Reflect On Your Feelings

stormemperor.3745

Agree. Honestly, the story is too much "feeling" altogether. It mirrors our society that actually thinks every person needs to hear everyone's opinion as if it matters. I will just pass on this forced-fed therapy session. Can we please bring back some of the old devs and writers who know the characters we are playing because they actually played the game? I mean I guess this can be expected. The vision of Arenanet and GW2 is overrun by cash cow trash gem store armor that is piecemeal sold for inflated prices. K byee!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

I watched Teapot run the new tunnel and associated events.  Copy/paste mechanics that even your partner streamers are sick to death of after one play through, culminating in a boss that just stands there while you repeat boring events.  Pretty weak.

Okay, so then I log in and do the story.  It seems like an extended therapy session and just when I get to where it looks like I might actually get around to doing something other than discussing my feelings about characters I hardly knew or cared anything about, the story hangs and I'm unable to progress.

Look, ANet.  I don't know what you guys are doing over there, but if this is the level of quality we can expect from you it might be time to move on from this game.  What happened to fun?  I used to look forward to story releases back during LS3/LS4.  Now I expect nothing and give a resigned sigh when you deliver exactly that.  Seriously, what is going on over there?

Disappointing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

Sadly I am also not really engaged in the actual story at all. Playing since GW1: Factions I just did not feel the actual vibe at all.

Spoiler

We concentrate on 3 people of our choice regarding the memories. Okay. I took Cinder since I liked her story in the Icebrood Saga. Then Chul-Moo speaks with me in Tyria about her as if he was there. That was strange I have to admit.

The final boss - disappeared from the story as quick as he appeared. Any explanation who he is, what are his connections to Kanaxai, anything? Not at all. Just kill him with positive emotions. It felt like Sailor Moon or whatever else.

If the further "mini-expansions" are on this level of story telling....the End of Dragons will be then, even if not intended, indeed the End of Guild Wars 2, at least for me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I get the idea, but I find the choice of characters really weird.

I never really cared much about Blish, but I can see why others do and how his death could have effected the Commander since they were directly effected by it. But like Cinder? Really? And if you choose Vlast the Commander talks about "Barely knowing him" as if they'd actually had some kind of interaction outside of him immediately sacrificing himself, they never knew him at all.

It's so strange to me considering there were perfect candidates for it right there at the end of the last story. If we're struggling to deal with the deaths of Traherne, Almorra, Eir and our mentor why not go around and start dealing with that trauma rather than characters we barely or just straight up didn't know. It would at least lend some level of closure to the final fight. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, Khanco.1584 said:

It's so strange to me considering there were perfect candidates for it right there at the end of the last story. If we're struggling to deal with the deaths of Traherne, Almorra, Eir and our mentor why not go around and start dealing with that trauma rather than characters we barely or just straight up didn't know. It would at least lend some level of closure to the final fight. 

I feel you. Getting to choose between characters i hardly really knew was weird to me. The way it was written also struck me as strange, as the commander really felt emotional during those rememberal scenes. The question is: why? we really hardly knew Blish or Glint.

Give me Trahearne and Eir, Those were the ones that were actually dear to me, and also to the story. The way the death of those characters was portrayed really felt like the story saw these characters as a dear friend and losing them was a real blow to the commander

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, this was a very poor showing for the first mission, really killed my desire to continue playing through the content so I stopped. These were mostly small side characters that the commander has little or no actual involvement with. Cinder? I literally had no idea who this character was until the flashbacks started, and then the game is trying to guilt trip me about her death? She was a traitor that joined a megalomaniac in a quest to try and turn one of the oldest, most dangerous creatures in the world into a war machine for the explicit purpose of conquering the world for "one charr". Why the hell am I moping around thinking about how terrible it is she died, she literally deserved it. And the whole time I'm having this conversation with Chul-moon, another person I dont know at all but I'm apparently down to have a heart to heart with him? At least have Rytlock or Braham be the person I'm talking to, they make sense in the role.

