PvE Ele spec

ShazaM.2583

Hi all. 

Looking to pick ele back up again. I don’t have a ton of time to play so I’d love to hone in on one elite spec for any/all pve content. Doesn’t need to be best dps in the game, would just very much appreciate folks opinions on fun/versatility/etc so I get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks and happy Friday (or whatever day it is when you read this)!

Well, they're all versatile.  It depends on what you're looking for.

The most fun one IMO is Weaver.  Though any Tom, kitten, and Harry can memorize the DPS rotation, there's a lot of technique that goes into playing it well.  Knowing where the evades and movement skills are, knowing where the CC skills are, and knowing how to flow through the elements all goes in to playing it.  My favorite build is Fresh Air Sword, which has a lot of small QoL benefits over Bolt to the Heart.  Particularly, Fresh Air raises the CC potential of the spec from bad to great.  Condition Scepter is another good decent build, and is one of the few that can inflict almost all of its potential damage at a distance.

Tempest seems simplest in concept, and it has multiple builds that get used.  Though my advice is to avoid using power tempest, since it is dependent on conjures to do competitive damage, and those things tend to be quite unreliable.  The simplest one is Fire/Arcane condi tempest, which almost never leaves fire attunement.  Then there's a couple of alacrity builds (condi alac, power ala, heal alac).  But, if you want to have a pretty simple time playing Elementalist, then Fire Tempest is the way to go.  It's the cloest thing we have to a low-APM build.

Catalyst is the most controversial of the bunch.  It has a decent quickness build that outputs a lot of boons, and it has a good power build.  Though the rotation can get a bit frenetic at times, and it is prone to losing momentum.  My recommendation would be to use Elemental Celerity over Fiery Greatsword while learing the spec, since Celerity will allow for greater flexibility, more CC on demand, and also makes mistakes/bad circumstances less punishing.  Catalyst is currently the PVP/WvW spec for Ele, since it is capable of spamming magnetic/shocking aura and stability on itself.