Christmas in July? A Right to Bear Arms

CalmTheStorm.2364

@Cal Cohen.2358 I know you and the balance team are hard at work on the June 27 patch, and I, for one, am very much looking forward to it!

If you have the opportunity, I'd love to see a rework to the Arms traitline.  I hope that the following suggestions may provide some food for thought.

Minor Traits:

Furious Burst: Same as it is now.  Please allow Fury to continue to grant +30% crit chance in competitive modes.

Sundering Burst:  Same as it is now, just moved to the minor slot.  The vuln applied is beneficial for both power and condi builds, unlike the current Deep Strikes.

Furious Resolve:  Gain adrenaline (5) and Regeneration (4s) whenever you gain Fury

provides a thematic source of adrenaline gain and adds a small source of sustain.

Adept Traits:

Opportunist:  Gain Fury (5s) when you apply a movement-impairing condition on an enemy (5s CD).  Gain +180 condition damage when you have Fury.

Unsuspecting Foe:  Gain Fury (5s) when you disable a foe (5s CD).  Gain +180 power when you have Fury.

Fencer's Defense: Gain Fury (5s) when you block an attack (5s CD).  Gain +180 toughness when you have Fury.

Master Traits:

Signet Mastery:  Same as it is now (minus the CD reduction, presumably).

Poisoned Blades:  Burst attacks inflict poison (6s).  Apply 1 stack of poison plus an additional stack for each bar of adrenaline spent (e.g., a tier 2 burst would inflict 1+2 = 3 stacks of poison).  

Blademaster:  Gain +120 condition damage; critical hits have a 50% chance to inflict torment (3s).  Double these values if wielding a sword.

Basically the "Forceful Greatsword" of the Arms line.

Grandmaster Traits:

Burst Precision:  Burst skills gain +100% critical chance.  Gain Resistance when using a burst skill (1s + 1s for each bar of adrenaline spent).

Provides an alternative source of resistance other than resilient roll.

Bloodlust:  Gain +120 Expertise.  Gain a stacking condition damage bonus each time you apply a condition to an enemy.

Divorces the condi stacking from the critical hit requirement, which is awkward/unhelpful for many condi builds

Furious Strength:  Gain 5 stacks of might (5s) whenever you gain Fury.  Damage increased by +5% when you have Might.

Might benefits both power and condi builds; synergies with Might Makes Right and Mending Might for sustain options.  More beneficial for PvE builds which will already be crit-capped and don't need Burst Precision.

Thanks for considering it!

• Like 3

Only one minor nitpick.

There are 2 Condi Traits in the Master Tier now and a Trait thats niche.

So, if you run a Power Build without Signets, you basically only have the passiv Lesser Signet of Might.

But even with that, this version of Arms would be 1000% better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Only one minor nitpick.

There are 2 Condi Traits in the Master Tier now and a Trait thats niche.

So, if you run a Power Build without Signets, you basically only have the passiv Lesser Signet of Might.

But even with that, this version of Arms would be 1000% better.

That's a fair point. Any suggestions for how it could be better?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

I would love to see all Warriors receive 10% discount at the gem store because if we forever gonna suck at least we can look cool trying!

only 10%? let's go big! 50% sounds bout right. 😁💪

and aye gotta look good, everyone knows the real endgame of gw2 is fashion wars. 😎

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Zuko.7132 said:

I would remove blademaster and replace it with a power trait.

Signet mastery is already a power trait on that tier, though.  Plus, Blademaster is potentially crazy powerful for condi builds...imagine the torment on crit combined with burst precision (or being crit-capped). Flurry/flaming flurry could be a massive damage spike with that set up.

17 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I want to see more expertise and less condition damage personally. That or more straight condition duration increases.

If Blademaster was +120 expertise instead of condition damage, you could have +240 expertise when wielding a sword and another +120 from Bloodlust. Although I do think the condi dmg would be fine as well...you can get quite a bit of expertise/condi duration from gear/runes/consumables/sigils.

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

If Blademaster was +120 expertise instead of condition damage, you could have +240 expertise when wielding a sword and another +120 from Bloodlust. Although I do think the condi dmg would be fine as well...you can get quite a bit of expertise/condi duration from gear/runes/consumables/sigils.

Yes, but a lot of it is tied with condition damage. What I want are sources of expertise that are not coupled with condition damage. Let me get +30% condition duration from my traitlines independent of gear. Yes, I want to abuse soft condis on a power build, that is something that isn't done often, and I'd like to see that playstyle opened up.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 1:25 PM, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

That's a fair point. Any suggestions for how it could be better?

Honestly, hard to say. How about this:

Swift Blades:

Gain Swiftness when you gain Fury. Swiftness is 66% stronger.

