Give us true full screen for DX11 or return the DX9 option.

Since the new update the game is unplayable. Saturated, with letters that aren't crisp at all. It gives me a headache. I thought I had a setting wrong but from this thread I understand this is the way it is. Well, then it's simple. I'm going to look for a new game, a new hobby or nice books to fill in all the time I have available from now on. One thing is certain, the way the game is now I can't play it. 

Edited by etienne.1039
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, etienne.1039 said:

Since the new update the game is unplayable. Saturated, with letters that aren't crisp at all. It gives me a headache. I thought I had a setting wrong but from this thread I understand this is the way it is. Well, then it's simple. I'm going to look for a new game, a new hobby or nice books to fill in all the time I have available from now on. One thing is certain, the way the game is now I can't play it. 

Same here. 100 % agree. Sad.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, etienne.1039 said:

Use -dx9 command line argument.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, etienne.1039 said:

Exactly the UI itself looks saturated horribly.  It is also messing with my eyes the colors of the fonts and skill icons totally saturated. Not matter how I tweek gamma and every setting.  Its awful

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Karmiel.1065 said:

Exactly the UI itself looks saturated horribly.  It is also messing with my eyes the colors of the fonts and skill icons totally saturated. Not matter how I tweek gamma and every setting.  Its awful

Are those of you having issues using any sort of third-party post-processing like Reshade or Freestyle?

• Confused 2

ANet is using BGFX for DX11. They published a news where they explained this a few months ago. I am not sure how it exacty works but in fact exclusive fullscreen works like borderless window. It makes no difference what you select in the options menu.

What I do not experience is the corrupted visuals people mention in this thread. DX11 looks pretty much the same as DX9 did before. If I had to guess I would also say that this is either a driver issue or people use some kind of injector/3rd party program that is incompatible with the game in its latest release.

BGFX:

Overview — bgfx 1.118.8367 documentation (bkaradzic.github.io)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found a post with a great advice to solve the graphic issues. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/130128-have-played-the-game-since-launch-until-april-18/?do=findComment&comment=1886591

For me this works great. I added these options  and everything looks beautiful like before.

In addition, my Windows key now works again ingame, so that I can for example call up a guide in my browser directly from the game, like before the last update.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mango.1845 said:

I found a post with a great advice to solve the graphic issues. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/130128-have-played-the-game-since-launch-until-april-18/?do=findComment&comment=1886591

For me this works great. I added these options  and everything looks beautiful like before.

In addition, my Windows key now works again ingame, so that I can for example call up a guide in my browser directly from the game, like before the last update.

Workarounds are nice and all, but Arenanet needs work on an official fix for the visual and QoL downgrades that came with the unwanted and hated, forced transition to dx11.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The oversaturation is a result of the rendering code working somewhat differently in DirectX 11 than it did in DX9, something they're working on rewriting as stated by a developer during the color keying incident (which was quickly reverted a day later). As it was said during this time we'd likely get changes such as postprocessing options being split up, its clear this hasn't been rolled out yet.

A temporary work around is to simply turn the saturation down using ReShade or vkBasalt or by simply creating a profile for the game in your GPU settings.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

You're not going to get exclusive fullscreen support. While it would still work on Windows 7, it was removed from Windows 10 and on all operating systems most modern cards can't even change resolutions. (The resolutions you see in the settings menus are usually fake.)

Most of the hardware/software graphics pipeline has been homogenised these days.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

On 4/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

You're not going to get exclusive fullscreen support. While it would still work on Windows 7, it was removed from Windows 10 and on all operating systems most modern cards can't even change resolutions. (The resolutions you see in the settings menus are usually fake.)

Most of the hardware/software graphics pipeline has been homogenised these days.

This is not true. Exclusive Fullscreen does still exist up to Win11 and DX12.

Microsoft's Fullscreen Optimisations just force DWM when you select it, but the game and your graphics driver still think it's Exclusive Fullscren, which is important as a lot of settings ingame and in the graphics driver do only work in Exclusive Fullscreen - e.g. Downsampling or Integer Scaling, both which are very usefull settings for GW2, which still lacks an acceptable Anti Aliasing option for high end GPUs. And at the lower end of the performance spectrum people with a weak GPU but a high res display now have to deal with blurry upscaling in borderless window mode.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2023 at 10:25 AM, KrHome.1920 said:

This is not true. Exclusive Fullscreen does still exist up to Win11 and DX12.

