intermittent crash on opening launcher ( CEF )

i am submitting the crash.dmp every time it occurs...

edit: just to get some metrics; opened and sent report back-to-back on crash/success; i have had 3 successful loads and 20 crashes

some sample spam from the crash dump:

*--> Crash <--*

Exception: c000001d

App: Gw2-64.exe

Pid: 13452

BaseAddr: 00007FF7F18F0000

ProgramId: 101

Build: 146161

Module: libcef.dll

When: 2023-05-23T21:48:28Z 2023-05-23T14:48:28-07:00

Uptime: 0 days 0:00:04

Flags: 0

DumpFile: Crash.dmp

*--> Error Logs <--* 21:44:06Z WebBrowser: failed to create <REDACTED>\bin64\cef\CefHost.exe, 5 Crashed at 21:44:10

Edited by vee.5609
add metrics
  • Haha 1

It's failing to create bin64\cef\CefHost.exe. Delete the bin64 folder to reset it and make sure any security software isn't interfering.

If you happen to be running multiple accounts, this used to be a problem years ago where 2 clients launched at the same time would cause one to crash when both tried to read/write at the same time. I noticed this patch is no longer sharing CefHost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

It's failing to create bin64\cef\CefHost.exe. Delete the bin64 folder to reset it and make sure any security software isn't interfering.

If you happen to be running multiple accounts, this used to be a problem years ago where 2 clients launched at the same time would cause one to crash when both tried to read/write at the same time. I noticed this patch is no longer sharing CefHost.

Tried that didnt work unfortunately. I can't get past loading screen

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warduke.7865 said:

I can't get past loading screen

First ensure you're not using any outdated addons. Open the folder where GW2 is located and simply delete everything except files that begin with Gw2 (specifically Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat are the only files you need).

If you mean the launcher is stuck on initializing, that's when it switches to CEF. You can revert to using CoherentUI by launching with:

-usecoherent

If you mean the game is crashing on character select, worst case, try DX9:

-dx9

36 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

First ensure you're not using any outdated addons. Open the folder where GW2 is located and simply delete everything except files that begin with Gw2 (specifically Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat are the only files you need).

If you mean the launcher is stuck on initializing, that's when it switches to CEF. You can revert to using CoherentUI by launching with:

-usecoherent

If you mean the game is crashing on character select, worst case, try DX9:

-dx9

never used addons, currently make it to character screen then hit play and then gw2 not responding

11 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

no; sadly this is a problem that happened overnight due to the patch; no addons, no 3rd party software, permissions. just straight up gw2 failing at opening due to CEF

can you elaborate on "this patch is no longer sharing CefHost" ?

lol i can see that CefHost.exe was updated on their latest small hotfix; so some work was done do it - good old fasioned bug introduced.

Edited by vee.5609

7 hours ago, vee.5609 said:

can you elaborate on "this patch is no longer sharing CefHost" ?

Prior to this patch, if the files in the cef folder couldn't be written to, it didn't matter as long as the file sizes matched. After the patch, if the files can't be written to, it'll create a new cef folder, which is 276 MB. This is only notable if you're running multiple accounts at the same time.

If you think CEF is the problem, the quickest solution is reverting to CoherentUI:

-usecoherent

yea i see it now; the TEMP folder spam has increased on its level of redicelousness and all my users share the same TEMP folder path for easier cleanup. i presume these folders of regex format `chrome_BITS_[0-9]{5}-[0-9]+` are also part of CeF; time to add more kitten to auto delete on startup

• Sad 1

hmm - i might have gotten lucky with a 3/3 success rate not too long ago, but i think this might be actually working now without anything fancy. (it was certainly not working 8-10hrs ago as I do recall it crashing)

• Confused 1

• vee.5609 changed the title to intermittent crash on opening launcher ( CEF ) [ninja-fixed?]
  • vee.5609 changed the title to intermittent crash on opening launcher ( CEF )

a slight, albiet still very anoying workaround when using `-shareArchive` => get the launcher up and loaded but do not get to a character select window on any of them. this allows the `-shareArchive` to work as expected; however as soon as you get to a character select window, the CeFHost.exe is written to each time the game is opened... may i suggest not writing to an exe path every time the game loads  - maybe use a sha of some sort for file integrity checking?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I noticed GW2 was was creating extra cache folders for no reason. When bin64/cef/CefHost.exe can't be written to, CefHost.exe is relocated to the gw2cache folder. Here's the funny part - GW2 tries to write to CefHost.exe after clicking play, when GW2 is already using it.

This applies to everyone. Every patch, GW2 creates a new gw2cache folder and every launch, CEF (276 MB) is copied to this folder for no reason (the files aren't used).

• Sad 1