Special ops armor is great - Thanks ArenaNet

I would love to make the set if not for the fact that I already crafted all 3 of the exotic sets a month ago - and of couse salvaged them after unlocking the skin.

I really dont want to craft them again wasting hundreds of gold for nothing.

Why not make it available if you got the skin unlocked Anet? Am i supposed to hoard every single exotic I craft for it might be needed in the future?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Raithwall.8201 said:

I would love to make the set if not for the fact that I already crafted all 3 of the exotic sets a month ago - and of couse salvaged them after unlocking the skin.

Why not make it available if you got the skin unlocked Anet? Am i supposed to hoard every single exotic I craft for it might be needed in the future?

You should save them for maps that are not fully released. 

We have seen it before in icebrood saga where a single gear was upgraded multiple times. 

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

You should save them for maps that are not fully released. 

We have seen it before in icebrood saga where a single gear was upgraded multiple times. 

Only one tier actually was dependant on physical posession of weapons from the previous one. They acknowledged that as a mistake then, added an easier, secondary way to get those weapons after you had a skin unlocked, and changed requirement for the following tier as well.

Apparently this time they have forgotten the lesson they said they learned then.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Raithwall.8201 said:

You only need one set of armor. Unlocked Spec ops Armor also unlocks the other tiers. Light, middle, heavy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Only one tier actually was dependant on physical posession of weapons from the previous one. They acknowledged that as a mistake then, added an easier, secondary way to get those weapons after you had a skin unlocked, and changed requirement for the following tier as well.

Apparently this time they have forgotten the lesson they said they learned then.

Ah alright. I never crafted the full set. Because two were enough for me already lol. 

22 hours ago, Hecksler Der Henker.9280 said:

You only need one set of armor. Unlocked Spec ops Armor also unlocks the other tiers. Light, middle, heavy.

Right, and when I noticed that, I immediately wondered why the merchant is selling skins for 70k karma plus 125 research notes. Seems like a very expensive way to get a limited choice transmutation charge.

5 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Right, and when I noticed that, I immediately wondered why the merchant is selling skins for 70k karma plus 125 research notes. Seems like a very expensive way to get a limited choice transmutation charge.

For people who cant be bothered to craft the armors maybe?

Have not gotten any piece yet. I like it though. Does not look that bad. And I might actually use it - not get it only for completion. The way the achievements are set up remind a bit of the one from Silverwastes. Though less doing the same stuff here - sending you to other maps instead.

The cost is ... doable I guess. Unless you are totally new. There is way expensier stuff in the game. Still not something that I (long-time player but I do not really farm ... focus on completing stuff on multiple chars) can/want just pay directly. Selling a bit mats from my storage and crafting one or two things myself (the pre-armor where I did not even unlock any skins yet - luckily) is the option I choose.

Like that it sends you to other EoD maps. They often use this approache to keep certain events alive. Some of them I never even did once. I think the Janin one in Kaineng. Also nice that it requires some previous armor. I only did the super cheap one. Recently I completed fishing doing the lighting/lantern achievements once (for the AP) and the shrine guardians (for the pet) - I had the grindier/long-term stuff (armor needs a bit money and I also want to buy the recipes and craft it myself - for recipe completion to also have them unlocked) done previously. Might focus on some older armor/weapon sets stuff now next.

The require fractals are okay. Actually I just did up until T2. Stopped at the beginning of T3 and focused on other stuff. (That was before EoD and the mechanist got released - where PvE even is easier now with the bot lol.) Might pick up some dailies progressing in T3 soon. I enjoy the bigger fractals - especially Sunqua the last boss. For new players it should be not hard to get in the T1 for the first 3 armor parts (should be enough with other achievements ... to complete the meta achievement from that chapter).

