Accepting the fact that I will never obtain a skyscale.

Someone wants a LEGENDARY collection to go down to a few clicks, normal to please a few who have no patience, I enjoyed researching and doing the jump tests that sometimes took me a day, but I was happy to get it together with my clan who shook my hand
This set needs no to be nerfed more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Player with 2k+ in game hours(4k+ hours?): " Spending 30-50 hours for a mount is absolutely reasonable."

Edit: A lot of 4k+ playtime players seem to be indeed confused.

It took me about 5 hours of playtime to get the Skyscale thanks to the Return to LWS4 achievements, the first time some years ago it took me ~10 hours.

If people stopped complaining about it being difficult, too expensive, too long - whatever the weekly complaint is - then they will also see the time drastically decrease.

You don't get the Griffon right away either, yet I see no whining about the 250 gold being too much or too hard/long to get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

It took me about 5 hours of playtime to get the Skyscale thanks to the Return to LWS4 achievements, the first time some years ago it took me ~10 hours.

You completed all return achievements, All collection, all the jumping puzzles, farmed the treats in under 5 hours? No you didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

Just now, SlayerXX.7138 said:

You completed all return achievements, All collection, all the jumping puzzles, farmed the treats in under 5 hours? No you didn't.

I didn't think I would need to explain it to you, but here we go:

• Return to LWS4 achievements gave me the materials and gold needed, not like there's much gold you need to spend. 
  • Instead of sweating about getting the Skyscale and coming here weekly to complain that I actually need to play the game I was actually playing the game, wild concept, I know. Playing GW2 to get items in GW2.
    • Spend like 2 hours finishing the second collection, Make the items needed, whatever, figure it out.
    • Do the third collection by literally caring about it for like a minute each time. Do something else. craft, buy items needed, do metas, up to you
    • Run around doing jumping puzzles, play with the thing
    • Do the last collection in less than an hour

5 hours may be generous, but unless you are trying to do it without mounts and only playing because of the collection it's extremely difficult to get it above 20 hours. The first time I got my Skyscale it took me 5 days total, 2 out of those 5 were spent at home with my family, away from my PC. 

As I said, the easier method of getting the Skyscale is playing the game, not whining here that you need to play the game. Anet's been giving out the episodes, they literally give you the most tedious part of the collection as well for free, just play the game.
If this is horrendous grind or a huge time commitment for you then you most certainly shouldn't really play anything other than shooters to save yourself from that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

There is a level 80 scroll, so players can play in expansions maps from the start without leveling, with EoD players get Raptor and Springer mount without having to buy PoF

Bzzt.. We get the raptor which I got at a very early level.. but I didn't 'just get' the springer.. I had to level some of the masteries so I could get canyon jumping and get to the area where the springers are.. Then I had to go through that quest for the one who sells the mount.

• Confused 3

32 minutes ago, tahana.5483 said:

Bzzt.. We get the raptor which I got at a very early level.. but I didn't 'just get' the springer.. I had to level some of the masteries so I could get canyon jumping and get to the area where the springers are.. Then I had to go through that quest for the one who sells the mount.

"with EoD players get Raptor and Springer mount without having to buy PoF "

Players who skip previous expansions and go into eod still DO get raptor and springer. No "bzzt", he was correct. 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Only considering time actively playing, it's unlikely to spend that much time on the Skyscale.

But if you include the time gates, the Skyscale will easily surpass 50 hours.

time gates don't cost you time, you do other stuff that you enjoy doing while waiting for a perceived timegate.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Return to LWS4 achievements gave me the materials and gold needed, not like there's much gold you need to spend.

These things cost time.

6 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Probably with wiki open or Taco. May be even less with taco, but it sure does feel like 30min+.

8 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

5 hours may be generous, but unless you are trying to do it without mounts and only playing because of the collection it's extremely difficult to get it above 20 hours.

So I was right, still got downvotedXD. Without Wiki/taco and actually counting the time to acquire the Resources you probably% go over 20. 50 may been a little high. I guess if you do the events/bosses in the chain anyway you could subtract time.

45 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

As I said, the easier method of getting the Skyscale is playing the game, not whining here that you need to play the game.

Well the forum likes to repeat if you want the thing you need to put in the work. And if you don't have 2k+ hours to spread the skyscale journey over you need to focus a little. Also I'm not whining I'm complaining about kitten games design. I probably own it anyway. Who knows.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

15 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Well there it is.

He's correct though, when there's a timegate in skyscale, the player can either do literally anything they want ingame or just log out and not play at all. Counting that into acquisition time while complaining about "grind" is nonsense.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I had most of the materials from doing the Return to Achievements. Real world time for me to get the skyscale was about 2-3 weeks, mostly playing on weekends.
It takes time, but it isn't insurmountable. Just do a collection here and there. I found the initial 3 collections really tedious (run around Dragonfall over and over and over), but after that it wasn't too bad. And going from the wiki, it seems a lot more work than it actually ends up being.
There's very little in game you need the Skyscale for (you can get around with other mounts almost as easily). So if you choose not to go through the work, that's okay too. It's a game. Have fun. Don't feel like you need to collect anything you don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tahana.5483 said:

That is the key word..  We don't GET anything but the raptor. 

False, playing through EoD also unlocks the springer and gliding, I recently linked it somewhere too:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gliding#End_of_Dragons
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Springer#End_of_Dragons
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raptor#End_of_Dragons

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

time gates don't cost you time, you do other stuff that you enjoy doing while waiting for a perceived timegate.

