Need build help.

Jordmil.7239

I have 3 main professions - ranger, guardian and necro. I am back from about a year break from playing all the time and struggling to find something that feels strong for PvE, the build I have been running is for WvW roaming, from when I made my last leggy, aand isnt great for PvE play. I like running reaper but am open to the other specs. I often like condi but know reaper isnt the best condi option, and I made a leggy axe specifically for my necro so id like to keep that in my rotation. Please help. All the meta builds I am finding online don't have axe on basically any of them for PvE or fractals ones (I read that fractals builds are good in open world too).

[&DQgTLjInIjbBEsESbwH6AHcBvQGAAPUAAxMDEwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

To be honest:

Play condi scourge or harbinger (condi or celestial) for open world PvE. 

But neither of them uses axe.

Fractal builds aren't particularly good for open world, since they have dedicated roles. 

Sadly axe isn't in a good spot in PvE.

You normally only press axe 2 for dmg and then swap to greatsword for dps reasons.

That being said:

There are builds that let you stay in shroud very long. So theoretically you could even run staff + axe/warhorn.

But I wouldn't recommend it.

In my opinion, reaper isn't a good open world spec anymore. There simply are better options. Scourge with great utility, harbinger with pretty good boon access.

Reaper is one of those specs, that can't play the same traits in solo open world and in group content.

For example:

Solo you might want to run the dread trait (spite traitline) for extra quickness and fury, or decimate defenses (reaper traitline), to get your critchance up.

In group content that's basically useless, because there normally are dedicated roles, that generate those boons for you.

In groups you'd run close to death (spite) and soul eater in reaper instead for extra dmg modifiers.

Edited by Nimon.7840

I am playing Harbinger for open with TB gear, aka Hizen's build and stuff just melts. No really, it does, leaves a lil pool of sticky goo where once a mob or boss, its fun as!! And you can jump right into WvW as well.....so cool! Not surre about the pistol toting Lord of the Dead kind of vibe but meh, I run with it.  😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

I am playing Harbinger for open with TB gear, aka Hizen's build and stuff just melts. No really, it does, leaves a lil pool of sticky goo where once a mob or boss, its fun as!! And you can jump right into WvW as well.....so cool! Not surre about the pistol toting Lord of the Dead kind of vibe but meh, I run with it.  😉

I ran celestial for a very long time, but nowadays also run something close to Lord hizen's build.

It ramps up a bit slower, but imo the sustain is better.

Was something like full trailblazer with rune of aristocracy, a sigill for might generation and parasitic contagion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nimon.7840 said:

Was something like full trailblazer with rune of aristocracy, a sigill for might generation and parasitic contagion.

yup, thats the build! And its great, for open stuffs. Now raids a different setup for sure but yea Im having fun with it. And Harb can just jump into WvW as well, very handy.