NVIDIA GPU Maxing Out When Playing

My NVIDIA GPU started maxing out at 100% usage about a week ago.  It worked fine up until the time I did a Fractal group on Tuesday May 9, 2023.  After that time is when the situation started to occur.  I have tried changing the in-game FPS from Unlimited to 60 FPS and there was no change.  The drivers are updated as of the last 05/02/2023 revision, so I don't know what else to check.  If anyone knows of having the same problem, or something I can try, please let me know.

3 hours ago, Knowingone.1378 said:

My NVIDIA GPU started maxing out at 100% usage about a week ago.  It worked fine up until the time I did a Fractal group on Tuesday May 9, 2023.  After that time is when the situation started to occur.  I have tried changing the in-game FPS from Unlimited to 60 FPS and there was no change.  The drivers are updated as of the last 05/02/2023 revision, so I don't know what else to check.  If anyone knows of having the same problem, or something I can try, please let me know.

Maybe try to use DDU to remove all that might be left from updating drivers even when it should be removed by Nvidia's own uninstall app. It is a well known app to remove all possible left over from drivers which might be left even when one are using Uninstaller from Nvidia or AMD.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

After you have cleaned out all leftover from earlier drivers, then download the latest version from Nvidia.

More then this isn't possible to do without any more information from your side as we would need to know what Windows version you are running (build) and the rest of your system hardware.

You can check your windows version by using command in Windows Start: winver (which will use winver.exe that are built into Windows). It will bring up a small pop up window with information on which build version you have installed right now.

Don't forget to tell us if you are running a Steam or the original version of game as with Steam you might have more thing going on in background. Same if you are using any overlay apps including Discord.

Use MS Windows Task Manager to see what processes are running in the background and also to see how load is balanced between CPU (and cores/threads) vs GPU. In the first tab (Processes) in TM there you can see how much the load is for each active process including Gw2-x64.exe.

EDIT:
Forgot to instruct you to use Windows Borderless option as when you use Fullscreen (any option which show resolution) then game will be able to display Task Manager at same time as you are running game and using alt-tab will change work load to what you can see (as now you are in Desktop [mode] and game is moved into the background processes).

You will need to use Windows Borderless option to be able to display Task Manger above game surface like any other overlay based app.

I am assuming you are only using one display to output from GPU to screen with this edit, if you have more then one display then it is something else and you might be able to output Task Manger on one display (Desktop) and the other for only game. Again this is something you need to explain as part of what hardware you are using and don't forget resolution that you are playing on.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1