Grandmaster Marks Useless After Legendary Armor

3 hours ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

You can use them to buy ascended weapons and armour from wvw or pvp to acquire the skins you don't already have.

And if there are none left that one doesn't already have? 😉

13 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

they're basically the new Emblems of the Avenger...

...for which we will be given a new use soon, so hopefully other items and currencies will follow.

• Confused 3

On 5/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

And if there are none left that one doesn't already have? 😉

There are 32 weapon skins from pvp/wvw which all cost 3x GM marks so that's 96.

There are also 36 unique amour skins in pvp, another 36 in wvw - costing a further 240 GM marks.

I somehow doubt that you have made/farmed 336GM marks and have every single one of these skins but feel free to prove me wrong.🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

There are also 36 unique amour skins in pvp, another 36 in wvw - costing a further 240 GM marks.

I somehow doubt that you have made/farmed 336GM marks and have every single one of these skins but feel free to prove me wrong.🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm just totally off my rocker today, but checking the WvW skirmish vendor there is 51 weapons that "require" marks (since you can craft them it's not really required) and 18 armor pieces. I have all legendary sets from WvW with all the armors unlocked, but maybe only 30% of the weapons because tbh they are garbage skins and I only bothered to unlock it for the random ascended weapon. 180 marks in the bank just doing nothing and probably more scattered on a character here and there. 

And also 35000 worthless skirmish marks.

I dont see anything strange with people having plenty more.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

180 marks in the bank just doing nothing and probably more scattered on a character here and there. 

Do you mean marks or shards? I have only accumulated shards and converted them into marks when I'm ready to use them. I didn't want to end up with extra tailor marks when I needed armoursmith etc.

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Maybe I'm just totally off my rocker today, but checking the WvW skirmish vendor there is 51 weapons that "require" marks (since you can craft them it's not really required) and 18 armor pieces. I have all legendary sets from WvW with all the armors unlocked, but maybe only 30% of the weapons because tbh they are garbage skins and I only bothered to unlock it for the random ascended weapon. 180 marks in the bank just doing nothing and probably more scattered on a character here and there. 

And also 35000 worthless skirmish marks.

I dont see anything strange with people having plenty more.

Of course, I forgot the old hero misforged set. That's another 19 weapons, so 57 more GM marks. So the total marks needed to unlock everything goes up to 393. 

While I agree there could be be a tiny minority who have 10k+ hours of playtime and may have got all those marks already, this is not an issue for the 99.9% of people. My solution to the original problem was, if you have too many marks, you can unlock all the skins you havent yet acquired. I still stand by the fact that very few people would have every wvw/pvp skin in their wardrobe. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Do you mean marks or shards? I have only accumulated shards and converted them into marks when I'm ready to use them. I didn't want to end up with extra tailor marks when I needed armoursmith etc.

Yeah, sorry confused marks for shards. Point is you can also craft them though and people are insane at farming hence there are those that can have everything unlocked.

The problem with the skins is that I personally dont want those skins. Easily converting the currency into gold would be good... especially since you earn just a pittance in WvW compared to PvE that roll around in about as much gold in an hour that a WvWer make in a week.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I have all legendary sets from WvW with all the armors unlocked, but maybe only 30% of the weapons because tbh they are garbage skins

Ditto.

45 minutes ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

Of course, I forgot the old hero misforged set. That's another 19 weapons, so 57 more GM marks. So the total marks needed to unlock everything goes up to 393.

Nobody "needs" those ugly weapon skins, really. Also, when you are fully equipped in legendary gear like me, you certainly don't need those.

• Confused 4

22 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Nobody "needs" those ugly weapon skins, really. Also, when you are fully equipped in legendary gear like me, you certainly don't need those.

What the skins look like is subjective. Nobody "needs" to have ascended/legendary gear, all content can be done in exotics (minus perhaps HT CM, etc.) so "need" is an irrelevant factor.

The point is, if you have spare GM marks and have not unlocked all skins, then those marks have a use. You're saying that you don't want to use the marks to unlock skins you don't like. That's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that they have a purpose.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

Nobody "needs" to have ascended/legendary gear, all content can be done in exotics (minus perhaps HT CM, etc.) so "need" is an irrelevant factor.

Not really comparable to just a skin - legendaries is a distinct advantage you "need" if you run many builds on the characters you cant leave the instance on, like say WvW with a 50 man queue.

Ascended will also always be better than exotic and last I heard PvErs in particular where sensetive about the size of their dps.

Not sure what that had to do with lack of things to do with the currency, even if you dont have all you'd have them eventually.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

What the skins look like is subjective. Nobody "needs" to have ascended/legendary gear, all content can be done in exotics (minus perhaps HT CM, etc.) so "need" is an irrelevant factor.

The point is, if you have spare GM marks and have not unlocked all skins, then those marks have a use. You're saying that you don't want to use the marks to unlock skins you don't like. That's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that they have a purpose.

If those skins would cost just marks, sure, I'd spend them. But having to waste other resources in addition to the marks makes that a very bad option.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

Skins certainly are subjective, but HT CM, and all other strikes and all raids can be done with exotic gear.  It's only high level fractals that need ascended (or legendary) gear for the agony resist mechanic.

• Confused 1

Personally, I find that there are times when ascended weapons are more convenient than legendaries - if you change which weapons you use often, having the weapons be ascended rather than legendary means it can be pulled out of inventory ready to go, rather than having to reapply stats, sigil(s) and infusion(s) every time you change a weapon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

I'm not sure the return on investment, but you can use those marks to buy ascended weapons & armor, stat change them to crafted variants, then salvage for research notes.

Taking the price of memories of battle into consideration, I think just crafting ascended weapons is cheaper.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

If those skins would cost just marks, sure, I'd spend them. But having to waste other resources in addition to the marks makes that a very bad option.

This.

If the only remaining use for the marks is to spend other (relatively) high value resources, which I might not have a sufficiency of, then the marks have no use for me.

• Confused 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:08 AM, MarshallLaw.9260 said:

Yeah, but I would bet that most people don't care that much about skins. Since I have all my Legendary Armor sets, I won't be using GMs to get ascended armor just for the skin. Be nice if there was something else we could buy with these.

5 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

Yeah, but I would bet that most people don't care that much about skins. Since I have all my Legendary Armor sets, I won't be using GMs to get ascended armor just for the skin. Be nice if there was something else we could buy with these.

Something that doesn't cost 55+ gold worth of stuff in addition to the marks. Spending all that to buy skins that'll never see any use just to get rid of the marks? I'd rather delete them.

Here is my hope for GM marks, they introduce a full set of legendary weapons for WvW that require Skirmish tickets, Badges of Honor, Memories of Battle and Grandmaster Marks, I think this is quite realistic and could be part of the makeover that WvW is now going through.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Vavume.8065 said:

Here is my hope for GM marks, they introduce a full set of legendary weapons for WvW that require Skirmish tickets, Badges of Honor, Memories of Battle and Grandmaster Marks, I think this is quite realistic and could be part of the makeover that WvW is now going through.

I don't even play WvW that much, but that sounds really cool !

• Like 1
  • Confused 2