Jump to content
  • Sign Up

can we please have a flanking indicator?


Recommended Posts

with a handful of skills that require particular flanking/rear positioning, it would be very useful to have some kind of indicator around an enemy showing which direction they're facing.

sometimes you can't tell what direction an enemy is facing due to the enemy type (air elementals) or they're doing some kind of weird spinning animation that isn't actually changing their forward direction (siax in fractal 98).

with all of the great accessibility and engine upgrades we've received, and are going to be receiving, I think this would be a fantastic addition.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree this would be helpful, especially with enemies that don't have an obvious face or front.

I normally work on the basis that their (non-AoE) attacks will be coming from the front, so I try to stand outside of that area when I want to be flanking. The range for flanking is very wide, there's about a 90 degree cone in front and anything outside of that counts as flanking, so even if you're not entirely sure of the right direction it's more likely you're flanking than not.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am torn in this one. You are right, it would be a great accessibility addition, but it's more visual clutter around an enemy. I'd rather a compromise and have an icon under their name when targeted so it's out of the way, but still there for those who need it

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another option would be to put the indicator on the abilities, letting you know you are in the correct position to get the 'special' advantage, whatever that may be. Could also be used to light up a button that gives you a special 'after successful block', others.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

Another option would be to put the indicator on the abilities, letting you know you are in the correct position to get the 'special' advantage, whatever that may be. Could also be used to light up a button that gives you a special 'after successful block', others.

This idea looks as if it would resolve the OP's issue -- without cluttering the screen for those whom an indicator would be meaningless.

Edited by IndigoSundown.5419
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

This idea looks as if it would resolve the OP's issue -- without cluttering the screen for those whom an indicator would be meaningless.

i would rather them not go in this direction.

knowing which direction an enemy is facing at a glance is very useful even if you're not using any skills that require flanking/rear positioning. from their forward direction you can basically tell what they're planning on doing and who they're aggroing etc.

having the position advantage displayed on the skill is not an immediate glance because you'd have to constantly reposition and check if the skill flips over instead of instantly knowing where you need to be.

what I'm suggesting is just an arrow showing their forward direction tied to their targeting reticle. it wouldn't be more visual clutter than already exists, especially when we're able to turn off other characters skill effects in the near future.

Edited by Yureii.4236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I am torn in this one. You are right, it would be a great accessibility addition, but it's more visual clutter around an enemy. I'd rather a compromise and have an icon under their name when targeted so it's out of the way, but still there for those who need it

This indicator is already present on raid bosses since 2015, it works perfectly fine and just needs to be adapted to other bosses so you can always see their facing direction. Visual clutter is a poor argument when their attacks make dozens of red circles compared to one indicator.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

This indicator is already present on raid bosses since 2015, it works perfectly fine and just needs to be adapted to other bosses so you can always see their facing direction. Visual clutter is a poor argument when their attacks make dozens of red circles compared to one indicator.

It was in before that. For example the first champion in the Marionette fight has it because it needs to be attacked from the back. https://youtu.be/VK4p2v2WDAI?t=429

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...