Replacing mesmer with a Reaper as my main was the right decision.

Nabbut.7480

On 5/22/2023 at 8:12 AM, xlion.3065 said:

But isn't Mirage along with Reaper and Mechanist also "Legendary Tier" according to Lord Hizen's current tier list video?

I think we need to be careful here. Lord Hizen is talented and knows his stuff but his builds are specific to soloing the hardest OW boss encounters (Bounties, HP's, etc...) so his build choices will reflect that. It's impressive, but it's niche and does not necessarily translate to 'best' choices in playing generally in OW. Still, those builds are going to have the basic requirements to allow people to be successful in OW generally, so they can be used, even if they aren't optimal. 

As for the thread specifically, I can understand why the OP settled on Reaper in OW content but I do think his assessment of mesmer is off. Mirage has a MORE than capable OW spec (with variations in build as well!). Some playstyles just don't work for some people, no matter how easy they are, so that might be the case here. That's one of the selling points of GW2 after all. Something for everyone without leaving people behind. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, xlion.3065 said:

You should never just copy&paste a build from one source. Instead you should compare the build to similar builds from other sources, e. g. metabattle, GuildJen/Vallun, ... Maybe even check corresponding WvW roaming variants (usually more defensive) and DPS variants (usually more offensive) to get a good understanding of how the build works, e. g. what its synergies are. And then adjust it to your budget, your preferences and skill.

Having said that, did you actually check Lord Hizen's Open World Mirage build? I don't think that it is specifically/heavily tailored for hard open world boss encounters.

Did you?  He used a slightly modified version of it to solo the harvest temple strike (added CC, boonstrip, and stunbreak + stability + aegis by changing the elite and 2 utilities) and explained in the most recently updated video that the change to provide healing via mantra was in response to a recent mantra change that essentially allows you to use the healing skill every 8 seconds (alacrity) and outheal basically anything.  He also demonstrates a rotation that is literally just dodging and pushing 1 with 4 and 5 skill used off cooldown to maintain 14.5k golem DPS.  No shatters, no messing with clones.  As simple as it gets.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

I don't think that it is specifically/heavily tailored for hard open world boss encounters.

Since He used it to solo all the legendary bounties, IF is not specifically  tailored for hard OW bosses then I can only figure that is heavily tailored to roleplay One Punch Man... 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/27/2023 at 2:08 AM, Buran.3796 said:

Since He used it to solo all the legendary bounties, IF is not specifically  tailored for hard OW bosses then I can only figure that is heavily tailored to roleplay One Punch Man... 

[deleted]

Edited by xlion.3065

7 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

No, he heavily tailored his builds for hard OW bosses by applying "skill".
Hope that this doesn't get nerfed, since it's now in the open. 😉

Again, he's skilled, but there are choices being made in many of his builds that are specific to the task of soloing these harder encounters. They are not choices that are generally good for the average OW experience. For example, he frequently uses 'on swap' sigils. The effects they gives are typically good for long fights or require some conditions to be met that you just don't generally encounter in standard OW content. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

On 5/27/2023 at 2:15 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, he's skilled, but there are choices being made in many of his builds that are specific to the task of soloing these harder encounters. They are not choices that are generally good for the average OW experience. For example, he frequently uses 'on swap' sigils. The effects they gives are typically good for long fights or require some conditions to be met that you just don't generally encounter in standard OW content. 

[deleted]

Edited by xlion.3065

On 5/26/2023 at 10:32 PM, xlion.3065 said:

No, he heavily tailored his builds for hard OW bosses by applying "skill".
Hope that this doesn't get nerfed, since it's now in the open. 😉

It's been in the open for years.  I demonstrated staff Mirage 5 years ago on my channel.  It's always been one of the best builds for high sustain solo play.  It's been buffed a lot since then, in fact.  It's also one of the most forgiving builds in the level of performance it allows with no rotation.  As Hizen showed you can keep up with most sustain builds just pushing 1 and dodge.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:45 AM, xlion.3065 said:

I was specifically talking about the (Dual) Staff Mirage Build where the Sigil of Energy (on both staves) and frequent weapon swapping is kinda essential, since you want to be able to dodge (for more damage) as often as possible. No only in long boss fights.

I know what you are talking about; these Dual Staff Mirage builds are not new and the mechanic has been around for a long time.

Again, you can use these builds in OW without issue but if you are specifically referring to the Lord Hizen version, it's certainly not designed with the intent of general OW content. Of course, the mechanics don't change between the hard content or the general trash you encounter but there is simply more effective ways to deal with the general trash than spamming dodge and applying conditions with a swapping Dual Staff Mirage build. I would not recommend you use this build as your general OW go-to unless you really struggle with surviving.  

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3