Try to sell this game's pvp to someone

Bardock.4718

I have come to realize that the issue does not lie with my class, but rather with the game mode I am currently playing.

Consider the scenario where you are a salesperson attempting to promote PvP to someone while maintaining a decent reputation.

We require substantial content for PvP and WvW and NO Cosmetics and Rewards ain't gonna cut it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm pretty sure that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Even getting someone from PvE to come over to PvP is a crusade on its own because their perception of PvP is that it is a toxic mess full of vitriol, hate, and entitled people that aren't looking for friendly competition.

People coming in from other games drop it the second they touch it because there's no competitive integrity and outlet for them to compete in. Think back to Summit when he played. Comedy gold, and not intentionally.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I mean…I know most people don’t like pain. They don’t like difficulty or conflict or feeling incompetent. And I’m going to be honest with you, that’s pretty much all this PvP mode is. Pain. And misery. And feeling at times like you are completely lost in a forest of neon lights.

But you aren’t like most people are you? Because you can see it; through the pain and the flashes of light that may or may not be capable of inducing epileptic seizures, through the rage towards your opponents and yourself, through it all you can see it; the sweet sweet ecstasy of victory.

Careful, once you taste it, touch it, let it penetrate deep within you, you’ll be addicted. The feeling of winning that fight by the skin of your teeth with only 500 health left, landing that bulls rush after having 5 dodged or blocked or blinded or invulned. If you’ve felt it, you know what I’m talking about. It’s the reason that through the mountains of salt and puddles of human filth, you still play; you still try. Because even just one hit is enough to give you hope for another. And you know what? It’s worth it.

So why should you play PvP? Don’t. You don’t want to. Because once you feel those feelings, you can’t go back to pve or whatever boring kitten you enjoy doing. So you shouldn’t play PvP, because it will kitten your life up and there is no going back.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go duel a SA thief with a warrior 300 times in the hopes of winning once. But it’ll be worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

“We get out of life what we put into it. The way we treat others is the way we ourselves get treated.”

What have The Community got out of Anet 11 years+ reputation?

How has Anet 11 years+ reputation has treated The PvP and WvW Community?

“You can't buy a good reputation; you must earn it.”

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I mean…I know most people don’t like pain. They don’t like difficulty or conflict or feeling incompetent. And I’m going to be honest with you, that’s pretty much all this PvP mode is. Pain. And misery. And feeling at times like you are completely lost in a forest of neon lights.

But you aren’t like most people are you? Because you can see it; through the pain and the flashes of light that may or may not be capable of inducing epileptic seizures, through the rage towards your opponents and yourself, through it all you can see it; the sweet sweet ecstasy of victory.

Careful, once you taste it, touch it, let it penetrate deep within you, you’ll be addicted. The feeling of winning that fight by the skin of your teeth with only 500 health left, landing that bulls rush after having 5 dodged or blocked or blinded or invulned. If you’ve felt it, you know what I’m talking about. It’s the reason that through the mountains of salt and puddles of human filth, you still play; you still try. Because even just one hit is enough to give you hope for another. And you know what? It’s worth it.

So why should you play PvP? Don’t. You don’t want to. Because once you feel those feelings, you can’t go back to pve or whatever boring kitten you enjoy doing. So you shouldn’t play PvP, because it will kitten your life up and there is no going back.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go duel a SA thief with a warrior 300 times in the hopes of winning once. But it’ll be worth it. 

Sold.

• Like 2

I got into PVP because of one single reason, and that was standardized stats where everybody was on an even playing field. To me, this is the biggest selling point of GW2 PVP.

I was sick of PVP in other MMOs where credit card swipers were wiping the floor with everyone else or where the PVP gear was locked behind a high rating (wow). I can't imagine how you can even call this PVP. This is pure lowbie bashing.

For all its problems GW2 still has better and fairer PVP than every other MMO.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 2:56 PM, Bardock.4718 said:

I have come to realize that the issue does not lie with my class, but rather with the game mode I am currently playing.

Consider the scenario where you are a salesperson attempting to promote PvP to someone while maintaining a decent reputation.

We require substantial content for PvP and WvW and NO Cosmetics and Rewards ain't gonna cut it.

Oh never mind gw2! How about selling people the idea of online multiplayer with the epic collapse of Overwatch 2!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:57 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Oh never mind gw2! How about selling people the idea of online multiplayer with the epic collapse of Overwatch 2!

You may be onto something here when it comes to online multiplayer.