Then they also limit the number of people you can recollect without any indication? So I save the people I'm interested in see, like Aurene, for last so it hopefully ends on a high note but instead I'm just locked out of that content unless I replay it. I really hope that the product they are putting forth here is because their top people have all already switched to working on expac 4 otherwise they're going to have a rough time.

Edited by thetwothousand.5049
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Khanco.1584 said:

I get the idea, but I find the choice of characters really weird.

Outside of Aurene, I literally went "Who the kitten are any of these people???"

That said,

Spoiler

bringing Canach on your date was a fun touch.

Edited by Bristingr.5034
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Bristingr.5034 said:
  Hide contents

Canach

on your date was a fun touch.

I wonder how many people brought anyone else? I didn't remember who the Tengu was whatsoever.

I think that's kind of the problem with this story. They rely on us remembering lesser characters that have had little to no impact on our story experience. It really could have been a walk back through the most memorable characters from our past. and It just wasn't. Personally, I didn't remember who Cinder was at all. I remembered who Vlast was, but it's not like we ever spent any time with him directly.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I wonder how many people brought anyone else? I didn't remember who the Tengu was whatsoever.

I think that's kind of the problem with this story. They rely on us remembering lesser characters that have had little to no impact on our story experience. It really could have been a walk back through the most memorable characters from our past. and It just wasn't. Personally, I didn't remember who Cinder was at all. I remembered who Vlast was, but it's not like we ever spent any time with him directly.

Yeah, I picked Cinder and it was a total WTF? moment.  You meet Chul-Moo in Ascalon and then talk to a bunch of random Charr soldiers about Cinder.  Then Chul-Moo talks to you like he knows anything about you or her?  Like what is Chul-Moo even doing there, why does he give a crap about your feefees, and why do either of us care about Cinder?  This makes absolutely no sense at all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

It created more disconnect with my character. My norn would have no such trauma for those characters. I could barely even remember Cinder. I've said before this was not the right direction since I choose whether my character has ptsd. Use NPcs for that side of things. If they really had to go this direction (and they didn't), then Eir, our Mentor, Trahearne were better options. Even Almorra especially as she is my Order's leader.

Vlast? We had virtually no connection to. Cinder..Really? Aurene I kinda get, but she was a character I largely hated for most of the game. Blish - that situation was trauma for Gorrik and Taimi only.

I always going to pick Canach though. Didn't remember the others characters at all

It wasn't badly written in context, but it was largely dull and opportunities to properly connect our character to the past were not taken. It was like names put into a hat and thats the four they came up with rather than really thinking through everything over the last decade. 

Significant upping of the story is needed for the next expac/update imo. As I said before, if this is part of a larger story, we need to make better in roads. Again, the writers see the end game, so we need quicker pay offs and a sense of continuation. Was this just a filler side story? Was it part of a larger arc? Why should I be invested at this pace?

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

So I haven't played it yet but I did watch others play to see if I wanted to. I gotta say, besides wanting to do it from a completion standpoint, I really am not in a huge rush to do so. 

I am absolutely baffled that you don't get to choose the people whose deaths have been the most traumatic to the Commander. I kind of liked Blish, that's fine and all and I did actually remember who he was unlike the others, but if this is meant to be a reflection on the entire Dragon Saga, it would stand to reason it would make the most sense for us to process grief over Trahearne (MOST OF ALL, IN MY OPINION, considering he even said that he would by your side as you took them all on and then suddenly died, but I'm one of those unicorn Trahearne lovers, I guess...), Eir for sure (especially as someone who really cared about Destiny's Edge, played all the dungeons, etc - not to mention we are besties with her son to this day and she was one of the most notable losses to the Dragon Saga besides Trahearne), our Mentor (like I know it's been done, we have gotten them before, but it is still not something we have processed) - hell, Almorra even! She was the leader of my main's Order, after all. Instead we get BS characters who I honestly do not care about one bit, save for Blish who was kinda... meh to me. He should have been Taimi and Gorrick's ghost to deal with, not mine.

