Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Disappointed about no memory of Trahearne


Tinker.6924

Recommended Posts

edit:  this thread should definitely have a spoiler alert 
 

I too was very disappointed in the memories you could select from.  I had a hard time choosing my third because of how little I cared about any of them.  I ended up choosing Cinder, but I didn’t even remember who that was until the dialogue, then I was like oh yeah…

 

They seem to have left off a lot of meaningful characters from this. 

Edited by Stx.4857
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those were optional memories since you didn't have to do them all. Trahearne appears later as a mandatory memory. 

I don't really understand the hate for him and he has the best looking Sylvari face but I'm used to liking unpopular things I guess, like Thief. XD

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

edit:  this thread should definitely have a spoiler alert 
 

I too was very disappointed in the memories you could select from.  I had a hard time choosing my third because of how little I cared about any of them.  I ended up choosing Cinder, but I didn’t even remember who that was until the dialogue, then I was like oh yeah…

 

They seem to have left off a lot of meaningful characters from this. 

spoilers for heart of thorns and end of dragons

they didn't include characters who we already had closure for, like eir, trahearne, etc. we had their memorials, some of them we also met as ghosts or echoes afterwards, and there's really not much to do there. the options presented to the player were about the deaths we were never able to reconcile with.

 

that's why some of them appear at the end, because they're the happy memories.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It makes sense to not include people that already got used a lot. And that is what lead to some weird choices I guess. Since we did not have a lot of other stuff later where there was a lot of drama.

At the very end they even appeared though. Some chars from the own story. I think even the order mentor - at the last fight when it is your turn with the memories stuff to attack the boss and channel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trahearne is better than any of these current "companion characters" they shove down our throats today.

Even Aurene is a horrible design. Infact I'd go so far as to say aurene takes everything people hated about trahearne and intensifys it by over a thousand. She's the ultimate I win button, lazy writing, horrible dialog.

So ya, give me plant marshall back anyday over this horrible cast.

 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

im pretty sure that the dialog especially specified that we are dealing with newer memories that have been left unresolved. so a traumatic event from almost decade ago that was already brought closure to was not relevant for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you lose someone close there's never a "resolved" state, just a "moved on" and an "acceptance"; it's a survival mechanism and we have to in order to keep going in our lives. Still when you think back on the moments you had with that person, there's a large range of emotions and regret will be one.

There is no resolved.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, when and where did we ever "resolve" Trahearne's death, anyway? As far as I can see, he was pretty much ignored completely. Eir got a very nice memorial scene plus a ghost scene plus several references throughout the story, plus Braham's entire character arc LS3 - LS4. Trahearne got... an optional side quest that wasn't even really about him? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, Tinker.6924 said:

When you lose someone close there's never a "resolved" state, just a "moved on" and an "acceptance"; it's a survival mechanism and we have to in order to keep going in our lives. Still when you think back on the moments you had with that person, there's a large range of emotions and regret will be one.

There is no resolved.

As literally brought up by the story episodes.

"Resolved" meaning that when the Demon calls on it, it's not this huge juicy wellspring of emotions and thoughts. As literally explained and showcased within the episodes to anybody paying attention.

First the demon tries the mentor, it barely works. Then it tries Eir. Slightly more, but still barely anything. It tries Almorra, which is juicier and feeds it some more before the commander passes out.

24 minutes ago, Fenella.2634 said:

Also, when and where did we ever "resolve" Trahearne's death, anyway? As far as I can see, he was pretty much ignored completely. Eir got a very nice memorial scene plus a ghost scene plus several references throughout the story, plus Braham's entire character arc LS3 - LS4. Trahearne got... an optional side quest that wasn't even really about him? 

Knights of the Thorn was entirely about him and restoring his sword.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knight of the Thorn was about Caladbolg, not about Trahearne. He appeared, yes, but so did Riannoc. It was explicitly stated they were only memories of the sword, not even ghosts. It had nothing to do with them as people, just the sword. 

Also, it was a completely optional side story. Very little, compared to other main characters. And I know some people didn't like him much, but there can't be any doubt he was a main character until HoT. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2023 at 7:59 PM, Tinker.6924 said:

I got Mai Tran? Wha?  I felt nothing for her in the story but Trahearne's death.... that meant something to me at least.  At you gave us Blish's memory.

Disappointed anet.

The idea presented in WLB is that the Commander has come to terms with the Order mentor's / Trahearne's death (not surprising given how many times the Commander is faced with guilt trips over them), so it makes sense they don't show up until the final battle to reprise the WLB guilt trip alongside Eir and Almorra.

A bit weirder that we didn't have Eir and Almorra being mandatory, since the Commander was so heavily affected by them in the fight.

Would have been nice to have all four of those as options though. Among others, like the greatest fear arc. As well as some moments that didn't involve someone's death - like Braham's betrayal in Season 3, or reflecting on the meeting with Zafirah and the idea of knowing they might have killed Zafirah's friends.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked that Trahearne's presence was minimal. I prefer that they'll never touch him again. Many players don't like him, so it's fine to don't mention him, while others like him a lot, so.. it's better not to mention him as well 🙂

I just didn't understand why I should be sorry for

Spoiler

Cinder

.

Edited by Urud.4925
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

I liked that Trahearne's presence was minimal. I prefer that they'll never touch him again. Many players don't like him, so it's fine to don't mention him, while others like him a lot, so.. it's better not to mention him as well 🙂

I just didn't understand why I should be sorry for

  Hide contents

Cinder

.

It's not "Feeling sorry for Cinder" It's feeling remorse over the entire situation, and how it could've gone better if Smodur hadn't killed her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...