Unable to minimize game or switch to another task unless another window is already open before starting GW2 (since latest patch) [Merged]

So before today's patch, I was already using the DX11 renderer on my Windows 10 PC. I am not running any overlays or add-ons. 

If I didn't already have another application open before launching GW2, I wasn't able to use Alt+Tab to minimize the game. But I was able to hit the Windows key to bring up the Start menu and access the Windows taskbar, from where I could launch, say, a browser window. As long as I don't close the window, Alt+Tab works as expected from there.

After today's update, the Windows key no longer functions while in game, and Alt+Tab still doesn't work if GW2 is the only active application. So if I forget to open, say, a browser window before launching the game, I have no way access my Windows taskbar or minimize GW2.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, as stated in my post, that no longer works. I can't even do Win + R to bring up the Run dialog.

So far, the workaround I've found is Ctrl + Alt + Del and launching the Run dialog from the Task Manager. I also suspect that /wiki would work and is an easier option, but I haven't tried it yet. Anyway, it's still a problem even if I find workarounds. Alt + Tab and the Win key should work like they do in other full-screen apps on my PC.

Edited by Kyuss.6481
  • Sad 1

If your Windows key is functionally disabled, you probably have software that disables it while a game is active, but that should have also applied to DX9. Ctrl+Esc can alternatively be used to open the start menu.

To minimize GW2, open the menu (top left gear or press esc) to reveal the minimize button (top right).

• Like 1

Hi

Bug or not I’m not sure.

Since update Tuesday, April 18th, I can’t switch from game to windows (using ALT-TAB).  The game remains on the screen just the toolbar windows appears at the bottom.  If I want to access files on my screen or whatever I can’t.  I have to click on right bottom corner to access my regular windows screen. 

Did an intricate JP the other day and it was pure pain switching back and forth from game to Youtube. Having to do all those extra steps was extremely annoying and LOOOOOng. 😤

I had it as Fullscreen, tried Windows Fullscreen then Windows and it does nothing.  Please put it back the way it was.

Also, looking for info on my problem,  I noticed that the access/link to Forum and Support are no longer available from the regular GW2 wiki page.  Had to google GW2 forum to find it.   ????? 

tks

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Unable to minimize game or switch to another task unless another window is already open before starting GW2 (since latest patch) [Merged]
8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Links for 'Forum' and 'Support' are available on my Wiki (with Firefox).

Alt-Tab works for me as long as another window is in background (been this way since DX11 was implemented). 

I looked fore similar topic didn't find a thing.  😋  With that tittle how can I?  😅

I use firefox too and they are gone from the top.  Strange. 

9 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Alt-Tab works for me as long as another window is in background (been this way since DX11 was implemented). 

Same thing for me and when i forgot to do that then i use /wiki to open up another window. I have to do this for a long time now (at least 1 year), so i don't think its related to the April patch (but related to DX11 is possible)...

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:59 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Exactly.  Ever since DX11 was first implemented as a choice.

Think that's when the choice was taken away.  Which I learned after my post.  I Vaguely remember problems with it so I guess I turned it off and forgot about it. 😋