• Like 6

I am disappointed with this episode too. It really sucks especially when Anet gave us a whole year of Season 1 content. I thought they were cooking up something REALLY good in the background, but this was a huge let down. Cantha continues to feel empty sadly.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

My worst fear just became a reality: all trauma and stuff "sorted out" in one single episode, via the power of friendship. Cool.

It's like taking an intro of a horror movie, and slapping it with an ending of Saturday morning cartoon.

And what's with the ending? It feels really out of place to be someone's wingman and just...talk like it's a slice of life episode.

If there's one thing to appreciate though, at least the NPCs actually tried to talk to the Commander in the beginning and help them reflect on their past, but even then it just went over really quickly, just like how this whole episode went quickly over my head, like...literally.

I'm not even mad to be honest, it just made me feel like I'm better off writing my own fanfics and stuff.

Edited by NeverLoseGuy.3894
grammar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So having played through it now. I guess Yao makes sense as a contact for that part of the story since we're in NK anyways. Meeting Rama when reflecting on Aurene seemed really out of place. More especially since I can't see the Exalted letting him into the chamber lore-wise. I didn't bother picking Cinder of Vlast since from reading/watching yesterday I knew you could only visit 3 in total, and I didn't really know either of them. The only reflecting story-point I thought made sense all around was Blish/Gorrick. At least it made sense why Everyone was there for that, and why my character would open up to Gorrick.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 1

This chapter was hollow.

Emptier than warrior banner bundles on June 28th 2022.

There did not need to be any resolution here. This would have been a great jumping off point for the next expac, like a massive demon outbreak all over Tyria causing horror film levels of wtf nightmares. But nope, therapy, unicorns, and rainbows and an unrealistically swift healing process.

You're going to have to do way better on the next expac Anet. 

• Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

So having played through it now. I guess Yao makes sense as a contact for that part of the story since we're in NK anyways. Meeting Rama when reflecting on Aurene seemed really out of place. More especially since I can't see the Exalted letting him into the chamber lore-wise. I didn't bother picking Cinder of Vlast since from reading/watching yesterday I knew you could only visit 3 in total, and I didn't really know either of them. The only reflecting story-point I thought made sense all around was Blish/Gorrick. At least it made sense why Everyone was there for that, and why my character would open up to Gorrick.

As far as I can tell, each npc relates to the memory/emotional status for the different spots.

Yao is dealing with their past actions in the brotherhood, and wanting to do good going forward. Mai Trin, at the end of her life, was doing similar. She looked at what she had done, was disgusted, and tried to do a good thing when she died. Meanwhile the commander is trying to sort out the conflicting emotional statuses of hating everything Mai Trin did in her life, and acknowledging that her final actions were heroic and saved lives.

Also, I'm not sure why the exalted would not allow Rama to enter the egg chamber in Tahrir (If that is where it is)? It's empty room now, important but not that important, and he is part of the commander *Aurene's champion* group of friends and contacts. "Hey the commander is coming by, Rama will show up first" Makes sense.

The reflecting stuff wasn't about how deeply specific characters impacted them, but something with the events. Cinder is about the death of innocents/people who didn't have to die while they were in charge of the situation.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Also, I'm not sure why the exalted would not allow Rama to enter the egg chamber in Tahrir (If that is where it is)? It's empty room now, important but not that important, and he is part of the commander *Aurene's champion* group of friends and contacts. "Hey the commander is coming by, Rama will show up first" Makes sense.

Maybe you are right. It just seemed off to me in the moment. And it is in the egg chamber. You get there and Rama is just hanging out as his first spot on his sightseeing tour when you show up.

23 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

The reflecting stuff wasn't about how deeply specific characters impacted them, but something with the events. Cinder is about the death of innocents/people who didn't have to die while they were in charge of the situation.

I haven't gone through and chosen Cinder yet so have little comment on that part specifically. Before yesterday I didn't even remember who she was. Surely they could have chosen a more prominent character from that part of the story. Again though, I haven't been through this one yet and don't have any real opinions of it so far.

• Like 1