Hack that allowed ranger to volley inside of an unbroken wall? and a possible solution!

Perle.7352

When I play my ranger if I cannot see the ground I'm casting my volley on, I can't hit it.

Yet when we were playing against Mag, a ranger consistently volleyed beyond the wall, which was not down, and destroyed our siege and killed players. Someone else said this was a hack that allowed you to zoom way out and get a ground target that way.

I know when I am on an arrow cart that even if I can see the ground out of view of the cart, the ground target turns red. Couldn't the ranger volley be coded the same way?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Zevelon.6512 said:

Skills mate not hacks, there is an option called : snap to ground target. You should try it some times.

^ This, using barrage from outside to inside a tower is easily done with snap to target, especially fun when a downstate ele thinks they got inside and safe. I would recommend having the toggle keybound for this ability as you do not always want to be using it.

Edited by Vavume.8065
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Vavume.8065 said:

^ This, using barrage from outside to inside a tower is easily done with snap to target, especially fun when a downstate ele thinks they got inside and safe. I would recommend having the toggle keybound for this ability as you do not always want to be using it.

IMO. If a ranger can do it. Then all classes should be able to do it. Especially Ele that calls down spells from the heavens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Yep. It´s a completely normal mechanic, that not only applies to Ranger, but also to arrow-carts. Both of these skills don´t require full line of sight, you just have to be able to place the ground-target. And that is done by snapping ground-targets to your target (which is a keybind in your settings). 

And at least for arrowcarts (maybe works for ranger too, idk), by activating "Lock Ground Target at Maximum Skill Range" you don´t even require a target, you can just aim at the ground (even if it´s obstructed by a wall) and you´re good

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Like 1

There's an option in the menu that allows you to auto snap ground aoe skills to your current target. Longbow 5 has no line of sight so you can hit people behind walls(cuz realz lyfe physics, too bad it only applies to this one skill and not everything else in the game). Engineers can also lob grenades behind them with perfect precision with this. Ground aoe auto targeting should have never been made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

There is even another possibility an ultra-wide display (or a window with an extreme width to height ratio) may allow you to look over walls.

remember that it worked years ago.

That was only needed back in the day when the camera height was locked, but that has been unlocked for years now. You can easily look over walls with mounts as well, pick the target then get off and shoot.

3 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

It is 100% not a hack and 99% of the time that people call hacks it is when they do not understand how something actually works in the game.

tbh the reason for that is that there is too much kitten that is broken like that... like this one and only unique ability of this only one class that can shoot through line of sight yet all other similar abilities like meteor shower, hunters ward etc. don't have that... it's clearly broken and nobody ever bothered to fix it... like leap of faith still being broken in wvw, how hard can it be to swap 1 variable...

• Like 2

For some reason the only skill in the game with no line of sight requirement is ranger longbow 5. To hit you, they were either using snap-to-target or they changed their camera perspective to look over the wall (as a ranger in WvW, it is optimal to play with your camera at max vertical position and angled all the way to one side if you want to shoot over walls and around obstacles without needed someone targeted). 

6 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

Yep. It´s a completely normal mechanic, that not only applies to Ranger, but also to arrow-carts.

It doesn't apply to arrow carts. Arrow carts have line-of-sight requirements, it's just line-of-sight from a weird position that I think is in the air slightly above the arrow cart.  You can't place arrow carts in completely safe positions and shoot anywhere within their range through solid walls. 

With ranger, if you can click it or target it and it is within range, then you can hit it.

That's not a normal mechanic--it's a weird, single exception that doesn't make sense in terms of gameplay or skill flavor.

Edited by ZTeamG.4603

10 hours ago, Perle.7352 said:

When I play my ranger if I cannot see the ground I'm casting my volley on, I can't hit it.

Yet when we were playing against Mag, a ranger consistently volleyed beyond the wall, which was not down, and destroyed our siege and killed players. Someone else said this was a hack that allowed you to zoom way out and get a ground target that way.

I know when I am on an arrow cart that even if I can see the ground out of view of the cart, the ground target turns red. Couldn't the ranger volley be coded the same way?

