Let us swap between classes on the same character?

Lighter.5631

maining one class is not feasible anyway, and classes are just game content,

but people are attached to the one character, because you have all your stuff there, or it breaks immersion and many other reasons.

this could be a great feature that can be included in the next big update.

i mean there's no way the commander can only learn one skill set right?

and it would free people from unnecessary balance bias that promotes unhealthy emotions as the class is no longer linked to their character.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

• Lighter.5631 changed the title to Let us swap between classes on the same character?
5 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

maining one class is not feasible anyway, and classes are just game content,

but people are attached to the one character, because you have all your stuff there, or it breaks immersion and many other reasons.

this could be a great feature that can be included in the next big update.

i mean there's no way the commander can only learn one skill set right?

and it would free people from unnecessary balance bias that promotes unhealthy emotions as the class is no longer linked to their character.

Lighter, you do know that Anet would lose money if they were to implement that feature .

Also, Square Enix has given each Jobs(Professions) their specific roles with having their own identities and roles

It is a great feature but it t will never work in Guild Wars 2 because Professions identities and roles are near non existent and the Community has reached its end with playing almost every Professions roles and identities, picking 1 Profession

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

Swapping characters breaks immersion but the same character somehow juggling between classes wouldn't be breaking it?

7 hours ago, Lighter.5631 said:

That's not a game issue, looks more like it might be some, well, emotional issue?

Maybe you can make exact copies of the same character and pretend it's the same one swapping classes whenever you relog between them.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

It's a necessary feature in FF14, as a lot of the content is locked behind quest lines, especially the MSQ. Having to replay all that for every Job on a different character would be too much too ask players.

In GW2 (and WoW as well), there are very few of such requisites for group content and the story in GW2 is mostly optional. Leveling is incredibly quick as well, so it takes little time to bring a character up to par. Thus, GW2 does not need such a feature (and neither does WoW for the same reasons).

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

I would love the ability to buy race change tokens like you can do in other games. Unfortunately for both of us, I don't think either option is possible. 

During character creation, some of the customization options you select during the process (like racial backstory and favored element for Elementalist) are actually tied to story paths during the main story arc. Since those options are tied to the story itself and determine which NPCs you interact with, which cutscenes you see, where you go during the story, and what you see in your story journal, I don't think it would be possible to race or profession swap. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Helgaley.3619 said:

I would love the ability to buy race change tokens like you can do in other games. Unfortunately for both of us, I don't think either option is possible. 

During character creation, some of the customization options you select during the process (like racial backstory and favored element for Elementalist) are actually tied to story paths during the main story arc. Since those options are tied to the story itself and determine which NPCs you interact with, which cutscenes you see, where you go during the story, and what you see in your story journal, I don't think it would be possible to race or profession swap. 

I don't think the profession-related question actually matters for the story paths though.

I think those only determine one piece of starter gear (or the first pet for rangers) and a bit of text in the biography at the start of the personal story log.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think the profession-related question actually matters for the story paths though.

I think those only determine one piece of starter gear (or the first pet for rangers) and a bit of text in the biography at the start of the personal story log.

Had to check the wiki, but this is correct - thanks for pointing that out. Either way, I think there are some small interactions between story dialogue+ profession, so I think the issue would remain. I know NPCs will make small comments about the commander's profession in some of the more recent story content like IBS and EoD, so it seems like they wouldn't be able to give us the ability to change race or profession without also making changes to these other elements. 

25 minutes ago, Helgaley.3619 said:

Had to check the wiki, but this is correct - thanks for pointing that out. Either way, I think there are some small interactions between story dialogue+ profession, so I think the issue would remain. I know NPCs will make small comments about the commander's profession in some of the more recent story content like IBS and EoD, so it seems like they wouldn't be able to give us the ability to change race or profession without also making changes to these other elements. 

There's also that bit with the Jail in Season 4, but I don't remember anything profession-related that affects more than that.

i would love a feature to swap classes, and/or races too.

i don't really mind if they monetize it like many games do either, as a class change token and/or race change token in the gemstore.

i don't really understand why some people are so against it either, honestly they lose nothing from something like this being added to the game.

• Confused 4

On 5/16/2023 at 4:06 PM, The Boz.2038 said:

I would love a $10 class-swap ticket.

That would be nice, but consider a new character slot is only $10. For the same price you can make a whole new toon with the same exact look and a similar name, plus extra inventory space. I guess there is some cost in leveling tomes/scrolls and gearing. Ascended gear can be character and stat swapped.

Maybe if it came with the option to switch gear stats or swap classes multiple times?

16 minutes ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

That would be nice, but consider a new character slot is only $10. For the same price you can make a whole new toon with the same exact look and a similar name, plus extra inventory space. I guess there is some cost in leveling tomes/scrolls and gearing. Ascended gear can be character and stat swapped.

Maybe if it came with the option to switch gear stats or swap classes multiple times?

But not with the same character upgrades, build slots, bag slots, map completion, etc. 
Also, sometimes you really wanna swap aesthetically. I'd love to swap my asura warrior and shrub thief, for example.

14 hours ago, eXruina.4956 said:

I don't really understand why some people are so against it either, honestly they lose nothing from something like this being added to the game.

I wouldn't really say its that hard to understand. Time spent on not implementing something they would prefer more? Someone has to implement the feature and that takes time an resource. Neither of which is infinite. 

Its also competes with / diminishes the need for people to buy other, character specific, convenience items like bags, templates etc.

36 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

But not with the same character upgrades, build slots, bag slots, map completion, etc. 
Also, sometimes you really wanna swap aesthetically. I'd love to swap my asura warrior and shrub thief, for example.

True, I did forget about the character-bound upgrades. I do the aesthetic swap using another extra character slot with the same character appearance, but it does lose the upgrades.