul right now we've been working on for over a year that's much higher priority for the game over-all."

- Colin Johanson - ArenaNet director - Reddit - november 25, 2015

"We are currently working on a large-scale overhaul to WvW that helps deal with core issues like population balance, scoring, rewards and the need for 24-hour coverage. We have focused a heavy amount of developer resources on this overhaul for WvW and the team has been working hard for over a year now to solve these complicated issues".

- Colin Johanson - ArenaNet director - WvW's Big Update (devblog) january 12, 2016

"The WvW team's current top priority is fixing population imbalance. It's a really hard technical problem. It has taken us a long time to ship a solution, so it's been a long time since we've shipped significant updates, and of course that hurts. Currently, we're clearing the log-jam by making sure we can roll-out incremental updates to the Live servers."

- Mike O'Brien - ArenaNet CEO - Reddit - march 05, 2016

"As an elaborate solution it would take quite a few words to effectively detail it, but the short version would be: We blow up and completely reform servers quarterly with alot of additional rules governing the formation of worlds (dynamic number of worlds, keeping guild members together...)".

- Tyler Bearce - ArenaNet WvW team design lead - Old Forums: Relink Announcement thread - may 25, 2016

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Also, in case you ever wondered what happened to the WvW directors and team leads, well, it looks like they got moved to LWS before leaving (and the studio felt it best done silently to not cause a ruckus), as, you know, ArenaNet has a tendency to "previous studio leadership deprioritized the project shortly after it was announced". I remember pointing out back then that this wasn't any new behaviour from the studio and that it wouldn't be the last we see of it either.

Devon | Tyler

Clearly, the project is "deprioritized" again, silently🐍.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, MarzAttakz.9608 said:

And people wonder why those of us around since Beta don't believe a word they say

It's not so much believing or not than it is making a choice in how one wants to react to it.

Edited by Chaba.5410

8 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

It's not so much believing or not than it is making a choice in how one wants to react to it.

It also says something about the nature of WvW, as I've seen eg., Butterfly's recent post crossposted to most server discords, each with thousands of users, both still in the game and having left it, and it mostly just receives sadge and feelsbad emotes. No one really wants to drive opinion, that's regarded as cringy as enjoying conversation on the forums, yet at the same time, while the studio tends to keep appearances up, it has also proven that it cares about appearances and that has been the way to affect change in the past. At least with regards to communication.

I'm not different to anyone else in that regard, I resign myself to sharing information with younger players here, but it does say something about how fractured and disenfrenchized this community has always been and remains with its servers and in how we act. We're demonstrably not parisian 😶.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

It also says something about the nature of WvW, as I've seen eg., Butterfly's recent post crossposted to most server discords, each with thousands of users, both still in the game and having left it, and it mostly just receives sadge and feelsbad emotes. No one really wants to drive opinion, that's regarded as cringy as enjoying conversation on the forums, yet at the same time, while the studio tends to keep appearances up, it has also proven that it cares about appearances and that has been the way to affect change in the past. At least with regards to communication.

I'm not different to anyone else in that regard, I resign myself to sharing information with younger players here, but it does say something about how fractured and disenfrenchized this community has always been and remains with its servers and in how we act. We're demonstrably not parisian 😶.

so whats the solution

We must bear in mind that here in the forum, the players who participate are often passionate, very involved. So they tend to write and indicate with a certain passion that sometimes (often) goes beyond its context. This is a game. A great game. It works great with all its big and small problems. I guess for Anet this is a maintenance mode game. As long as the flows work well, they don't see any change necessary.

Many of us go online every night, so we realize each one in his own way, what could make this mode more fun or more engaging. So he comes here on the forum to put his passionate contribution. I myself have often read many really interesting suggestions and many others not. for what is my way of interpreting this beautiful mode.

What has been missing, or at least what I personally lacked, is that when I entered this forum, I was expecting some sort of confrontation with that deals with this ''maintenance mode''. someone who makes you understand what can and cannot be taken into account. What is and what is not a problem in the eyes of the administrator of this game mode. A sort of open, cordial and constructive dialogue, capable of giving many answers to this community.

Which doesn't necessarily lead us to achieve anything. just have some answers. Better understand what ''maintenance'' means for Anet. nothing more. But I was probably wrong.

Yet they are right here with us, constantly, so much so that you will see close or block a topic on this forum , punctually in a few hours, if it goes outside the established rules. Not having an open dialogue, it seems to be a stance, a choice. There is no will to have any sort of open dial. almost like an order coming from above. and silences any guy involved in development. simply because it is not authorized to do so.

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 1