So I already can’t v1 a good Mesmer… what exactly is the upcoming patch going to do for them?

shion.2084

Mesmer

The main outlier we wanted to address for mesmer is staff/axe mirage. We made an adjustment to Chaos Vortex back in November with the goal of reducing the overall damage output of the build while providing alacrity, but it didn't quite have the impact that we wanted. For this update we've brought down the alacrity duration to require these builds to invest more in boon duration.

Core

• Phantasmal Duelist: Reduced cooldown from 20 seconds to 18 seconds in PvP and WvW.
  • Magic Bullet: Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 20 seconds in PvP and WvW.
  • The Prestige: Increased the number of conditions removed from 1 to 2 in PvP and WvW.
  • Phantasmal Mage: Reduced cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP and WvW.

Chronomancer

• Chronophantasma: Reduced daze duration from 1.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds in PvE only.
  • Well of Calamity: Increased pulse power coefficient from 1.0 to 1.3 in PvE only. Reduced final power coefficient from 3.0 to 2.1 in PvE only.
  • Gravity Well: Increased pulse power coefficient from 0.8 to 1.1 in PvE only. Reduced final power coefficient from 3.0 to 2.1 in PvE only.

Mirage

• Chaos Vortex: Reduced duration of alacrity granted by clones from 1 second to 0.5 seconds in PvE only.

Bug Fixes

• Blade Renewal: Fixed an issue that caused this skill to improperly remove distortion at the end of its cast.
  • The Prestige: Fixed an issue that caused this skill to reveal the user upon ending.
  • Phantasmal Warden: Fixed an issue that prevented this skill from creating Combo Finisher: Whirl the correct number of times.
Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

A Mesmer is pretty krypton it’s for me currently.  Can anyone break down for me how this upcoming patch is going to enhance their play?

Patch will buff torch and pistol; weapons used by roaming mesmers. You're probably having troubles against chronobunkers, which use staff-scepter\shield, so the answer to your question would be "absolutely nothing".

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

what do you mean, mesmer is hopelessly underpowered and has been ever since mirage lost their 2nd dodge /s

It is, every skilled option on mesmer has been consciously killed over the years and now we're left with just the bunkers. I could play that and facetank an entire zerg for 15 minutes, but I avoid since compiling my tax returns is genuinely more enticing than playing that.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

what do you mean, mesmer is hopelessly underpowered and has been ever since mirage lost their 2nd dodge /s

Your kidding right...  In platinum level you see people duo-ing double mes.   They ridiculously farm people.  You've been playing against the wrong mesmers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• shion.2084 changed the title to So I already can’t v1 a good Mesmer… what exactly is the upcoming patch going to do for them?

If you want to see a decent core Mesmer there's the underfoot or something like that fellow.

But yes a good virtuoso is basically unkillable.  I've seen good ones survive against multiple opponents indefinitely.  Plus they have a burst.   

Then you get the well variety.

Most do suck... but a well played Mesmer is one of my least favourite things to fight...   

Edited by shion.2084
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

But yes a good virtuoso is basically unkillable.  I've seen good ones survive against multiple opponents indefinitely.  Plus they have a burst.   

If your opponents are NPCs you defo can do that

58 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

Most do suck... but a well played Mesmer is one of my least favourite things to fight...   

I think we found an npc

Edited by semak.7481
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

5 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

I also find a good virtuoso troublesome like evenyelle or whomever.

Then don't fight it, let someone else decap/full cap the mesmer and just walk away because it basically has no chase vs most classes.

You can even just out rotate it, valid option as most players in the game couldn't rotate on an office chair.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

18 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

Can anyone break down for me how this upcoming patch is going to enhance their play?

Chronobunkers will remain the same. 

Cracked power mesmers will be able to disassemble you a teeny bit more consistently because magic bullet will have a faster turnover.

This may also buff virtuoso. They are still slow though. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Chronobunkers will remain the same. 

Cracked power mesmers will be able to disassemble you a teeny bit more consistently because magic bullet will have a faster turnover.

This may also buff virtuoso. They are still slow though. 

Look at this guy, he doesn't even play mesmer but he kittening gets it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Some classes counter others, simple as that. I play berserk/scholar + illusions/dueling virtuoso and people still complain about it without realizing that many classes can combo my 16k hp in one combo or by landing a few conditions. Most condi bunker specs are far more effective and leave the player with much more room for error, yet you rarely see people complain about them. I think our good friend shion probably just had a bad experience with a virtuoso. 

7 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Most mesmer players aren't good at mesmer. They will likely never know what mesmer is capable of like the few good mesmer players left.

You mean the ones capable of playing aggressively while seamlessly able to chain CC/burst ....somehow mesmer players are typically left alone, mesmers are not critically nerfed unless you get something really really stupid that even cats and dogs can play effectively...but other professions typically ger critically nerfed for far less. It has always been far easier to play a tanky virtuoso( literally learned to play one over a weekend) than a glass Untamed and yet the latter got nuked from orbit almost immediately while virtuoso in typical fashion will take years to see finally adjusted. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

You mean the ones capable of playing aggressively while seamlessly able to chain CC/burst ....somehow mesmer players are typically left alone, mesmers are not critically nerfed unless you get something really really stupid that even cats and dogs can play effectively...but other professions typically ger critically nerfed for far less. It has always been far easier to play a tanky virtuoso( literally learned to play one over a weekend) than a glass Untamed and yet the latter got nuked from orbit almost immediately while virtuoso in typical fashion will take years to see finally adjusted. 

You did not follow the balance over the last years.

