Severe amount of AFK farmers invading PvP

Just did a ranked game to prevent decay since I am doing WvW this season.

The match I was in had FOUR AFK bot farmers. One just sat in spawn using a suicide build, another two on my team were programmed to run into a corner of the map and randomly spam skills. The other team also had an AFKer.

2 vs 4.

Maybe I just got extremely unlucky, but if ranked has come to this, then the format is now officially dead. Anet needs to  investigate and start banning accounts that do this, also players should not lose rating for matches where multiple players never leave spawn. The auto-detection system for kicking AFKers clearly needs work.

If this is not taken seriously, the game will die.

• Like 7

the problem is, how much effort anet is making to ignore this bots, saturday opened a ticket with a video showing 5 bots in the same match, including the self torment rev (which plays offline) , 72h later the other 4 bots are online.

Like really? I believe banning a player is as easy as banning ppl from your discord, so it wouldn't take 5 min to ban those 5 accounts. But no, i guess just ignore them is like less effort.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Khawzz.9157 said:

it is next the end of the season, so ppl needs keep ranks for titles, so they play with alt accounts to troll. that is it. next.

Not the case, those accounts have played over 500 matches each and are online nearly 24h. They're clearly bots.

• Like 4

Problem is in NA rank is volatile enough that the afk-bots will still get in with higher ranked players.

I am Plat I~II this season and still get these afk twats in my games. And considering that's top 100 range for NA, that means everyone is getting them in their games.

Edited by Master Ketsu.4569
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At least the old bots used to try to play and were about as good as a terrible player. The AFKers that just stay in home basically mean you're not going to win unless there's a severe skill disadvantage.

I took a break from PvP with the EoD launch for a while, and just started getting back into it and having fun, but for the last three weeks or so there has literally been one or more AFK bots in every second match I've played. I can deal with losing, but loading in and realising in the first thirty seconds that it's all over because of some random kitten sucks, and I won't be going back to the mode until Arenanet decide to actually spend some effort on this.

People have talked about the game mode being dead for a long time, but it was at the very least always fun. It's not anymore, and this will be the real death of it.

Edited by illuminosity.8537
  • Thanks 2

On 4/22/2023 at 2:33 AM, illuminosity.8537 said:

At least the old bots used to try to play and were about as good as a terrible player

To be fair to them, they were out performing about 1/3 of human players. They were bad at a lot of stuff but they made up for a lot of it with perfect rotations and inhuman reflexes.

Agreed that AFKs are far more of a problem

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ShadowInTheVoid.9183 said:

To be fair to them, they were out performing about 1/3 of human players. They were bad at a lot of stuff but they made up for a lot of it with perfect rotations and inhuman reflexes.

Agreed that AFKs are far more of a problem

thing was, no matter how bad you're losing they kept playing, i guess they turned 20% of losses around cuz of that

• Like 1

Anet doesn't care about AFK. They even removed incentive to keep playing one sited matches. It is part of game design since the current league system had been introduced years ago. They gave an explanation to it as well that read like "we want to create a more competitive playground". What a joke when you look what sPvP is today. 

• Like 3

According to what I've read about how the MM works, the only real problem per se with bots is when they are not properly placed yet in rank due to insufficient matches.  Otherwise the MM would still be okay because they would be fairly distributed over a statistically significant number of matches.

Edited by Lorendyl Azoradaelas.5203

I think we have to give ANet a bit of credit here. All the bots/afkers I was seeing during the spike maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago are gone. I haven't seen them since (and many of us reported them, and talked about them in map chat). I think I've only had one problem player in like my last 20 matches to finish the season. 👍

So I'm going to continue reporting players, because, based on this evidence, it works (even if it takes them weeks to do something about it).

There is a super easy solution to this problem that ANet and the PvP community refuses. Allow players the option to queue into Rank with a full on 5-man premade team. If you have control over who is on your team. Then you will once again have agency over your PvP matches. 

Nothing leaves a sourer taste in my mouth in a PvP match. Then having people on my team match in and match getting away with sabotaging my climb with impunity. 

For the people who don't want to find other people to queue with. Just ignore them, they have the option to do so and refused it. Therefore they are more than likely not serious about climbing anyways. And will more than likely be stuck in Silver or Bronze until they do so. Again, it's their option to not be competitive. Don't force manipulation loses on us, or we'll find other MMOs or dedicated E-Sports PvP games to PvP in.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fearless.3569 said:

There is a super easy solution to this problem that ANet and the PvP community refuses. Allow players the option to queue into Rank with a full on 5-man premade team. If you have control over who is on your team. Then you will once again have agency over your PvP matches. 

Nothing leaves a sourer taste in my mouth in a PvP match. Then having people on my team match in and match getting away with sabotaging my climb with impunity. 

For the people who don't want to find other people to queue with. Just ignore them, they have the option to do so and refused it. Therefore they are more than likely not serious about climbing anyways. And will more than likely be stuck in Silver or Bronze until they do so. Again, it's their option to not be competitive. Don't force manipulation loses on us, or we'll find other MMOs or dedicated E-Sports PvP games to PvP in.

The best option is for everyone queueing to have a check box that says whether they are willing to be matched against opponents in groups bigger than they are in.   

So you can go ahead and Q with your 4 friends... but don't expect people who want to solo Q to have to play against you unless they chose to.     You can go ahead and duo... then you'd be potentially matched against duo's and singles who opted to be matched against larger groups.   

If for some strange reason your not getting a lot of matches... or only facing hard ones against prepared 5 man teams... well that kind of says something doesn't it

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 5:04 AM, Fearless.3569 said:

That's because it works in theory but not in practice, because the PvP community just isn't anywhere big enough for it to work. And by nowhere near, I mean we don't even have 1% of the playerbase needed for 5man to even begin to have positive returns.  This is the unfortunate mathematical reality that the "Just make matchmaking 5man and everything is fixed" community refuses to accept.