So ... yeah ... I like the way the achievements are set up. Fun to complete. Not tooo annoying/hard/espensive - a good mix of money needed and stuff to do. They should add another "fractal rush" - we didn't have a rush in a long time. This is what got me to try out fractals back then. (I usually avoid group content like that. Probably will never do raids. The easy IBS strikes and fractals are good though and I might also do the old dungeons in the future for a bit of completions. Need to find the time for that. Busy with many other things.)

Edit: If the achievement unlocks all 3 weights at once the additional vendor option really seems weird. Thought you'd do it once - to only need the pre-armor for one part. Then unlock one and after completion you could buy the other ones from the vendor for a cheaper option - but still needing to buy/unlock them.

And I can see that it is annoying for people that already did the old armor and salvaged it. I guess those are the parts where ArenaNet also intends a bit to make it easier for new players. (Should they plan ahead.) Will be a bit of a gap where the player that already completed them has a bit of an advantage since they now needed to spend more. But they also had more time to play and to have fun with the old armor when they actually used it some point in the past.

Edited by Luthan.5236

10 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Have not gotten any piece yet. I like it though. Does not look that bad. And I might actually use it - not get it only for completion. The way the achievements are set up remind a bit of the one from Silverwastes. Though less doing the same stuff here - sending you to other maps instead.

The cost is ... doable I guess. Unless you are totally new. There is way expensier stuff in the game. Still not something that I (long-time player but I do not really farm ... focus on completing stuff on multiple chars) can/want just pay directly. Selling a bit mats from my storage and crafting one or two things myself (the pre-armor where I did not even unlock any skins yet - luckily) is the option I choose.

Like that it sends you to other EoD maps. They often use this approache to keep certain events alive. Some of them I never even did once. I think the Janin one in Kaineng. Also nice that it requires some previous armor. I only did the super cheap one. Recently I completed fishing doing the lighting/lantern achievements once (for the AP) and the shrine guardians (for the pet) - I had the grindier/long-term stuff (armor needs a bit money and I also want to buy the recipes and craft it myself - for recipe completion to also have them unlocked) done previously. Might focus on some older armor/weapon sets stuff now next.

The require fractals are okay. Actually I just did up until T2. Stopped at the beginning of T3 and focused on other stuff. (That was before EoD and the mechanist got released - where PvE even is easier now with the bot lol.) Might pick up some dailies progressing in T3 soon. I enjoy the bigger fractals - especially Sunqua the last boss. For new players it should be not hard to get in the T1 for the first 3 armor parts (should be enough with other achievements ... to complete the meta achievement from that chapter).

So ... yeah ... I like the way the achievements are set up. Fun to complete. Not tooo annoying/hard/espensive - a good mix of money needed and stuff to do. They should add another "fractal rush" - we didn't have a rush in a long time. This is what got me to try out fractals back then. (I usually avoid group content like that. Probably will never do raids. The easy IBS strikes and fractals are good though and I might also do the old dungeons in the future for a bit of completions. Need to find the time for that. Busy with many other things.)

Edit: If the achievement unlocks all 3 weights at once the additional vendor option really seems weird. Thought you'd do it once - to only need the pre-armor for one part. Then unlock one and after completion you could buy the other ones from the vendor for a cheaper option - but still needing to buy/unlock them.

And I can see that it is annoying for people that already did the old armor and salvaged it. I guess those are the parts where ArenaNet also intends a bit to make it easier for new players. (Should they plan ahead.) Will be a bit of a gap where the player that already completed them has a bit of an advantage since they now needed to spend more. But they also had more time to play and to have fun with the old armor when they actually used it some point in the past.

What do you mean used it its mostly insta salvage with silver-fed salve-o-matic or mystic kit mate.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, Raithwall.8201 said:

Fortunately, the art style of this set is so totally out of touch with the genre (this ain't a sci-fi ego shooter), so I don't have to worry about that. 😁

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

14 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

What do you mean used it its mostly insta salvage with silver-fed salve-o-matic or mystic kit mate.