While that's technically true, it's still time that passes between start and finish. And it's not perceived time gates, but a literal ones.

You can only feed the Skyscale every six hours, which was 24 hours at first (if I remember correctly).

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

These things cost time.

You play games for fun, not as your job. As soon as you consider just playing around instead of working on a certain thing as something that costs you it is time to turn the game off and take a break.

51 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Probably with wiki open or Taco. May be even less with taco, but it sure does feel like 30min+.

The second time yes. The community makes guide for a reason, to allow you to get something faster, easier. The first time I used a guide made by players for something was in Metin2 in 2006. 

53 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

So I was right, still got downvotedXD. Without Wiki/taco and actually counting the time to acquire the Resources you probably% go over 20. 50 may been a little high. I guess if you do the events/bosses in the chain anyway you could subtract time.

Unless the 30-50 magically turns into 15-20 you were nowhere near right. 

54 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Well the forum likes to repeat if you want the thing you need to put in the work. And if you don't have 2k+ hours to spread the skyscale journey over you need to focus a little. Also I'm not whining I'm complaining about kitten games design. I probably own it anyway. Who knows.

The less time you played the more you can pad the journey out with. Stop pretending that the Skyscale is some elite, difficult mount that requires insane game expereince to get. 

• Like 5

Just now, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

The less time you played the more you can pad the journey out with. Stop pretending that the Skyscale is some elite, difficult mount that requires insane game expereince to get. 

How did you get the idea that I imply that skyscale is elite. It is long and tedious. I didn't imply anything, I said your enormous game time makes the skyscale Journey in your eyes shorter and less tedious then it is. Go on your main account check your playtime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

He's correct though, when there's a timegate in skyscale, the player can either do literally anything they want ingame or just log out and not play at all. Counting that into acquisition time while complaining about "grind" is nonsense.

I don’t think there’s a debate about time being spent. 

To go back to the original point of the OP, the main issue is that for new players/returners, doing the Skyscale grind leads him to a burnout. 

And this is a common theme.  If you look at videos, it’s common to see this as the top-rated comment. So I think the OP’s point is - how can we have a better game design to allow people to get Skyscale that will not burn out players? Imagine how many new players quit because they are grinding Skyscale.

And with GW2 actively trying to get new players, the answer does not seem to be “please slowly play the game and naturally get it over 10 years”. 

Gaming market is already devastated by the mobile and short-attention span, TikTok generation. Can it afford not to have a catch up mechanic that allows for convenience of immediate enjoyment? Not talking about legendary gear. Just talking about mobility. 

Edited by Hycinthus.6483
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Skyscale is an elite mount similar to the rollerbeatle and the griffin. 

Skyscale is straight up superior to the springer, i have had 0 uses for springer while using the skyscale. 

For a mount that replaces one of the mount, adds massive more utility than faster mount, it should require some sorta effort.

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hycinthus.6483 said:

I don’t think there’s a debate about time being spent. 

The comment chain you've just quoted my post from is exactly about that though:

To go back to the original point of the OP, the main issue is that for new players/returners, doing the Skyscale grind leads him to a burnout. 

Chances are, anything he tries to rush will get him close to burnout. Maybe people should stop trapping themselves in their idea of "needing to complete/get it NOW".

And this is a common theme.  If you look at videos, it’s common to see this as the top-rated comment. So I think the OP’s point is - how can we have a better game design to allow people to get Skyscale that will not burn out players? Imagine how many new players quit because they are grinding Skyscale.

And why is the skyscale some kind of ultimate goal a new player needs now? Because that's the first question you should be asking here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Hycinthus.6483 said:

The main issue here is just that those new players and returners are simply wrong in how they approach the Skyscale.

They are not supposed to burn through it in as few days as possible. It is supposed to take a few weeks.

If they burn themselves out on their own, because they chose the wrong approach, it's their own fault.

Arenanet shouldn't need to address this kind of them problem.

Also, (in my opinion) new players and returners should experience the world and its contents long before they can skip things with a flying mount.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

...One look at the requirements and it makes me not only never want a sky scale but makes me want to quit the game altogether...

I didn't read the whole thread, so excuse me if something was mentioned before.

I feel you, because I didn't enjoy most of the tasks required to obtain the skyscale. For example it was just annoying to collect some scales in the zone and return the next day to collect eggs at the very same locations (only the hints to said locations were different). Another thing that annoyed me was the collection of one stack of each map currency, especially because I already had them in my bank and decided to convert them to sellable materials one week before the release of the skyscale.

But don't let the long list of tasks get you discouraged. You could do them one by one and if you do it only once a week and the process takes you a whole year to complete, so be it. 😊

If you decide to ignore the skyscale completely, let me assure you that there is only one thing that other mounts can't do: afk-hovering midair. Every other task can be done with other mounts more efficiently and in a more fun way. The skyscale is just a convenient "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of mount.

Edited by Andur.9275
edit typo
  • Like 4

I just have to get a saddle for my dragon now, so I'll have a dragon soon. It took a long time because I was in no hurry (sometimes I didn't even use the wiki because I wanted to do it myself, haha!). I enjoyed it because I found a lot of interesting things on the map that I had missed before. 

I can see why it can be tiring if you try to do everything at once. You don't have to do everything at once. Do it when you're in the mood to look something up!

• Like 5