ANeT actually added a little realism to the game. Barrage is literally shooting arrows high up above the wall and hitting stuff on the other side. Physics 101. Not a hack.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

There's an option in the menu that allows you to auto snap ground aoe skills to your current target. Longbow 5 has no line of sight so you can hit people behind walls(cuz realz lyfe physics, too bad it only applies to this one skill and not everything else in the game). Engineers can also lob grenades behind them with perfect precision with this. Ground aoe auto targeting should have never been made.

Well this explains a lot. For 10 yrs I've been leading my aim to make my aoes hit on staff ele.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348

You can change the view in the settings for the camera to where you can see over walls and just move your mouse onto some siege (for example a treb on a supply hut inside the unbroken wall or some siege on the ground behind the wall). 

I don't think any class should be able to do this, but I doubt anet will change it...Maybe after restructuring/alliances releases. >.>

Edited by WeightTrainer.3219
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Heibi.4251 said:

ANeT actually added a little realism to the game. Barrage is literally shooting arrows high up above the wall and hitting stuff on the other side. Physics 101. Not a hack.

Meteor is literally summoning meteors up in the sky to drop straight down, why is there line of sight on it? Physics 101 has always been a stupid excuse for barrage in a video game which has magic, and bullets from guns that somehow travel less distance than an arrow.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZTeamG.4603 said:

It doesn't apply to arrow carts. Arrow carts have line-of-sight requirements, it's just line-of-sight from a weird position that I think is in the air slightly above the arrow cart.  You can't place arrow carts in completely safe positions and shoot anywhere within their range through solid walls. 

Yes you can kinda sorta bend the los rules on ac's like that, by targeting the open area just above the wall it will shoot just beyond the wall. I've used ac's in safe spots that fire over the wall onto the cata's next to it. Particularly useful on north towers in alpine.

37 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Meteor is literally summoning meteors up in the sky to drop straight down, why is there line of sight on it? Physics 101 has always been a stupid excuse for barrage in a video game which has magic, and bullets from guns that somehow travel less distance than an arrow.

But a wizard has to actually see his/her target, whereas a ranger is basically just firing arrows into the sky. A meteor shower is calling rocks down on a specific target. Early muskets were only "good" up to around 90 meters compared to archers at around 365 meters or so it's obvious why bows have a longer range.

31 minutes ago, Heibi.4251 said:

But a wizard has to actually see his/her target, whereas a ranger is basically just firing arrows into the sky. A meteor shower is calling rocks down on a specific target. Early muskets were only "good" up to around 90 meters compared to archers at around 365 meters or so it's obvious why bows have a longer range.

Ye man, true. I saw how archers were firing into the sky and the wind carried arrow 365 meters behind them and took out their own king. I was that arrow that did it.
Lmao, these mental gymastics to justify dumb mechanics...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Ye man, true. I saw how archers were firing into the sky and the wind carried arrow 365 meters behind them and took out their own king. I was that arrow that did it.
Lmao, these mental gymastics to justify dumb mechanics...

People who never studied history. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Heibi.4251 said:

So a wizard needs to see their target to conjure a meteor storm above their head? Why couldn't just they just look into the sky like the ranger does?

Speaking of just basically firing arrows into the sky, very good point, they should change barrage to hit a random areas instead of pin point accuracy. Kinda like Vindicators gsword 5, whirls your sword and random holes on the ground. Good reason why they shouldn't have the moronic auto target for ground aoes in the game.

Sure muskets, oh by the way, you don't take as long to load gw2 guns, so I'm sure it's not muskets they're using! Eventually guns shot further than arrows, with more power. I mean we have gun flame that can one shot a person at 1500 range, I'm sure it's got more juice than ranger arrows at this point since you can't even one shot with those but arrows get to fly 1800+ range, cuz pyyshics.

😏🍿

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heibi.4251 said:

People who never studied history. Sigh.

History is the same, people were born, they lived and they died, same bs since thousands of years.
You try to justify bs mechanic with history, funny thing is, you still had to aim with bows to some degree, otherwise it would end up in a way that I wrote. Much logic there.
Since magic doesn't exist in real world(fallacy of matrix), the principle would be the same as archers, aiming in general area to pewpew.
Another thing, if you want so much history and realism applied to archers, then pulling the string for longer pewpew should be also a thing, yet it isn't for some reason. Picky realism when it's beneficial, right?