Suggestion to bring back chrono as a quickness+alacrity provider

anbujackson.9564

So I know that Anet doesnt want a class to provide both boons but hear me out on my reasoning and hate me later for it.

Chrono is arguably in a very bad spot at the moment. Its support options are weak, especially as alacrity provider. For reference you can check the wingman data. After the rework in June 2022 the chrono playrate went down significantly (it was already shrinking because other options were introduced which were also stronger). It especially suffers from nerfed traits in chaos and nerfed utility skills (SoI, timewarp, bad new wells). Sure you can say that Anet might fix the issues after 1,2 or 10 patches... I want to have chrono back for another reason.

First of all: It would be enough to revert the changes to shield (provide quickness+alac on every target hit, no player limit), increase the effect of SoI when using the GM trait in inspiration to 5 seconds or make it 10 target (not that important though) while making it baseline 5men again, revert the well changes (feel free to give them a pulsing boon application while on it), make timewarp a useful elite again and thats pretty much it.

Why should it exist?: Well two reasons really. For one it gives supports/healers the option to run different builds, like a tempest healer can run shout heal, a druid can use something else than spirits, you can even run a rev healer and dont kitten your party boons or something and so on. Second... A chrono deals hardly any dps because it needs to invest a lot in boon duration to cover both boons. I mean just compare it to the hybrid dps that deal 30k+. In addition you still need a healer that provides every other boon besides quickness, alacrity and some aegis. So the total dps of a chrono + heal support is inferior to any other option we have today.

So in the end it gives the playerbase more options to choose from and it wont dominate like it used to because literally everything nowadays is powercrept and stronger than chrono right before it was nerfed or well... reworked. And yeah.. at least chrono had "some" form of rotation to provide the boons compared to the auto pulses and instant casts we have now.

On that regard I find it funny that the developers apparently think that chrono providing both boons is more unhealthy for the game than the powercreep in support and dps we have gotten in the past patches. 

Edited by anbujackson.9564
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I'd just rather keep the choice of Quick or Alac for the Chronomancer and give it the ability to maintain other boons so it's a valid option for a support class.

I think focusing on defensive boons would be good. Shields are inherently defensive after all. 100% Protection and or Stability with a bit more Aegis. Might would be the most desired but most other classes can provide additional Might also.

I think the Continuum Split will inherently make the class problematic for being a DPS class. The Chrono can theoretically be the highest DPS Mesmer. But that is one in perfect build up circumstances with a very high skill floor. They can make the Chrono DPS viable for the top 5% of players but then the average player will be doing about 80% of the damage that they could be getting out of a Mirage or Virtuoso.

Or they can make it to where the average player DPS is even regardless of spec but then the top players wouldn't play any other DPS spec because the Chrono would be the highest damage.

Chrono already can be a decent DPS if your a decent enough skill.

It's Quickness generation is tied to the same mechanics that provide its DPS. So a decently skilled player can provide Quickness while still providing adequate DPS.

It really just needs some additional boon uptime to make for a defensive Alac support.

Edit: I'm actually opposed to the idea of Chrono being both a Quick and Alac provider for two reasons.

One: The other classes are designed to provide their supports while providing either Quickness or Alacrity. So there will not be other builds figured out to match the Chrono providing all the needed additional boons needed without overlapping Quick or Alac.

Two: There is at least the perception that the combination of Quick and Alac is so powerful. 

They would have to slash the DPS and keep the class from being a significant provider of other buffs.

So it would just end up being left behind like it was before they split the Quick and Alac due to other classes providing the boons better.

I just think the class will be best having a choice of being a DPS build, Quickness DPS, or a Alac Defensive Support.

Edited by Roadkizzle.2157
  • Confused 1

chrono shouldve remained like this. with the offensive options ending up at 10k dps, alongside a ~3k healer

literally every update along the way was just killing a core mechanic of the build. p sure nobody cares and theyre pushing out randomized updates for the sake of "content" for the endgame scene

i figured they'd implement an actual lfg with roles but they havent even done anything with the shift to exclusive 5man boons lel

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 11:33 PM, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

Chrono already can be a decent DPS if your a decent enough skill.

It's Quickness generation is tied to the same mechanics that provide its DPS. So a decently skilled player can provide Quickness while still providing adequate DPS.

It really just needs some additional boon uptime to make for a defensive Alac support.

Edit: I'm actually opposed to the idea of Chrono being both a Quick and Alac provider for two reasons.

One: The other classes are designed to provide their supports while providing either Quickness or Alacrity. So there will not be other builds figured out to match the Chrono providing all the needed additional boons needed without overlapping Quick or Alac.

Two: There is at least the perception that the combination of Quick and Alac is so powerful. 

They would have to slash the DPS and keep the class from being a significant provider of other buffs.

So it would just end up being left behind like it was before they split the Quick and Alac due to other classes providing the boons better.

I just think the class will be best having a choice of being a DPS build, Quickness DPS, or a Alac Defensive Support.

Thanks for your statement. I would like to emphasize some points.

What I meant by low dps on chrono is that running domination + inspiration with high boon duration gear will result in low dps because you have to invest everything to cover the boons. You dont have to slash the dps at all. Just by the way its providing its boons, your dps cant be high. Compared to other classes, chrono has to output a lot of skills with cast times, especially at the start and during the fight when using continuum split. The only time its dps was higher is when it dropped inspiration for dueling which you rarely did because it cut in your overall uptime if both chronos didnt have 10men SoI.