Also CmC seems to like low skill intense builds, since he is not good at the game himself. That only low skill intense builds on mesmer are meta (if there are even any builds meta for mesmer) has nothing to do with the class but with a general bad balance philosophy done by incompetent devs. Other classes have just as or even more braindead and broken builds, while not being out of meta for years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

There is the commonly used, easy to play, chronobunker build. A more difficult chronophantasma variation that is a very good team fighter and duelist but needs more attention towards negating incoming attacks. The classic power shatter chronomancer/mesmer/mirage builds. The safer IH power shatter mirage build. Lastly, the condi burst chronomancer build (getting buffed a little too).  The condi mirage build gets countered too hard by the predominance of elementalists in the game due to our lord and savior, CMC, blessed be.

Theres a lot of mesmer builds but most are too difficult to play for most people either to effects get off the damage or to survive. They all suffer from the issue of low mobility making them not ideal for conquest outside of ATs where you can remedy that issue with better coordination... or play catalyst.

• Confused 2

Mesmers are fairly true to their nature, once you undo the mystery around them you can see their weakness.   In competitive mode a Mesmer has very well known animations and engagements that you should all ready know are coming.   A burst that seems to come out of no where.   If you see this.   One, you know they have used blink.   And two if you dodge the initial burst, you’ve got them on at least half of their skills on cd.   Next you have to blow through what may seem like an endless amount of evades but in reality it’s maybe 10-12 seconds of invul between all of mesmers evades.   If you know they used them all, this is when you do your own burst.   A good Mesmer will have a defensive rotation and if they play it right they won’t spam them.   But here you really need to pay attention, this is what people don’t like.   On virt you have to be looking at their boons, ageis will block the next attack, this could be an auto attack or a full burst that is not going to hit. With mirage you just have to keep track of them, again look at their boons and you’ll find the Mesmer and not clones.   People like to over complicate the class.   But it really isn’t that hard.   But a good Mesmer will know when and how their minor traits are at work, not to mention everything else and will use it to their advantage.   Currently with the egotism buff you can easy decrease their dps just by keeping your health above their own hp.   One thing Mesmer has other classes maybe not so much is their defensive set up also plays an offensive role.   They have to keep this synergy going or their dps drops off.   Example a virt needs to block to manage blades for the next burst.   Denying them the chance to block will greatly reduce their damage.    Having stab, will also negate a power spike and condi cleanse vs a cmesmer.   Pretty simple stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phixion.9428 said:

Also CmC seems to like low skill intense builds, since he is not good at the game himself.

That's not true, and we can see it from the one EoD class CmC designed -that being untamed. It was designed as a roamer, and roamer untamed -as effective as it might be- is DEFINITELY not "low skill".

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

That's not true, and we can see it from the one EoD class CmC designed -that being untamed. It was designed as a roamer, and roamer untamed -as effective as it might be- is DEFINITELY not "low skill".

From a basic design point (means its potential skill intensity when well balanced in a well balanced game) yes but not in the state it still is in.

Also the overall braindead gamestate (which is getting worse the longer incompetent and unprofessional devs balance the game) just as leaked and officially announced dev statements are just disgusting and do not give hope this game will be well balanced any time soon again (and good balance includes skillbased! and not only a lot of braindead stuff is close to each other in strength for variety in teamcomps).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

There is the commonly used, easy to play, chronobunker build. A more difficult chronophantasma variation that is a very good team fighter and duelist but needs more attention towards negating incoming attacks. The classic power shatter chronomancer/mesmer/mirage builds. The safer IH power shatter mirage build. Lastly, the condi burst chronomancer build (getting buffed a little too).  The condi mirage build gets countered too hard by the predominance of elementalists in the game due to our lord and savior, CMC, blessed be.

Theres a lot of mesmer builds but most are too difficult to play for most people either to effects get off the damage or to survive. They all suffer from the issue of low mobility making them not ideal for conquest outside of ATs where you can remedy that issue with better coordination... or play catalyst.

99% of mesmers use this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mantra_of_Distraction , that greatly lower any skill requirement by about 3/4....just stealth/range/pewpew insta dazex2 from 1200 range and let the clones do the dmg, mostly condi, literally tried chronomancer/virtuoso...we must stop saying that mesmer is high skill anything. If you go for example in PVP arena, 3/4 of the players will be mesmers....ranked with double mesmer is not uncommon, nearly unkillable virtuso with distortion spam rotation or chrono bunker....wvw...let's not even open the book. 

The class is not complained nearly as much as it should be....people would rather cry about couple of glass cannon builds that manage to down their cheese bunker spec. Already started to properly main mesmer....and 1v1 this class is just kitten to fight

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

38 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

99% of mesmers use this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mantra_of_Distraction , that greatly lower any skill requirement by about 3/4....just stealth/range/pewpew insta dazex2 from 1200 range and let the clones do the dmg, mostly condi, literally tried chronomancer/virtuoso...we must stop saying that mesmer is high skill anything. If you go for example in PVP arena, 3/4 of the players will be mesmers....ranked with double mesmer is not uncommon, nearly unkillable virtuso with distortion spam rotation or chrono bunker....wvw...let's not even open the book. 

The class is not complained nearly as much as it should be....people would rather cry about couple of glass cannon builds that manage to down their cheese bunker spec. Already started to properly main mesmer....and 1v1 this class is just kitten to fight

My opinions my be distorted for three reasons.

1. Most mesmers I fight aren't remotely a challenge because they have no clue what they're doing.

2. The few good mesmers I do routinely fight are also the only mesmers that would even bother playing mesmer in AT finals, are incredibly dangerous in fights, and are countered by swapping to high rotational strategies to capitalize on their greatest weakness, the map.

3. The mesmer players on the forum (along with necromancer, warrior, thief, and to the least extent, elementalist) swear their class is garbage and needs a laundry list of foolish ideas implemented to even be viable for gold placement. The reason being loops back to point 1.

• Confused 1