Oh, I meant "salvaging". I guess people usually salvage to automatically unlock the skin and get rid of the gear (since they use other gear and get it only for the skin). While some might keep it ... to use it for the stats. (Maybe new players that have limited resources. But they might not craft it in the first place.)

For people that did not craft it yet - they are lucky and can unlock the skin in the right-click menu. Then use the armor to purchase the thing from the vendor.

@Ashantara.8731Might be fun though for Star Wars fans maybe. If they like to roleplay lol. Some guild doing a storm trooper squad/team (squad leader has the captain armor) going in to PvP lol. 🤣

Edited by Luthan.5236

Armor set and quest/collection to get it is great.

It is on the expensive side but having or not having the armor set does not improve or worsen one's game experience.

The collection having bugged events though is an issue. You may be blocked from completing a collection all because dynamic event #2 of 3 is stuck in an endless loop and the only work around is to try and find another map instance where it is not broken.

These sort of collections are great for engaging players in less popular event chains and for world building as we are acting as a Special Ops team member helping to resolve Canthan problems.

This however is not a good thing when the events have not been properly checked to make sure they aren't broken. It just draws attention to the fact that too much of EoD content has been left in a poor state because the devs are stretched too thin and need to work on the next big thing endlessly.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:57 PM, Tiviana.2650 said:

I will be working on it it will take some time,  but im not going anywhere 

I will be going somewhere for sure if the current trend of horrendous design choices continues. The current dev team is completely ruining the world of Tyria for me by catering to furries, anime and pop culture lovers, and people who obviously want to play a cyberpunk and sci-fi clone instead of a fantasy RPG. Not to mention their complete ignorance of color theory and what goes well with what.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I will be going somewhere for sure if the current trend of horrendous design choices continues. The current dev team is completely ruining the world of Tyria for me by catering to furries, anime and pop culture lovers, and people who obviously want to play a cyberpunk and sci-fi clone instead of a fantasy RPG. Not to mention their complete ignorance of color theory and what goes well with what.

You may not like it but many others do and they will design what pleases most people. 
One armor does not make this game a cyberpunk or sci fi clone, you seem to have a rather limited understanding what fantasy can be. It doesn’t have to be an 18th century imagination of medieval Europe, it can be so much more. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The current dev team is completely ruining the world of Tyria for me by catering to (...)  pop culture lovers, and people who obviously want to play (...) and sci-fi clone instead of a fantasy RPG.

The special ops armor is not my cup of tea but you do know, that GW2 is not a pure "high fantasy" RPG and even the core game already has all of this in it, in some way?

Remember the ascalonian catacombs dungeon path 2 where  you grab the gun off the floor, pickup some ectoplasm with it, drag it into the trap. Everyone has backpacks on and lasers shooting out of the guns while this is happening. This is sci-fi and a pop culture reference to the movie Ghostbusters.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean if there was a point that Arenanet got carried away with things that might be considered "furry" or "anime" and "pop culture" then that all happened a long time ago.

Heck many of the skills from GW1 were pop culture references.

The Special Ops armor works aesthetically given the current setting we are in. Had they released this with the core game and tried to say this was the Special Lion Guard armor set then I would find it out of place.

This is an armor set that was made from materials that resulted from a collaboration of Elder Dragons and their magic with human innovation. They have reactors powering massive cities here.

At the end of the day, if someone really, really can't stand the armor then they don't have to wear it. They can set other players as simple models or simply not play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Between this and the flood of gem store stuff it really does feel like this game just doesn't actually have an art style anymore and is starting to look really cheap and generic, which is a shame considering how renowned the original GW was for its art direction and concept art. Like they didn't even remotely try and make this set look like part of the same universe or even Canthan or even in line with other jade tech (which was already aesthetically questionable). It's literally just a knockoff Halo armor suit randomly thrown into a fantasy universe. At least they used to keep the dumb fan service confined to microtransactions.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4