What's effective vs thiefes in wvw?

Lucy.3728

5 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Do you mean with soldier's equipment (power, vita, toughness) or celestial (bit of everything)?

Something like that: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Support_Spellbreaker ? (with greatsword as second for better mobility)

No it's a core warrior with full Nomad's everything, shield obviously and warhorn on the second set. I think Dolyak runes (I forget.) I think I explored elite specs but nothing maxed out regeneration and healing as much as I was getting on core, especially with warhorn AoE heals. I originally used the healing signet but I think they actually nerfed it since then so you can't get perpetual regen, so I replaced it with the skill that heals you while you take damage. Now please keep in mind I'm not saying this is a good roaming build other than for trolling, although it is really fun always being the last one standing in a group wipe lol

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, Lucy.3728 said:

Do you mean with soldier's equipment (power, vita, toughness) or celestial (bit of everything)?

Something like that: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Support_Spellbreaker ? (with greatsword as second for better mobility)

In the long run I wouldn't go warrior if you're looking to counter thieves. Generally speaking, thief counters all warrior builds if you put a skilled player behind the wheel. 

Your best shot is power ranger (soulbeast), willbender (guardian), and being a thief yourself. 

• Like 2

Define "effective"!

1. If you are talking about builds that can kill a thief, then it's only a oneshot build. In any other case the thief will just reset the fight once you dealt a certain amount of damage.

2. If you are talking about builds that a thief can not kill: Either high burst builds that can destroy 75% of his health bar in one second each time he engages (which means forcing him to reset immediately) or simply a bunker he can't outdamage.

Regarding 1. not every class has the options for such builds

Regarding 2: every class can build in such a way (but often these builds are bad against every other class)

That sums up, why everyone hates thieves. The class is just a stupid misplacement in the game with mechanics that follow their own rules.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Define "effective"!

Either killing or escaping successfully.

I usually play rev in wvw (renegade or herald, depending on the team situation) and sometimes it happens I have to go from a to b alone or with someone else, like when resupplying or going to the squad from a wp. And sometimes there are 1-3 enemies farming the single ppl and at least 1 thief is among them (had 3 thieves once too).

I survive a while but that's play for time, when the thief gets to much dmg he hides and ports away just to return like 5 seconds later and it starts again and I'm not getting anywhere. That's frustrating. Herald doesn't have the mobility to escape. Thief jumps faster and further.

I don't know whether rev has the possibility to kill a thief (unless the really incompetent ones, but they are not the topic). Maybe a shiro/mallyx combination, but I guess it lacks burst damage. When I play renegade I wear mainly celestial with bit condi, as herald I wear either marauder or full berserker.

I know I can escape a thief as thief, but I like team playing in wvw and a thief is useless in that regard and tbh thief is the only class I can't warm up with in any mode and I tried every spec, it's only useful to me for Halloween labyrinth.

The class is an absurdity in WvW.

Other classes I'd play in wvw: warrior, necro, ranger (though latter has no value in organised squads I know).

No ele, no thief, no guard.

Edited by Lucy.3728

Have you tried the target painters and target painter traps sold by the traps and tricks merchants?  Most issues seem to stem from thieves utilizing stealth.

There are aura-creating runes that activate on combat start which would be helpful, too, but that's where I'd start.

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:13 PM, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

Have you tried the target painters and target painter traps sold by the traps and tricks merchants?  Most issues seem to stem from thieves utilizing stealth.

There are aura-creating runes that activate on combat start which would be helpful, too, but that's where I'd start.

~EpWa

Telling people to use traps is a trap used by thieves in order to waste peoples time and resources.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Some Ranger builds (both power and condi) have chances, some bunker/brusier builds (Druids, Weavers, Catalyst) can. Some very high burst builds (Virtuoso) with good defense...

But well played, if a Thief has the sense that can't win a fight (or is very risky) ausually can disengage, so  theoretically the most you can get is a draw.

• Like 1