I can't download the GW 2 using the installer.

Hi folks. I downloaded the client from my account. I have the installer saved in it's own folder on my desktop. When I double click and run it as admin, it created some temporary files and a bin64 file. However, it will not download the game client. It sits at 0kb/s and gives me "connection errors retrying" or something to that affect. I have no issues with anything else on my system and my connection is running fine. I have played GW2 since launch, but recently upgraded my PC and no luck.

I have followed the instruction from a thread from 2021, turned off antivirus, firewalls, etc...

Edited by Momotaro.1957
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Momotaro.1957 said:

Here is a screenshot of the error. The client it from my account page.

https://imgur.com/5LQW2pD

That error is when the client can't connect to the assert servers at all.

You didn't modify your /etc/hosts file, did you?  Because that no longer is available.

You can check what the IP addresses to the CDN local to you are currently:
https://dnschecker.org/#A/assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

You can check if your system can connect at all by trying to access:
http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest/101

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Momotaro.1957 said:

Thank you. I cannot access http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest/101. It won't load. I don't believe I modified anything, outside of deleting the things mentioned here. I followed this since I had uninstalled the game with the intention of moving it to a new SSD using a clean install. 

Yea, if your browser can't bring up that URL, there's a basic networking connectivity issue between your computer and the asset server.

You'll want to check that your computer is at least resolving to one of the current IPs shown from dnschecker.org.

Open a command prompt and type "nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com".  Match the results with dnschecker.org.

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Yea, if your browser can't bring up that URL, there's a basic networking connectivity issue between your computer and the asset server.

You'll want to check that your computer is at least resolving to one of the current IPs shown from dnschecker.org.

Open a command prompt and type "nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com".  Match the results with dnschecker.org.

DNS checker seemed to come out fine. I ran the address in cmd prompt and got this: 

Server:  SmithLAN
Address:  My IP Address 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com
Addresses:  99.86.37.92

Edited by Momotaro.1957

Resolved. I found resetting hosts running this prompt echo.>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts might help. It indeed helped. I appreciate the effort with helping me!

Arenanet, finding this solution shouldn't have needed to take this much effort.

Edited by Momotaro.1957
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sixto.7298 said:

If Cant download game follow these steps

Got it to download kind of don't want to play any more though lol

So the steps in this video worked sort of for you?  You behind some sort of DNS proxy or DNS-based firewall/parental controls filter or what?  If your resolver isn't resolving the IP for assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com, that's a configuration problem on your end or with your ISP.

Edited by Chaba.5410

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know. Nothing from those fixes worked for me. Last time, me and my friend had same issue, but with patching game and were able to resolve with host.txt. Today I wanted to play game after like 6 months or so and my game can't be patched because it shows 0 kb download.  So, I uninstalled and wanted to reinstall, same issue. Tried everything to no avail. I don't know why this persists in 2023 and only with Guild Wars 2.  I have no issue with connecting or downloading anything else. 

To me, this issue looks more from dev side rather than from our. Wasted almost 2 hours to somehow fix it and nothing. I don't know if new players would have time to search for fix. This is stupid error and shouldn't exist

EDIT: So I went to this website http://assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101 and tried to see what will happen. At first it didn't connect with error that connection wasn't possible. I left it like this for 1 min and page itself reloaded, showed me numbers and launcher started to download. So someone should try it too. I still can't figure it out why this happened. I reported this issue to support too 

Edited by Raiveris.7612