Call me crazy, giggle if you will, but competitive multiplayer will never die so long as the game of Monopoly exists.

There is no truer competitive test of character and sportsmanship than the board game Monopoly. It has the power to make beasts of men, and even if players conspire, it offers them no competitive advantage. That's what competition is all about baby. 💪

• Thanks 1

Just now, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

You may be onto something here when it comes to online multiplayer.

Call me crazy, giggle if you will, but competitive multiplayer will never die so long as the game of Monopoly exists.

There is no truer competitive test of character and sportsmanship than the board game Monopoly. It has the power to make beasts of men, and even if players conspire, it offers them no competitive advantage. That's what competition is all about baby. 💪

Note that I said online competitive multiplayer! Of course competition will exist! It's just that the novelty and convenience of online multiplayer will not be enough of a sell anymore. People know the flaws now.

Also, Monopoly was more than a board game, it was a teacher. It taught you how capitalism works! Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. (Source: https://www.npr.org/2023/01/25/1151367036/story-monopoly-american-capitalism )

And never forget: Monopoly is a zero-sum game.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:56 PM, Bardock.4718 said:

after 100h+ pvp , several seasons worth of gameplay over 3 years. I figured out how to pvp;

1-Play casually regardless of what you do you have a solid 50% win rate

2- Play your best 60% win rate

3- Double queue 70% win rate

• Thanks 2

As an spvp veteran, who stopped playing (mostly) there is not much you can do to sell me on spvp, in its current state. It is a CC infested, imbalanced mess. And there has been a single new map in the last 4 years. Class balance patches are slow and mostly inconsequential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Note that I said online competitive multiplayer! Of course competition will exist! It's just that the novelty and convenience of online multiplayer will not be enough of a sell anymore. People know the flaws now.

Yeah, online competitive multiplayer is a dying breed I feel. Devs don't make any effort to preserve the competitive integrity of their games, so you'll get games like Overwatch 2 that set a terrible example and normalize things like Duo, Trio, or even full premade teams going up against random soloqs.

It becomes team up to win instead of be good and get better to win and then they try to make an Esport out of it, it fails and they blow their budget, and then leave the game to fester and die slowly. For any competitive game/sport to succeed it has to be fun first and fair second and I think devs do a poor job at balancing both in the year 2023.

That's also why I love Monopoly 😈💰

1 hour ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Also, Monopoly was more than a board game, it was a teacher. It taught you how capitalism works! Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. (Source: https://www.npr.org/2023/01/25/1151367036/story-monopoly-american-capitalism )

And never forget: Monopoly is a zero-sum game.

😌🙏It is and it is glorious

That being said, Monopoly and Ranked sPvP have a lot in common. Its a shame that fairness isn't one of those commonalities.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm... how would you go about selling pvp to someone? Well I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I think these kind of people freqent reddit and discord if you want to buy. Also I've heard the price has gone up recently.

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

Yeah, online competitive multiplayer is a dying breed I feel. Devs don't make any effort to preserve the competitive integrity of their games, so you'll get games like Overwatch 2 that set a terrible example and normalize things like Duo, Trio, or even full premade teams going up against random soloqs.

It becomes team up to win instead of be good and get better to win and then they try to make an Esport out of it, it fails and they blow their budget, and then leave the game to fester and die slowly. For any competitive game/sport to succeed it has to be fun first and fair second and I think devs do a poor job at balancing both in the year 2023.

That's also why I love Monopoly 😈💰

😌🙏It is and it is glorious

That being said, Monopoly and Ranked sPvP have a lot in common. Its a shame that fairness isn't one of those commonalities.

It's not only team-to-win, it's pay-to-win. Been a while since I've not read THIS phrase. It worries me. If you do not buy the expansions and the elite specs they bring, you do not stand a snowball's chance in spvp modes. Period.

I called spvp pay-to-win years ago. People denied it then.

And I will say this, Monopoly builds character. As I've said, it is more of a teacher. It is also honest. If I can't have a fair game, at least it should be honest. gw2 multiplayer, though, is dishonest. It is horsesh.it.

22 hours ago, thc enjoyer.4976 said:

Would you rather sit on a cake and suck a dilbo or suck a cake and sit on a dilbo? 

Is probably the most apt way to describe the game to a newcomer. Really let them weigh in their options on the experience. 

Did you mean dill doughs? A lot of folks find them quite fulfilling in texture and molding. The right mixture is key for that cake, you know...

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2