A more generic Trait thats always usefull.  Replace Poisen blades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

imagine the torment on crit combined with burst precision (or being crit-capped).

i actually have experimented with 2 hybrid builds using rampager gear that were crit capped, one with 100% bleeding and another with 100% burning, can only max out 1 condition duration.

neither of the crit capped builds were better than using viper's, low crit, with both 100% bleeding and burning.

i don't know how it will work with your version of blademaster with torment but i imagine it would be similar in regards to a crit capped build.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 5

36 minutes ago, eXruina.4956 said:

i actually have experimented with 2 hybrid builds using rampager gear that were crit capped, one with 100% bleeding and another with 100% burning, can only max out 1 condition duration.

neither of the crit capped builds were better than using viper's, low crit, with both 100% bleeding and burning.

i don't know how it will work with your version of blademaster with torment but i imagine it would be similar in regards to a crit capped build.

If every crit inflicted torment, a single Flurry would inflict 8 bleeds and 8 torment. That's a massive upgrade to flurry's normal output.

Heck you could even use whirling axe (with MH sword) to dump a ton of torment on multiple targets.

The proposed trait could open up a lot of powerful possibilities.

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

If every crit inflicted torment, a single Flurry would inflict 8 bleeds and 8 torment. That's a massive upgrade to flurry's normal output.

Heck you could even use whirling axe (with MH sword) to dump a ton of torment on multiple targets.

I have frequently mentioned that we need a torment on crit or torment on bleed trait. I stand by that still.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

yeah, this is all true, also torment is more powerful than bleeding, i can see it breaking the mold.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

Here is what I want out of Arms. I want at least one trait in each tier that does the following, overlaps allowed: buff condition output, buff condition duration, buff crit chance, have effects on crit, buff ferocity or critical damage.

Tailoring your proposals in that light looks like this (my edits are obvious):

Minor Traits:

Furious Burst: Same as it is now.  Please allow Fury to continue to grant +30% crit chance in competitive modes.

Sundering Burst:  Same as it is now, just moved to the minor slot.  The vuln applied is beneficial for both power and condi builds, unlike the current Deep Strikes.

Furious Resolve:  Gain adrenaline (5) and Regeneration (4s) whenever you gain Fury

*Aside, you know they will put a CD on that right? 5s is what I would suggest.

Adept Traits:

Opportunist:  Gain Fury (5s) when you apply a movement-impairing condition on an enemy (5s CD).  Gain +180 condition damage when you have Fury.

Unsuspecting Foe:  Gain Fury (5s) when you disable a foe (5s CD).  Gain +180 ferocity when you have Fury.

Fencer's Defense: Gain Fury (5s) when you block an attack (5s CD).  Gain +180 expertise when you have Fury.

Master Traits:

Poisoned Blades:  Burst attacks inflict poison (6s).  Apply 1 stack of poison plus an additional stack for each bar of adrenaline spent (e.g., a tier 2 burst would inflict 1+2 = 3 stacks of poison).  

*This is too weak next to Blademaster, also why have to extra damaging conditions sources in the same tier? Can we opt for some soft condi here instead?

Snaring  Bursts: Burst attacks inflict inhibiting conditions: Apply 4s of Cripple when hitting with a Burst attack. Tier 2 Bursts also apply slow for 3s. Tier 3 Bursts also apply immobilize for 2s. 

This synergizes with Opportunist above and extra cover conditions which is one of condition warrior's weak spots. This is also a reason why condi defensebreaker can work, Slow Counter gives extra cover conditions. This wouldn't add extra covers to that build, but would add to their durations.

Blademaster:  Gain +120 condition damage; critical hits have a 50% chance to inflict torment (5s).  Double these values if wielding a sword.

*Aside: make it 5s. It still relies on the target standing still to do max damage.

Grandmaster Traits:

Burst Precision:  Burst skills gain +100% critical chance.  Gain Resistance when using a burst skill (1s + 1s for each bar of adrenaline spent).

BloodlustGain +120 Expertise.  Gain a stacking condition damage and expertise bonus each time you apply a condition to an enemy.

Divorces the condi stacking from the critical hit requirement, which is awkward/unhelpful for many condi builds

*Aside: Moving the expertise to the stacks, gives a higher total buff and rewards more skillfull gameplay. Just having a bunch of +Stat traits just turns us into stat checks to overcome.

Furious Strength:  Gain 5 stacks of might (5s) whenever you gain Fury.  Critical Damage increased by +10% when you have Might.

*Aside: changing to Critical Damage and increasing the modifier. This is a GM trait, it warrants a larger number. Also adding to Critical Damage like this ends up being a much larger increase in damage. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 5:11 AM, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

The principle of minor traits being rather broad in their usefulness should really be standard for all specializations in the game, it is such an obviously good idea.

On 5/14/2023 at 5:11 AM, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Opportunist:  Gain Fury (5s) when you apply a movement-impairing condition on an enemy (5s CD).  Gain +180 condition damage when you have Fury.

I am thinking that Opportunist would benefit more from a bonus to expertise than condition damage. Was your choice intentional so that the trait would not be too strong?