Microsoft's Fullscreen Optimisations just force DWM when you select it, but the game and your graphics driver still think it's Exclusive Fullscren, which is important as a lot of settings ingame and in the graphics driver do only work in Exclusive Fullscreen - e.g. Downsampling or Integer Scaling, both which are very usefull settings for GW2, which still lacks an acceptable Anti Aliasing option for high end GPUs. And at the lower end of the performance spectrum people with a weak GPU but a high res display now have to deal with blurry upscaling in borderless window mode.

Is there ANY way how to force game to run in exclusive fullscreen? Game looks too blurry in windowed fullscreen for like a year, pretty much since I got new pc so I played in fullscreen, even until now but I forced game to run in dx9 but it seems like a waste, I want to play in dx11 too....besides, game doesnt work in dx9 after todays patch for some reason so that pretty much made game unplayable for me. Anet should really fix it or let us play in exclusive fullscreen. So annoying

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sadly, the update today seemingly ruined the -dx9 band-aid fix.

Arenanet, how about you work towards making the game visually more pleasing, rather than turning it into a pile of overly saturated glossiness coated with far too many particle effects?

Also, not having the option of true full screen is nothing simply awful.

You should aim to make the game more pleasing to play, not less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Use -dx9 command line argument.

5 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

Is there ANY way how to force game to run in exclusive fullscreen? Game looks too blurry in windowed fullscreen for like a year, pretty much since I got new pc so I played in fullscreen, even until now but I forced game to run in dx9 but it seems like a waste, I want to play in dx11 too....besides, game doesnt work in dx9 after todays patch for some reason so that pretty much made game unplayable for me. Anet should really fix it or let us play in exclusive fullscreen. So annoying

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Sadly, the update today seemingly ruined the -dx9 band-aid fix.

Arenanet, how about you work towards making the game visually more pleasing, rather than turning it into a pile of overly saturated glossiness coated with far too many particle effects?

Also, not having the option of true full screen is nothing simply awful.

You should aim to make the game more pleasing to play, not less.

3 hours ago, cosyfiep.9081 said:

with the -dx9 the game crashes, without it the visuals are so blurry and wonky that it is unplayable (and makes me nauseous to play).

Confirming that as of today's crapatch, the -dx9 line line added as an argument to force the game run in dx9 and be at least playable, no longer works.

anet has been making some of the most bonehead decisions lately, and I am talking things on a technical level that just makes the game unplayable, I thought it was just a linux thing, but it seems to me now that there is more to it then just running on an unsupported OS. Apparently even micro$oft and crapple players are also experiencing difficulties with these crapatches as of late. Well, at least I can take solace in the fact that anet is sinking the ship for everyone who doesn't have the latest up-to-date hardware/software of anet's designated choice. Sure makes me feel better about not being able to play this, and I was just beginning to get into it after trying out builds, it is obvious at this point that anet's plans is to keep re-engineering their already heavily modified nearly two decades year old GW1 engine into something of a mock up mess for the sake of unreal engine. Shame, they used to be all about low-end computers, which is what made their old time competitions grow and stay titanically large. Ever since EoD, these continuous tweaks have done nothing but make the game look worse for those who can at least still play and unplayable for others, the most pants on head stupidest fixation they have on taking options away from players who either aren't impressed with their technical direction or simply can't play otherwise has reached a compounding level of unreasonable today by taking away the -dx9 option.

Sick of these catch and mouse games every other two month or three months, it just keeps getting worse and worse I can already tell that their answer to this mess is going to simply be yet another cash shop skin.

PS:

Yes, I am playing in an admittedly rather old kernel, point is that it used to be possible to play with little to no problems and one could be content with that, well those days seem to be all but over now.

5 hours ago, thesavo.1435 said:

i cant launch the game the same like in april

Same here, at the end of around march, right when they had the lion statuette even going they decided to pull some BS and it bricked the game on me for months 'till I figured the -dx9 trick. Today, they have gone off the deep end in terms of boneheadedness, straight up evil.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So the -dx9 option causes the game to crash with an error "Assertion: No valid case for switch variable 'grInterface'" and I'm thinking whatever the patch did maybe it was not intentional to break -dx9.

If they intended to remove -dx9 and -usecoherent, then they would have completely removed them and not simply crash out the game.

The concern is that the "fix" for whatever the crash is might be to actually remove/disable them rather than a planned removal.  The error message seems like they removed dx9 as an interface "case" and forgot to disable the command line input.

Edited by Chaba.5410