What do I do with Level 80 Boosts?

I bought the PoF and EoD ultimate packs and they each came with a Shared Inventory Slot and a Level 80 Boost.

I also just bought the Copper-fed and Silver-fed Salvage-o-matics and wanted to put them in the Shared Inventory Slots, but the game will not let me remove the Level 80 Boosts without consuming them.  (I really don't understand why they cannot be stored in the Bank like Bag and Template expansions...)

Any suggestions one what I should do here?

I have a max-level Warrior, Guardian, Thief and Engineer; between Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ranger, and Revenant, which two would be best to use the boost on?

• Like 1

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level-80_Boost#Preview

"Using this item on a character who is below level 80 will grant the option to preview max-level play in The Silverwastes; the item can then be used again to decide whether to level up permanently and consume the boost, or to end the trial and keep the boost."

It would be best to test it yourself and then decide on which ones suit you best.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Seeing as how you have 2x Heavy/2x Medium classes, either you can play 2x Light or just that number to 3x Heavy/3x Medium.

Also, the items will still work even if your toons are level 80 and you don't want to make more, you simply lose some of the stuff, it still gives the beginner Celestial gear bundle AND teleports you to SIlverwastes.

Edited by MercurialKuroSludge.8974
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I agree with the suggestion to try them out yourself and see which you prefer. You can't test elite specs when trialing the boost but if you go to the Heart of the Mists you'll be level 80 with all the elite specs unlocked, so you can get some sense of how they work.

You can also use the boosts on a character who is already level 80, which will use it up and give you the items but won't change the character. There are other ways to quickly level a character if you want to do it later on. The easiest is to save up Tomes of Knowledge (which can be stored in the bank) and then use them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadCat.6780 said:

I have a max-level Warrior, Guardian, Thief and Engineer; between Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ranger, and Revenant, which two would be best to use the boost on?

Ele is fun to level but squishy, you have very low base HP and a lot of your attacks are short in range or longer in range but slow to cast, so you're more exposed. Definitely I would use one booster in Ele if you fant to free the slot (albeit I'm currently hand leveling a second ele and is fun). Mesmer is imo the easiest core profession to level: staff + greatsword and you and your clones kill everything at range barely exposing yourself. Ranger and Necro are very easy to level, having pets to tank, damage mitigation and plenty of cc (Ranger has more mobility but the extra headache of having to unlock the pets, which at level 80 takes ~40 minutes). Revenant is weird to level up: the power build can move fast but is frail; the condi build is way tankier and much better dealing vs multiple foes at the same time but moves much slower, and core Rev is 100% mele, which is risky (the hammer is awfull outside WvW zergs).

I would use the boosters in Ele & Rev.

• Thanks 1

I would say make a Necro and an Ele.  I can say that the celestial stat gear you get from instant 80 is great for Ele, and I believe there are, or at least were, some ok Necro builds for OW that used celestial gear.  Oh, I guess there are some OW Rev builds that could use celestial well too, I do not play my revs often, so not positive.

• Thanks 1

^ I think that celestial is the strongest solo OW stat combination for any spec aside of Bladesworn & Spellbreaker (power builds are better there) and maybe Deadeye. In that ragard, is hardly a waste in any profession. Being said that, not all celestail builds are the same in terms of easy of use or fun to play.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I agree with the suggestion to try them out yourself and see which you prefer. You can't test elite specs when trialing the boost but if you go to the Heart of the Mists you'll be level 80 with all the elite specs unlocked, so you can get some sense of how they work.

I've been doing that already, which is why I was surprised to find that "using" the Boost actually puts that character into a sort of "trial mode" in The Silverwastes.  Kind of silly you cannot try out the Elite Specs since that may sway opinion. (E.g. I found the Virtuoso a lot more fun than the other Mesmer specs while testing it in the Mists.)

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There are other ways to quickly level a character if you want to do it later on. The easiest is to save up Tomes of Knowledge (which can be stored in the bank) and then use them.

I have about 47 Tomes, a bunch of Level 60, 40, and 20 Boosts, and a ton of XP boosters that I got on my characters as anniversary gifts over the years that leveling isn't going to be an issue for the remaining 5 professions.  Couple that with the fact that GW2 is one of the rare MMOs where leveling up is actually worth the effort as it allows you to ease into how each profession plays and you can see why these Level 80 Boosts are giving me a headache. 😅

Also, consider my question "which profession should I boost to 80" is less "which profession would I find most fun at 80" and more "which profession is the most annoying to level to 80". 😋

Also also, if I use the Level 80 Boost, does it unlock all the core skills for the class, or do I have to run around and grab the Hero Points manually?

2 hours ago, Heibi.4251 said:

Depends on how you like to play.  Make a Ranger and a Revenant if those are the weight classes you like to play.

I generally prefer melee classes (or healers in group content), the reason being that 90% of mobs will rush you when in combat, and I just get annoyed at always trying to keep them at bay with ranged classes.

However, it seems all GW2 classes can be either melee or ranged, depending on how you build them, so this is probably a moot consideration.

4 hours ago, MadCat.6780 said:

Also also, if I use the Level 80 Boost, does it unlock all the core skills for the class, or do I have to run around and grab the Hero Points manually?

As a new player, I can tell you that leveling up to 80 gets you EVERY core skill/trait you want without doing any Hero Point whatsoever, exactly 0 leftover.

As for annoying to level class for boosting, maybe Ele/Mesmer? Necro/Ranger are definitely very forgiving, and people who play Revenant tell me the rotation is extremely simple, at least in Open World.

Edited by MercurialKuroSludge.8974