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Here is what I want out of Arms. I want at least one trait in each tier that does the following, overlaps allowed: buff condition output, buff condition duration, buff crit chance, have effects on crit, buff ferocity or critical damage.

Tailoring your proposals in that light looks like this (my edits are obvious):

Minor Traits:

Furious Burst: Same as it is now.  Please allow Fury to continue to grant +30% crit chance in competitive modes.

Furious Resolve:  Gain adrenaline (5) and Regeneration (4s) whenever you gain Fury

*Aside, you know they will put a CD on that right? 5s is what I would suggest.

Adept Traits:

Opportunist:  Gain Fury (5s) when you apply a movement-impairing condition on an enemy (5s CD).  Gain +180 condition damage when you have Fury.

Unsuspecting Foe:  Gain Fury (5s) when you disable a foe (5s CD).  Gain +180 ferocity when you have Fury.

Fencer's Defense: Gain Fury (5s) when you block an attack (5s CD).  Gain +180 expertise when you have Fury.

Master Traits:

*This is too weak next to Blademaster, also why have to extra damaging conditions sources in the same tier? Can we opt for some soft condi here instead?

Snaring  Bursts: Burst attacks inflict inhibiting conditions: Apply 4s of Cripple when hitting with a Burst attack. Tier 2 Bursts also apply slow for 3s. Tier 3 Bursts also apply immobilize for 2s. 

This synergizes with Opportunist above and extra cover conditions which is one of condition warrior's weak spots. This is also a reason why condi defensebreaker can work, Slow Counter gives extra cover conditions. This wouldn't add extra covers to that build, but would add to their durations.

Blademaster:  Gain +120 condition damage; critical hits have a 50% chance to inflict torment (5s).  Double these values if wielding a sword.

*Aside: make it 5s. It still relies on the target standing still to do max damage.

Grandmaster Traits:

BloodlustGain +120 Expertise.  Gain a stacking condition damage and expertise bonus each time you apply a condition to an enemy.

*Aside: Moving the expertise to the stacks, gives a higher total buff and rewards more skillfull gameplay. Just having a bunch of +Stat traits just turns us into stat checks to overcome.

Furious Strength:  Gain 5 stacks of might (5s) whenever you gain Fury.  Critical Damage increased by +10% when you have Might.

*Aside: changing to Critical Damage and increasing the modifier. This is a GM trait, it warrants a larger number. Also adding to Critical Damage like this ends up being a much larger increase in damage. 

Lots of good ideas.

Not sold on Snaring Burst as it stands; only getting cripple on a t1 burst (which is, usually, the most you're able get off reliably in a competitive environment, and the ONLY burst available on SpB) seems pretty weak.

How about this:

Burst skills Inflict immobilize (1s per tier of burst) and cripple (5s).

That would be valuable at any level, and, as you pointed out, synergizes with Opportunist as well as torment application from sword 4/sigils/etc.

Alternatively, I think @DanAlcedo.3281's idea to create something that gives enhanced swiftness would be amazing and fill a void in warrior's repertoire.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Katary.7096 said:

am thinking that Opportunist would benefit more from a bonus to expertise than condition damage. Was your choice intentional so that the trait would not be too strong?

Thanks for the feedback! I was mostly just trying to put the +180 condition damage that Deep Strikes gives back into Arms somewhere, since my proposed rework replaced deep strikes with sundering burst.

Im not married to the idea, though. As you and Lan point out, maybe improving condition duration would be a better way to go, especially since it could synergize with some of the soft CC/cover condi that warrior applies, even on a power build.

10 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Lots of good ideas.

Not sold on Snaring Burst as it stands; only getting cripple on a t1 burst (which is, usually, the most you're able get off reliably in a competitive environment, and the ONLY burst available on SpB) seems pretty weak.

How about this:

Burst skills Inflict immobilize (1s per tier of burst) and cripple (5s).

That would be valuable at any level, and, as you pointed out, synergizes with Opportunist as well as torment application from sword 4/sigils/etc.

That's fair. My POV on that was to add several soft condis to inhibit the target, that would also be nice cover conditions. I felt that back loading them in strength would be better balance, but I see what you mean. How about:

Bursts cripple your target (5s). Apply additional conditions based on adrenaline spent:

T1: Immobilize (2s)
T2: Slow (3s)
T3: Chill* (3s)

*Not 100% on board with chill, but we get vuln and weakness from elsewhere. This could be 3 stacks of poison for 3s though for T3.

10 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Alternatively, I think @DanAlcedo.3281's idea to create something that gives enhanced swiftness would be amazing and fill a void in warrior's repertoire.

I think Strength or Discipline may be a better place for an enhanced swiftness. Warrior's Sprint perhaps?

Gain swiftness (4s) on weapon swap. Swiftness on you is 50% more effective (like the ele trait) and grants increased damage (the current splits). Cleanse immobilize when using a movement skill.