Offline Players send me /whisper but I cannot reply back!?

Seriously, I am really frustrated when I put up my Mentor tag, some troll player /whispers me some dumb thing and when I try to reply, I am unable to because they appears offline which means they can whisper me but I cannot reply back? That is really dumb.

Some ideas to solve this issue:

Solution#1 - How about those who appear offline are unable to /whisper people since people cannot respond back to them in /whisper?

Solution#2 - How about let people whisper each other even if they appear offline?

One of these solutions should solve the issue.

Edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• DreamyAbaddon.3265 changed the title to Offline Players send me /whisper but I cannot reply back!?

Not sure about whispers but I know that you also can't invite them to party/squad while they're offline unless you have them in your freinds list. Maybe the same applies here?

But yeah I think the whisper rules should apply to both ends rather than it being a one way system

Edited by Dibit.6259
typos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

The game's handling of the situation is questionable but realistically speaking life is too short to waste it on these people anyway.

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Don't players set their status to 'online', type and send the message, and then immediately set their status to 'off -line'?  Not sure above suggestion(s) would make any difference. 🤷‍♀️

If we really want to encourage this waste of time.

Solution 3: If you whisper someone then both can continue to do for the next X minutes regardless of online status or block.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

Ich hätte gerne eine Option, um nur Flüstern und E-Mails von Leuten auf meiner Freundesliste zu erhalten, zumindest während ich im WvW bin.

you can do this if you manually enter the name you have on the fl and write to him in wisper - this has been possible for years. You only have to look for his account name as he calls himself eg Musterman.2390 you enter the name and can also with him in wvw wispern even if you are in the other match.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, multiwickingerhabich.9867 said:

you can do this if you manually enter the name you have on the fl and write to him in wisper - this has been possible for years. You only have to look for his account name as he calls himself eg Musterman.2390 you enter the name and can also with him in wvw wispern even if you are in the other match.

1) Why did you translate my post into german?

2) You seem to have misunderstood what I said.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Can you not use the block feature?

By the time you realize you need to block the person, you've already been exposed to their garbage but I like this solution. 
Some people intentionally appear offline to cause this specific kind of grief.  They can 'harm' people without fear of retaliation. 
OP's initial idea to make it impossible for an 'offline' person to send whispers is an excellent idea because it puts an end to that kind of "last laugh" trolling. 

• Like 4

Solution 1 seems better than solution 2. When people go offline, they do it for a reason. Usually if they want to play solo and not be bothered by other players. But sometimes it’s easy to forget they changed it to offline. When they then whisper their friends, they don’t get any replies and may feel ignored and not realize it’s because their friends cannot whisper them back. Solution 1 would fix this.

Solution 2 would take away the reason why players go offline and it would be useless to have the option to go offline if this was added. Unless they only did this for players you have added. Which would be more like a solution 3.

When it comes to toxic players, you can prevent this by ignoring them when they whisper you or block them. Or go offline yourself if it bothers you. If you answer these people, they got what they wanted. A reaction from you. The best way to deal with these players is laugh at them and move on and have fun playing. While this can be challenging for some players, it is best to not feed these kind of players. If they never got any reaction, they would stop eventually as they would just waste their time.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

By the time you realize you need to block the person, you've already been exposed to their garbage but I like this solution. 
Some people intentionally appear offline to cause this specific kind of grief.  They can 'harm' people without fear of retaliation. 
OP's initial idea to make it impossible for an 'offline' person to send whispers is an excellent idea because it puts an end to that kind of "last laugh" trolling. 

How is it an excellent idea?  They'll still troll you and your solution is still the same: block them.  But maybe if you're quick enough, you can get that oh-so important last word in before they block you, right?  Do you seriously expect ANet to facilitate your pointless feuding?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

17 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Can you not use the block feature?

From my experience, some people have offline on as default and forget that they're on offline. So not being able to use whispers while offline would be a better solution imo. Then they realise that they're offline and can choose to turn to online. I've gotten a fair amount of questions in whisper that I cannot respond to. Just regular questions about the game because I said something in chat that they would want specifics on, for example. 

Then I want to answer them and I can't.  So that happens as well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

Seriously, I am really frustrated when I put up my Mentor tag, some troll player /whispers me some dumb thing and when I try to reply, I am unable to because they appears offline which means they can whisper me but I cannot reply back? That is really dumb.

Some ideas to solve this issue:

Solution#1 - How about those who appear offline are unable to /whisper people since people cannot respond back to them in /whisper?

Solution#2 - How about let people whisper each other even if they appear offline?

One of these solutions should solve the issue.

You can in game mail them - unless they block you right after. But seriously, it's best to ignore most of these people. They aren't mature enough to carry on a civil conversation. They love anonymity because it makes them feel powerful. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

You can send the person even if it is offline for you an email and write the by email important is only the name of the recipient that the right.wo is the kitten the problem?

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Yeah, I'm sure ANet is going to make these changes just because you're salty you couldn't get the last word in. 🙄

Well, they did make some changes to friendlist/blocklist relatively recently. They might as well lock outgoing whispers from invisible accounts since allowing for that makes next to no sense anyways -either someone just wants to keep typing without being able to be responded to (other than mail, but why are you supposed to jump through the hoops because of someone else's actions) or they forgot they're invisible and despite expecting the answer they won't get one, potentially without realizing why (again, other than mail, but...). In either of these situations allowing to send outgoing whispers while being invisible doesn't bring anything good to the table.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

People who are offline shouldn't be able to send whispers to people outside their friend list. Easy fix!

This really should be the only answer. It accounts for people that didn't remember they were offline, as well as trolls trying to bother people. "block them" is a more nuclear option that has no nuance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well, they did make some changes to friendlist/blocklist relatively recently. They might as well lock outgoing whispers from invisible accounts since allowing for that makes next to no sense anyways -either someone just wants to keep typing without being able to be responded to (other than mail, but why are you supposed to jump through the hoops because of someone else's actions) or they forgot they're invisible and despite expecting the answer they won't get one, potentially without realizing why (again, other than mail, but...). In either of these situations allowing to send outgoing whispers while being invisible doesn't bring anything good to the table.

That makes sense.  

• Like 2