While its true that other classes are designed to provide only one boon, chrono by origin was designed to provide both, being a time wizard and all. Simply dont give it additional boons. You are reliant on a healer anyway.

And like I said it fixes the issues of healers right now. Especially the alac provider healers. Tempest players complain that they cant shout heal, now they can. Druids dont want to spam 3-4 spirits, now they can. Probably specter could profit from it too instead of spamming wells. There is probably more out there, like also firebrand focussing on healing only. And combining chrono with a healer will result in lower dps overall.

And thats not a bad thing. What matters is variety. Quite frankly I dont see any issues with it at all. Now we are just waiting for additional changes. It could take god who knows how long until they figured out a good way to change it. I think those ressources are better spent elsewhere.

Edited by anbujackson.9564

4 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

Thanks for your statement. I would like to emphasize some points.

What I meant by low dps on chrono is that running domination + inspiration with high boon duration gear will result in low dps because you have to invest everything to cover the boons. You dont have to slash the dps at all. Just by the way its providing its boons, your dps cant be high. Compared to other classes, chrono has to output a lot of skills with cast times, especially at the start and during the fight when using continuum split. The only time its dps was higher is when it dropped inspiration for dueling which you rarely did because it cut in your overall uptime if both chronos didnt have 10men SoI.

While its true that other classes are designed to provide only one boon, chrono by origin was designed to provide both, being a time wizard and all. Simply dont give it additional boons. You are reliant on a healer anyway.

And like I said it fixes the issues of healers right now. Especially the alac provider healers. Tempest players complain that they cant shout heal, now they can. Druids dont want to spam 3-4 spirits, now they can. Probably specter could profit from it too instead of spamming wells. There is probably more out there, like also firebrand focussing on healing only. And combining chrono with a healer will result in lower dps overall.

And thats not a bad thing. What matters is variety. Quite frankly I dont see any issues with it at all. Now we are just waiting for additional changes. It could take god who knows how long until they figured out a good way to change it. I think those ressources are better spent elsewhere.

Quickness Chrono isn't dependent on high cast times. You get out Phantasms and Clones which are fast to get out and then Shatters provide Quickness which are instant cast.

Alac Chrono does have cast times to get out the Wells.

The Quickness DPS build functions really the same as the normal DPS build just with the Grandmaster trait swapped and gear with more Concentration.

My point with the other support builds is different than what you seem to be thinking. Your idea will work if you only play in a Premade group. But it will just cause problems in any Pickup games. Arenanet has not designed the other specializations to create support builds without either Alac or Quick. The player base doesn't create Boon Support builds without building in either Quick or Alac. So if you join a group one will be doubled up. 

If Chrono provides both boons then people will be able to build their healers to compensate but the healers wouldn't be able to guarantee a Support Chrono so they'd have to be prepared to be with another support providing only a single of the big boons.

At the point in the meta I'd rather the Chrono fit in with the other support classes than try to be the odd man out to where it doesn't fit with any of the other support specs.

On 5/29/2023 at 2:09 AM, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

Quickness Chrono isn't dependent on high cast times. You get out Phantasms and Clones which are fast to get out and then Shatters provide Quickness which are instant cast.

Alac Chrono does have cast times to get out the Wells.

The Quickness DPS build functions really the same as the normal DPS build just with the Grandmaster trait swapped and gear with more Concentration.

My point with the other support builds is different than what you seem to be thinking. Your idea will work if you only play in a Premade group. But it will just cause problems in any Pickup games. Arenanet has not designed the other specializations to create support builds without either Alac or Quick. The player base doesn't create Boon Support builds without building in either Quick or Alac. So if you join a group one will be doubled up. 

If Chrono provides both boons then people will be able to build their healers to compensate but the healers wouldn't be able to guarantee a Support Chrono so they'd have to be prepared to be with another support providing only a single of the big boons.

At the point in the meta I'd rather the Chrono fit in with the other support classes than try to be the odd man out to where it doesn't fit with any of the other support specs.

Thats correct. I never said that it isnt. I said that the old chrono was. You cant compare quickness dps with the old quickness+alac chrono. 

Sorry but thats just wrong. Specializations werent designed to provide either at the beginning. You only need to take 1 trait in most cases to provide those boons. Its the community that has the impression that one build has to provide one or the other. Tempest support can run shout heal. You just change one trait. Its not like anyone would care about that. Druids can use glyphs because spirits in general arent really good in itself anymore.

But yeah, its probably beyond changing again at this point.

5 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

Thats correct. I never said that it isnt. I said that the old chrono was. You cant compare quickness dps with the old quickness+alac chrono. 

Sorry but thats just wrong. Specializations werent designed to provide either at the beginning. You only need to take 1 trait in most cases to provide those boons. Its the community that has the impression that one build has to provide one or the other. Tempest support can run shout heal. You just change one trait. Its not like anyone would care about that. Druids can use glyphs because spirits in general arent really good in itself anymore.

But yeah, its probably beyond changing again at this point.

Sure. But time moves on. Sure the builds in the past weren't designed to provide either boon.

But once they were added to the different professions then Anet changed the trait designs to build rounded support characters with those boons.

You can't keep living in the past because things change. If you design a class to fit in with the game design from 2015 then it just wont fit in with how the game is designed in 2023.

I don't want the spec to be restricted to what it can do because it's providing the two most important boons and carrying squads on its own. I want there to be room for different options which I think is more likely by keeping tied in with the same game design space as the rest of the specs.